Yermin retiring? Nope. Wait, maybe yes? Wait, he's active in Charlotte again.

DurhamStance

Eventually players run out of teams willing to give a player a chance. Teams aren't stupid, scouts and managers saw the raw talent, gave him a try for a while and moved on.  He's a footnote in Sox history. 

Giving him someone else to blame may also be a problem. Didn't one of his former managers state he could never take responsibility for his own actions? 9

His early mega success may have been his downfall. In golf it's guys winning a major, are cashing in on opportunities and think they should be top 10 every week. 

8 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Actually I’d argue the only thing that’s 100% true is none of us know a damn thing about it

I know LaRussa’s comments on swinging on 3-0 and calling his rookie clueless we’re wrong. It doesn’t have to do with Yermin going in a slump or retiring. It was wrong in the moment like it’s wrong now. I know that to be 100% true. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Yermin was hitting .224 14 games before 3-0gate.  Go to ANY JOB in the United States... if you can't handle getting called out by your boss, maybe you are the problem. 

I agree.  But a hall of fame guy boss? That must be hall of fame level calling out. Lol

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It should revert back to AAA salary after received a prorated major league salary for basically 2 1/2 or 3 months…

I believe this is correct. pro-rated league minimum MLB salary during his time up, and then i believe there is a 40 man salary for AAA. Like I think there's a difference if you're on the 40 man and in the minors vs. just in AAA. Could be wrong. I had a few friends who were AAAA players & we'd always try to figure out how much they were making. I think it turned out to be close to like $150k in AAA. 

Regardless. as someone earlier pointed out... this isn't a 1:1 causation. there's a reason teams have sports psychologists on the payroll. imagine if at your job you were in a constant battle for the job, it was all public, you had to take questions everyday about your performance, your salary was known, etc. etc. It's not easy. Let's just say you were in construction and you weren't doing the job well enough and they demote you publicly, and then your friend takes over your spot. You have to be a strong, strong willed individual to do something like that for 10 years in the minors and then on an even bigger stage. 

Just my pure guess - I do think that TLR/3-0 count incident probably hurt him and probably had to do some with his downfall. Like 20% maybe. Baseball and golf are big mental sports. But the main culprit was that he didn't adjust when pitchers adjusted. he's crushing the ball down in AAA again and If i had to take a guess he was told something like get your stuff/swing figured out down in AAA and we'll get you back up here. He has, and he did, but in the meantime Burger, Sheets, etc. have run with the opportunity and bring more to the table so he's sitting in AAA blocked from a spot, Eloy coming back too .... Grandal is out and they have Seby who couldn't hit a softball at backup C, they trade for another Catcher ... It has to be beyond demoralizing to wait 10 years, get to the big leagues, become a cult hero, and then disappear into oblivion & know evne if youre hitting .400 in AAA that you're not coming back up. 

We can all sit around on our keyboards and say "well then he should be focused 110% on working on his catching" or "he needs to suck it up". But were not in his shoes. We dont know what the sox told him. 

also, just based on his post ... i know it wasn't the best english, but it did sound pretty guilty ... like he was trying to admit something that may be coming out. So that's my guess.. there's probably some smoke and fire to come out and there's no spot for him. 

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Two things can be true at once. 

TLR was 100% wrong in how he handled the 3-0 count/HR situation with Yermin. Basically the entire roster sided with Yermin over Tony. It was dumb then and it's still dumb now.

Under no circumstance should that situation lead someone to retire from the sport. Yermin had an incredible 6 week run or whatever it was, but decided he was "above" making adjustments at the plate, wanted to keep doing his own thing, and it led to him going back to AAA. If TLR throwing him under the bus was really his mental downfall, he didn't have much of a future with MLB to start with...

I wish the best for him, he's clearing upset with something and if he's not happy....go find that happiness. 

How did this take not basically close out the hot takes in the thread?

It was fun while it lasted! That would be April & May. Then the fame went to his head and he carved his nick name into it. His focus became the Home Run Derby & his hamburger and not Hitting the baseball. Can’t blame anybody but himself. He was fun but lost focus and his replacements have played pretty well so far. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I know LaRussa’s comments on swinging on 3-0 and calling his rookie clueless we’re wrong. It doesn’t have to do with Yermin going in a slump or retiring. It was wrong in the moment like it’s wrong now. I know that to be 100% true. 

I think it was wrong to do it publicly.  The manager has every right to get on his case when he ignores him.

SOMETHING in the organization set Yermin off.  Obviously he doesn't specify what it was exactly, but it is there in his statement.  It could be Tony, or it could be upper management telling him to work on something.  Whatever it is he took is EXTREMELY personally.

