Luis Robert cleared for Rehab Assignment

maxjusttyped

3 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Sheets will go down because he has options.

Yes.  Especially with Goodwin destroying righties this year.  I think we’re all happy with Sheets first impression here but he’s the logical one to go down here.

Also, is there any reason to keep Collins over Seby?  Is it cause he hits right handers ok?  I just don’t get that at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

Yes.  Especially with Goodwin destroying righties this year.  I think we’re all happy with Sheets first impression here but he’s the logical one to go down here.

Also, is there any reason to keep Collins over Seby?  Is it cause he hits right handers ok?  I just don’t get that at this point.

I bet Collins stays over Seby but I will guess that Collins gets dealt somewhere this off-season based on nothing. And then have a better defensive catcher as a backup next year.

Edited by manbearpuig

Just now, manbearpuig said:

I bet Collins stays over Seby but I will guess that Collins gets dealt somewhere this off-season based on nothing. And then have a better defensive catcher as a backup next year.

Probably to the Rays.  Where he hits 35 homers in 2022.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Yeah I would assume the first game would be day 1. So it looks like he can play through this week and come back Monday at the latest (without any setbacks)?

August 10th at the latest it seems and a realistic hope would indeed be Monday vs Twins.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you as I have no idea what the Sox opinion on both guys is at the moment.  I personally just don’t see the point of keeping Collins over Seby.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The talking radio heads seemed to be hinting seby would be staying over collins even before his miracle game. Wouldn't be surprised at this point

It makes sense if with the extra september rosters we get Sheets to be the LH hitter.

Here are some guys you could imagine the Sox could release:  Burdi, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Lamb.

Then after the season, they have a lot of free agents:  Rodon, Lamb, Goodwin, Hamilton, Leury Garcia, Hernandez (option), Kimbrel (option).  Adolfo is out of options, neither Rutherford nor Gonzalez are big impact players (solid chance you could slide them through).  Lot of options moving forward.

48 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Here are some guys you could imagine the Sox could release:  Burdi, Adolfo, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Lamb.

Then after the season, they have a lot of free agents:  Rodon, Lamb, Goodwin, Hamilton, Leury Garcia, Hernandez (option), Kimbrel (option).  Adolfo is out of options, neither Rutherford nor Gonzalez are big impact players (solid chance you could slide them through).  Lot of options moving forward.

I’d have to think a team would roll the dice on Rutherford as a rule 5, no?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I’d have to think a team would roll the dice on Rutherford as a rule 5, no?

The chances Rutherford gets DFA'd, clears waivers, is outrighted, and then gets taken in the Rule 5 draft is about as high as you and I playing in the MLB next year.

If another team wants Rutherford, they'll just grab him off waivers when he gets DFA'd in a couple months (or sooner) and not have to hold him on the MLB roster for the entirety of 2022 to retain him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

How on earth can Seby be vaulted over Collins so quickly?  I don't buy it.  The guy was a non-prospect a couple weeks ago.  Has he really done enough in a handful of games to fundamentally change that and displace a first-round pick with a great eye (even if he has driven us crazy)?

The most import parts of catching aren't in the box score: game planning, working with pitchers before and during games, calling, framing, monitoring defensive positioning, saving wild pitches.  How the pitchers feel about throwing to him or Collins is a big part of the decision process.  If everyone is back and healthy,  then the line-up can afford a lesser hitting catcher.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

How on earth can Seby be vaulted over Collins so quickly?  I don't buy it.  The guy was a non-prospect a couple weeks ago.  Has he really done enough in a handful of games to fundamentally change that and displace a first-round pick with a great eye (even if he has driven us crazy)?

He’s 8 billion times better behind the plate than Collins.  All Collins brings to the table is he’s ok against rhp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

Sheet's swing looks a lot like Matt Olson's.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Honestly...Hahn should throw trade feelers out to TB every year just to find out who Tampa finds interesting to acquire...just to update their depth chart.

Fantastic idea. You deserve a job in our front office.

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

When is Robert's 20 days up ? Just going by how much he is playing the OF in Charlotte they are really taking their time with him. It's basically play DH, play CF then day of rest so he has only been playing OF 1 of every 3 games.

Is it possible that he can play longer in Charlotte or do we see the same kind of usage once he returns for another week or longer ? The division lead means the Sox can afford to slow play him so I don't want to see a bunch of "why isn't Robert in CF today". I'd be more than happy to see him play RF and DH upon his return and stick Engel in CF until you are sure he can play CF 4 or 5 times a week.

I love your idea to play Robert in RF (and Engel in CF) at last until Robert shows he can run gap to gap like he once did.  Engel has shown he is one of the best when it comes to going back to the fence to catch balls and even robbing home runs. In the meantime, Robert's arm plays well in RF.

Seby can't hit, I don't care how well he catches. Yes, 3 homer game notwithstanding. Unless Frank Menecchino just taught him something that he didn't know when he struck out 40% of his PA in Charlotte, Seby's gotta go and shouldn't be playing this much as it is.

14 hours ago, steveno89 said:

My vote is to cut bait with Rutherford

A 69 wRC+ in AAA at age 24 is not going to be missed by the organization. He never developed the pop or hit tool he was supposed to.

That"s why the Yankees peddled him off on Kenny-Hahn.  They knew he had a low ceiling.

Just because Reinsdorf doesn't spend on elite scouts and on-field difference makers doesn't mean other ownerships don't.

Sox fans are going to be in catatonic shock when they finally experience what is like having affluent sportsmen running the organization.

It will happen because Reinsdorf  can't / won't spend to keep this team together and / or improve it.

Edited by GradMc
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, GradMc said:

That"s why the Yankees peddled him off on Kenny-Hahn.  They knew had a low ceiling.

Just because Reinsdorf doesn't spend on elite scouts and on-field difference makers doesn't mean other ownerships don't.

Sox fans are going to be in catatonic shock when they finally experience what is like having affluent sportsmen running the organization.

It will happen because Reinsdorf  can't / won't spend to keep this team together and / or improve it.

Can you give an example of an "affluent sportsmen", because I believe I speak for a lot of us that we don't know how you are using this term.

Are the hedge fund owners of the Dodgers and Mets affluent sportsmen? The Steinbrenner Family? Mark Cuban? The fleabag Rickett Family? Any other affluent sportsmen in MLB ownership suites? 

All signs point to the Reinsdorf children taking over when Jerry steps down or passes. If the Reinsdorf children take up fox hunting, sailing, or equestrian sports like showjumping, steeplechase or polo, would they become affluent sportsmen/women, and would that improve White Sox fortunes?

Can we expect Grey Poupon at concession stands?

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1