Yermin retiring? Nope. Wait, maybe yes? Wait, he's active in Charlotte again.

DurhamStance

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You just cited a bunch of guys who had success at an early age and said “LaRussa was fine with them he should be able to treat a 29 year old who has been beaten up by the game with financial issues the same, and if they can’t swing it, it’s their fault.” Which is sort of exactly the attitude I’d expect from a LaRussa, frankly - he’s the important one, and who out there would expect a manager to support their players or understand their different needs? 

Puljols didn't have that success when he started neither did McGwire or Canseco. They were rookies when it started.  They eventually became stars.

The microscope of being a professional athlete lends itself to those types of pressures.  Even if TLR let Mercedes get away with ignoring what he told him to do, which he shouldn't I don't care what need he has, something else would have done it if he can't handle it.

Not being able to handle this type of pressure is why many professional athletes fail. Many have the talent but can't handle the intense pressure and scrutiny that goes with it. Mercedes is not alone in this.

I can't stand Tony LaRussa and would like to blame him for everything that I think is wrong in the world, but at some point .150/.220/.196 in 118 plate appearances is on the player. If that one incident, where I think LaRussa couldn't have been more wrong, caused that, Yermin isn't mentally capable of being a major leaguer. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

I wish him the best.  Yermin was the great story from the early season.  Let's win it this year and get him a Ring for carrying this team offensively at the beginning of the year.

Not only a ring but the playoff shares and WS shares that go along with it.

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Let’s say it this way….if Tony LaRussa had a Hispanic player who had some of those issues, saw him having too much joy in the game, and said “I need to take that away from him and embarrass him in front of everyone”, the player’s mental issues make that decision by LaRussa look even worse. Whether it was a chapter in the end of his career or the only chapter…it was something the coach shouldn’t have done at the time to any player, and doing it to a guy who was struggling with personal things that the manager should have known something about…yuck.

Dear God

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When Grandal went down, Yermin thought he should go up.  Didn't happen.  Zavalo got the call, and Yermin is obviously the better hitter.  So he came apart.  That's my simple analysis.  He can still recover and come back somewhere next year.  Of course, he should have stayed and just continued mashing.

• Like 6

If a player like Yermin is on the 40 man and is getting the major league minimum salary, then gets sent down but stays on the 40 man roster, does he continue getting the same salary while at Charlotte?  Just wondering.

Two things worth pointing out.  First, Yermin hasn’t communicated any plans to the Sox, so as of this moment he hasn’t technically “retired”.  Unless there is something dark behind this, it’s entirely possible a quick conversation with the front office / Tony changes gets him to change his “plans”.  Part of me thinks / hopes this is just a dude who’s a little entitled after having some success and is basically throwing a pity party.  I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

That feeds into point two which is Yermin was incredibly productive for Charlotte and likely would have a gotten a shot elsewhere.  The universal DH is almost certainly coming and I’m sure there are some NL clubs who would take a chance on him if the cost were reasonable.  Even if this public retirement ends up being short-lived, he’s probably made getting another opportunity that much harder.  Again, hopefully there isn’t something dark behind this, but it’s very possible a lack maturity will end costing him in the end.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

So assuming he 100% walks away but decides in the off-season he wants to try again, would he technically be controlled by the Sox? I assume the Sox would release him and let him to go to Japan or something.

If that was possible, then almost every player who didn’t like his team in the first 3-4 years of his big league contract would bolt.

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

If a player like Yermin is on the 40 man and is getting the major league minimum salary, then gets sent down but stays on the 40 man roster, does he continue getting the same salary while at Charlotte?  Just wondering.

It should revert back to AAA salary after received a prorated major league salary for basically 2 1/2 or 3 months…

Even if part of it was hating the pay and way they travel in the minors, the season is over what, end of August/early September? With rosters expanding by 2 in September, he probably would have been called up as a “third catcher” and pinch hitter against lefties.

Edited by manbearpuig

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Let’s say it this way….if Tony LaRussa had a Hispanic player who had some of those issues, saw him having too much joy in the game, and said “I need to take that away from him and embarrass him in front of everyone”, the player’s mental issues make that decision by LaRussa look even worse. Whether it was a chapter in the end of his career or the only chapter…it was something the coach shouldn’t have done at the time to any player, and doing it to a guy who was struggling with personal things that the manager should have known something about…yuck.

Lmao, Balta being Balta

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spicygar said:

Pujols had that success right away. His rookie season is insane.

Right but I thought he was referring more to the comfortable financial status and not ruining his career. The Bash bros were successful Right away from performance as well. I think McGwire had 49 home runs his rookie year.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Right but I thought he was referring more to the comfortable financial status and not ruining his career. The Bash bros were successful Right away from performance as well. I think McGwire had 49 home runs his rookie year.

Gotcha. Thought it was performance based

42 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

So assuming he 100% walks away but decides in the off-season he wants to try again, would he technically be controlled by the Sox? I assume the Sox would release him and let him to go to Japan or something.

As long as the Sox don’t release him, ya. 

The guy was struggling at the plate. That falls on the player. He could’ve continued mashing the ball but he didn’t, end of story. How TLR responded to him swinging on the 3-0 pitch was wrong so he did throw him under the bus which is something you don’t do to one of your players so both sides are responsible. Good for Tony to call him up and see what’s going on. That’s what a good manager does. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, soulfly said:

TLR shit all over him publicly after a 3-0 pitch.  He was on fucking fire leading up to that moment.  Everything went down hill for him from there.  None of us have any idea how he took that mentally, so you can't really say there is zero possibility what TLR did had any impact on him.  Clearly things changed for him after that moment.  Maybe it was TLR crusty old ass, or it was the league adjusting to him, or he was never that good in the first place.  We probably will never know and only Yermin knows for sure.  Hopefully he's ok mentally.  That's the most important thing.

Yermin was hitting .224 14 games before 3-0gate.  Go to ANY JOB in the United States... if you can't handle getting called out by your boss, maybe you are the problem. 

• Like 2