I just think in 2021, reading that statement, the guy is obviously in pain.  I mean this shouldn't be General Patton in  GI hospital slapping a troop suffering from what was then known as "shell shock" and was culturally thought of as just not being tough enough to handle war.  Today we actually understand Post Traumatic Stress Disorder will mess up even the toughest of troops.  Obviously none of us know what is going on in Yermin's head, but whatever it is, is real enough for him to be screaming for help.  Just because YOU don't see it, doesn't mean that it isn't real to him.

Again hopefully whatever the kid is going through gets fixed.  Even if he doesn't go back to baseball, hopefully he gets fixed whatever is ailing him.  He's got a whole life left to live.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

When Grandal went down, Yermin thought he should go up.  Didn't happen.  Zavalo got the call, and Yermin is obviously the better hitter.  So he came apart.  That's my simple analysis.  He can still recover and come back somewhere next year.  Of course, he should have stayed and just continued mashing.

Not only this but the Sox also brought in Grullon. While I've never seen Grullon catch, I can imagine he's a better receiver than Yermin.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Not only this but the Sox also brought in Grullon. While I've never seen Grullon catch, I can imagine he's a better receiver than Yermin.

Pretty much everyone is...although Collins is debatable 

Just now, Baron said:

Pretty much everyone is...although Collins is debatable 

I think Collins might be a better receiver on balls that have no chance of hitting the ground and Yermin would let up less passed balls than Collins. They're both awful behind the plate.

Watching Yermin catch for Rodon in Spring Training looked like Rodon was crossing him up every other pitch. He was stabbing for pitches in the zone.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

SOMETHING in the organization set Yermin off.  Obviously he doesn't specify what it was exactly, but it is there in his statement.  It could be Tony, or it could be upper management telling him to work on something.  Whatever it is he took is EXTREMELY personally.

I just think in 2021, reading that statement, the guy is obviously in pain.  I mean this shouldn't be General Patton in  GI hospital slapping a troop suffering from what was then known as "shell shock" and was culturally thought of as just not being tough enough to handle war.  Today we actually understand Post Traumatic Stress Disorder will mess up even the toughest of troops.  Obviously none of us know what is going on in Yermin's head, but whatever it is, is real enough for him to be screaming for help.  Just because YOU don't see it, doesn't mean that it isn't real to him.

Again hopefully whatever the kid is going through gets fixed.  Even if he doesn't go back to baseball, hopefully he gets fixed whatever is ailing him.  He's got a whole life left to live.

If you continue to be reasonable and level-headed, I don't think we can remain friends...

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Well, I know a person's mental health is more important than baseball so forgive me for being crass, but....this definitely tanks Yerm's trade value. Oh well.

Yeah, I mean Yermin was an asset.  Maybe not a big one, but he had 6 years of team control and its obvious he can hit a little.  Its an unfortunate development for the Sox.  

• Like 1

This is much ado about nothing.

Yermin had his moment in the sun, probably let it get to his head a little bit (having a burger named after him didn't help), and when his flaws were exposed -- which was a near certainty to happen -- and he was sent back to AAA, he couldn't handle the let down.

This story has played out thousands of times before for players like Yermin (was Palka's story really that different), but those guys usually keep playing in the minors or overseas for a few years afterward.

19 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

El Retiro = The Retirement 

He included an emoji that I understand as that he is contemplating retirement. Has he put out anything else as definitely saying he's retiring? Weird, toiling so long in the minors, finally had his shot and had a godly month and a half. Obviously the talent is there, you don't hit the way he hit without some some semblance of talent...maybe he doesn't have a spot with the White Sox but surely there would've been some MLB clubs willing to give him a shot, especially if the NL adopts the DH rule.

Hope Yermin can find peace in whatever he decides to do going forward. Suerte amigo.

30 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

This is much ado about nothing.

Yermin had his moment in the sun, probably let it get to his head a little bit (having a burger named after him didn't help), and when his flaws were exposed -- which was a near certainty to happen -- and he was sent back to AAA, he couldn't handle the let down.

This story has played out thousands of times before for players like Yermin (was Palka's story really that different), but those guys usually keep playing in the minors or overseas for a few years afterward.

Talk about burying the lede. 

4 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

What an impressive number of mental health experts on this board

Your contribution to this conversation so far has been to:

1) Comment on the board's lack of diversity

2) Comment on the board's ability to discuss mental health

Take a hike

• Like 1
  • Fire 1