7/21 Gamethread: Cease vs. Pineda, 7:10 PM

KrankinSox

According to an article on cbssports acouple of days ago, Katz said he is planning on treating all of his pitchers as if 2020 were a normal year because no one knows what the effect may be. This includes Rodon.

This has me concerned about what the Sox starters will look like in the playoffs. They already have thrown more innings than most starting staffs. I think Katz may be a little short sighted here.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

According to an article on cbssports acouple of days ago, Katz said he is planning on treating all of his pitchers as if 2020 were a normal year because no one knows what the effect may be. This includes Rodon.

This has me concerned about what the Sox starters will look like in the playoffs. They already have thrown more innings than most starting staffs. I think Katz may be a little short sighted here.

Some additional context: Carlos Rodon threw only 7 2/3 innings in 2020, his first year back from Tommy John surgery. You'd expect the buildup to be particularly cautious after a reconstructive procedure, but Rodon's breakthrough has only invited more work. The White Sox don't have much incentive to slow him down seeing as he's not on the payroll for next year, and it's worth noting that pitching coach Ethan Katz didn't anticipate treating any of his pitchers differently coming off the short season. "The main thing is, nobody knows," Katz said in spring training, noting that it'll depend how each individual pitcher is feeling. He also suggested that 200 innings was a goal for every pitcher, playoffs included, so in his mind, Rodon may be right on track.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/fantasy-baseball-14-pitchers-facing-possible-innings-limit-including-carlos-rodon-and-freddy-peralta/

"Hmmm, I wonder if Pineda has done anything since the White Sox faced him last, I remember them hitting him pretty well."

Pineda's last start - July 7, 5.1 innings, 5 ER, by the White Sox, his era jumped by 0.41.

Well, that answers that question.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's why I went looking for the original blurb.

The important comment is that he is not going to treat the pitchers differently this year because nobody knows.

The one thing I wills say about Rodon is that he hasn't lost any stuff so far this year.  He also really seems to have matured into pacing himself during a game.  He throws softest in the first innings, and reaches back for what he needs, when he needs it.

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I hate to say it...if they wreck Carlos arm Long term for a championship this season...is anyone here going to be really sad? I for one think Carlos input into his usage is what matters. He wants a payday...and knows the risks.

I will be sad if it is wrecked for the playoff run.  That's my main worry.

16 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

With a 9.5 game lead, it would be criminal to not limit the starters moving forward.  If you can skip 2 starts each at a minimum that would make sense to me.

Getting a guy to start and have a defacto 6 man rotation the resto of the way.

Who that guy is , who knows.  

Quite clearly Kopech needs innings, so he should absolutely be contributing to the rotation whether it's as a 6 man rotation or giving a lot of spot starts. 

But, that would take away one of their only two reliable relievers right now, which is a problem that needs to be dealt with in the next 9 days.

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But he also said it depends on how each pitcher is feeling.

Regardless of how they feel, plus who knows if they are honest,  it's his job to make sure they are ready for the post season at this point. That increased workload will take it's toll. It may be too late once they feel it.

I would prefer he be a little proactive instead of reactive when an issue arises.