7/19- Twins at Sox Gm 1, 4:10

flavum

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think there is plenty of middle ground people here who are pretty much over the hiring and are more focused on the how the team has performed under him. Plus seeing some posters continue to stick pins in their voodoo dolls every chance they get in nearly every thread they can work it just riles up the people who rather just focus on the team. If TLR was really such a villain surely he'd be in jail or at the very least in Bauer-like limbo.

I can imagine winning the World Series and the 1st words out of some peoples mouths will be about how TLR will get smashed again and the ensuing results will hopefully prevent him from managing again in 2023.

Yep—I think I fall in that category.  No fan of the hire and still nervous about in-game managing in the playoffs.  But that’s all outweighed by my excitement about the team’s performance, and I acknowledge that a) it’s entirely possible that TLR is responsible for some aspects of it that I’m not seeing and b) even if he’s not, at some point endlessly bitching about the manager of a really successful team kind of makes you look like a fanatic.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Then the problem becomes complacency and not being challenged enough in their own division, which has been. the case for division ever since Indians' World Series run. 

It will be interesting to see how the AL East and NL West teams do in the playoffs since those are arguably the two toughest divisions...although that West is historically top heavy, even more so than the 2006 AL Central. 

I am not averse to Cleveland and Detroit getting new ownership and attempting to win, or Kansas City shedding their Neanderthal approach to baseball and life, and giving the Sox a good fight, just to fall short in the end. It will better prepare the Sox for war in October. All three of these teams have proven worthy postseason competitors when they have qualified more often then not, since the creation of the AL Central.

My wish for complete annihilation, for no mercy sensei, is reserved solely for the Minnesota Twins led by their captain Josh Donaldson. For 30 years they have proven incapable in all but one instance of advancing even a single round in the playoffs, and in a majority of their playoff appearances, they have failed to win a single game. They have embarrassed themselves, their Central brethren, their mothers, and the human race, hopefully for the last time in 2020.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Kopech SHOULD start Game 2.  If Lopez starts game 2, Sox are swinging the bat bottom 1 down 4-0. 

Well, the Twins would be a good opportunity for them to see why he has in the tank and / or potentially build trade value.

30 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I am not averse to Cleveland and Detroit getting new ownership and attempting to win, or Kansas City shedding their Neanderthal approach to baseball and life, and giving the Sox a good fight, just to fall short in the end. It will better prepare the Sox for war in October. All three of these teams have proven worthy postseason competitors when they have qualified more often then not, since the creation of the AL Central.

My wish for complete annihilation, for no mercy sensei, is reserved solely for the Minnesota Twins led by their captain Josh Donaldson. For 30 years they have proven incapable in all but one instance of advancing even a single round in the playoffs, and in a majority of their playoff appearances, they have failed to win a single game. They have embarrassed themselves, their Central brethren, their mothers, and the human race, hopefully for the last time in 2020.

Don’t hold back.  How do you really feel?

I'm really liking Yoan getting some DH starts.  Keep him healthy and fresh and see if Burger can keep up his hot streak.  So far Burger looks completely fine at 3B.  Not going to make some of the plays Yoan does, and hasn't really been tested yet on a turn, but he makes the plays that need to be made. His range on the popup late yesterday was pretty impressive looked like TA was giving him a little shit for how quickly he got over there, like TA was ready but not needed and they laughed about it.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm really liking Yoan getting some DH starts.  Keep him healthy and fresh and see if Burger can keep up his hot streak.  So far Burger looks completely fine at 3B.  Not going to make some of the plays Yoan does, and hasn't really been tested yet on a turn, but he makes the plays that need to be made. His range on the popup late yesterday was pretty impressive looked like TA was giving him a little shit for how quickly he got over there, like TA was ready but not needed and they laughed about it.

It just tells me his shoulder is still hurting him

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

It just tells me his shoulder is still hurting him

On a day with a doubleheader, I’m cool with him DHing game one and then playing him at third with Sheets DHing in the game later against a tougher righty. Also torn on who I would catch either game: lefty against the tougher righty or better defender with Lopez?

Edited by manbearpuig

37 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Co-sign. Also pleased Adam is healthy enough to start back to back days for only the second time this season (June 10-11).

Believe Jose may DH the second game, with Tim the lone player manning the same position twice (Vaughn shifting to 1B and Goodwin to LF for Game 2).

Expecting this lineup for Game 2 against the tougher starter (Berrios):

SS Anderson 3B Moncada #; DH Abreu; LF Goodwin ^; 1B Vaughn; 2B Garcia #; RF Sheets^; CF Hamilton; C Collins^.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

5 hours ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Kopech SHOULD start Game 2.  If Lopez starts game 2, Sox are swinging the bat bottom 1 down 4-0. 

Won't. 

Kopech pitched a meaningless inning yesterday which TLR said before the game if he pitched he would not start the DH.   Bonehead move by TLR pitching him when you have all those bullpen guys on 2 weeks rest and a 4 run lead, why even pay them if none (on 2 weeks rest) can give you 1 inning 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

ReyLo has been decent in his last 3 minor league starts. The Ks have been there. He also looked solid in his one relief outting this year. Maybe he was working on something or figured something out down low. If anything, this is a potential showcase opportunity. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ron883 said:

ReyLo has been decent in his last 3 minor league starts. The Ks have been there. He also looked solid in his one relief outting this year. Maybe he was working on something or figured something out down low. If anything, this is a potential showcase opportunity. 

I have no expectations or faith but if Katz thinks he’s the guy for the 2nd  game he’s earned the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Won't. 

Kopech pitched a meaningless inning yesterday which TLR said before the game if he pitched he would not start the DH.   Bonehead move by TLR pitching him when you have all those bullpen guys on 2 weeks rest and a 4 run lead, why even pay them if none (on 2 weeks rest) can give you 1 inning 

Kopech isn't stretched out at all.  He's not really in a position to start a game right now.  I guess you could run him out there for 2 innings as the beginning of the stretching him out process.  But I don't really care that Kopech isn't starting today - the bullpen would have for sure had to cover 5 innings in the 2nd game, which ideally is something you want to avoid. What I do hate is TLR not using Kopech for 2 innings yesterday.  Again, the dude needs to get stretched out and 10 pitch single innings aren't going to get his innings up.  He's pitched 36 innings so far this season, and we need to see that number more than double in the next 10 weeks. And burning Liam in that game was just dumb. 

That all said, don't really get why ReyLo is one the getting the start. But I guess if Kopech isn't able to go 3-4 innings, Sox are not exactly flush with options.  I get the now or never attitude with ReyLo, but he makes $2.1M this year.  He's almost certainly getting non-tendered in December unless he provides a miraculous 2nd half out of the pen, which simply just isn't happening.  So its a real head scratcher for sure. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Won't. 

That wasn't a meaningless inning. It wasn't exactly a blowout, and the Astros are basically the best offence in the league. They can score 3 or 4 runs pretty quick. I don't hate using your studs to make sure a W goes on the board there. Especially considering the potential crisis of confidence in not being able to beat the best teams. I assume Kopech is still available today as well in relief.

But that's just my two cents...

Now I just hope Reynaldo turns out to be a better decision than just a bullpen game where Burr or whomever starts.

• Like 4