Yermin retiring? Nope. Wait, maybe yes? Wait, he's active in Charlotte again.

DurhamStance

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I know LaRussa’s comments on swinging on 3-0 and calling his rookie clueless we’re wrong. It doesn’t have to do with Yermin going in a slump or retiring. It was wrong in the moment like it’s wrong now. I know that to be 100% true. 

I don't want this to go down the LaRussa rabbit hole but this situation is similar to what is happening with the cubs and Ross benching Baez.   Tony went about it very poorly but the lasting affect is the same in both places.  

The Rizzo base running yesterday is apples and oranges compared to Baez and Yermin but for some reason in the media it is becoming comparable.  In the same vein why is Anderson swinging at ball four (by a mile btw) in a major part of the game and Burger "just missing one" on 3-0 not an issue with Tony.  Again apples and oranges but they appear to now be how little people can grasp concepts in simple life.

Yermin has issues and most likely why his opportunity was so delayed and forced by Jimenez getting hurt but LaRussa did not derail this.  The new catcher brought in most likely did as his DH role for the forseeable future and any catching role are now gone.

Sad case as Yermin was a cult figure role that Hamilton has taken on nicely.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DanofDuPage said:

It was fun while it lasted! That would be April & May. Then the fame went to his head and he carved his nick name into it. His focus became the Home Run Derby & his hamburger and not Hitting the baseball. Can’t blame anybody but himself. He was fun but lost focus and his replacements have played pretty well so far. 

In many organizations you also need to catch a baseball.  He would have never made it in a NL farm system. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Any ideas what Yermin was referring to when he apologised for “the fruit of my immaturity.”? And he says he was stepping away from baseball "for a while". Do you think he has done something that has not come to light yet? I hope not for his sake as the first few weeks of this season were like a dream for him.

Words are important.  Mercedes waxing a bit poetic  "the fruit of my  immaturity"  almost calls for speculation. Some of the more common fruits of  immaturity come to mind as possibilities...youthful indiscretions with money, sex and drugs.  I have an idea what this might pertain to but I am not going to add my speculation  here.

• Thanks 1

Haven't posted here in eons -- but the Yermin talk interested me due to the range of opinions on TLR caused it, etc.

IMO, the issue ultimately wasn't TLR, and it wasn't even that Yermin had a gaping hole in his swing when opposing pitchers figured out you don't have to throw him strikes. This is something that could be corrected in the minors. The issue is Yermin bought into his own hype. He went from a guy that stormed out of the gate having fun, to a guy having a local burger named after him in a matter of weeks, to a guy wearing what I can only describe as olympic gold medals around his neck.

I absolutely believe his eye can be corrected with some practice in AAA, but until he humbles himself and realizes he was never THAT good, it isn't going to happen.

Edited by Y2HH
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DanofDuPage said:

It was fun while it lasted! That would be April & May. Then the fame went to his head and he carved his nick name into it. His focus became the Home Run Derby & his hamburger and not Hitting the baseball. Can’t blame anybody but himself. He was fun but lost focus and his replacements have played pretty well so far. 

Regardless of his issues Yermin has a standing offer to play for the Mexicali Pendejos. Wish him a Hallmark well of course. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Yermin was hitting .224 14 games before 3-0gate.  Go to ANY JOB in the United States... if you can't handle getting called out by your boss, maybe you are the problem. 

It's been years since my boss rooted for my competitors to assault me, and then supported them when they tried to but hey! It happens to all of us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

FWIW, the quote he posted yesterday is a copy paste from some Dominican rap (except replacing the word music with baseball). The song is called El Retiro. They were looking into it on 670 after someone texted in with the info.

Wait...which quote?  Just he "El Retrio" part?  Cuz the diatribe was pretty Yermin/Baseball specific, so tough to see that as song lyrics.  

I also wonder if the Sox bringing in another catcher (Grullon) and playing him over Yermin is what broke the camel's back.  He was told to go down and continue working on catching and get his swing back.  In the meantime, Grandal gets hurt and Zavala gets the call instead (for obvious reason), and the Sox bring in another catcher with MLB experience in Grullon.  Yermin's demons in his head start telling him he'll never make it back...and he snaps.  

Seems about as realistic of a scenario I can think of. 

• Like 3

Just now, manbearpuig said:

It is lyrics from the song. The quote posted last night. But instead of the word “music” it’s replaced with “baseball.”

This quote?

"First of all I want to thank God for giving me life to the fans that without them I was nothing to my family for understanding me and always support Daniel szew for getting me ahead, and by the way ask forgiveness to all those who eh offended fruit of immaturity to the members of the radio, television and press..to all the teams I participated by not tolerating the decisions of them to everyone who has a human being eh failed i apologize and thus I walked from baseball for awhile god bless  you its over?

You're saying that is an except from a song except change the "baseball" to "music"?  It very well could be...just seems like a lot! 

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Someone might want to explain to Yermin that his rights are owned by the White Sox and they don't owe him shit.  Someone should also tell him that a .150/.220/.196 triple slash over 120 PA isn't going to get him slack with any organization, and the Sox gave him a rope longer than most.  Those tweets are seriously cringe worthy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

so yep...his head got too big. I blame the burger joint and the t-shirts. 

Let's calm the hype a bit -- the burger joint was a little local place I grew up near -- it wasn't like McDonald's hopped the Yermin express and named a burger after him like they did for Jordan.

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I can't imagine the Sox would ask for much in return if another team wanted him, so the conclusion is that no other team wants him--yet. He needs to go back to Charlotte, keep catching regularly and mashing the ball for the rest of the season and then maybe he can be part of a trade in the off-season.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

If he wanted to be traded, then let the process play out. Trade deadline is still what.. 8 days away? He should've been more patient and let the FO handle it. 

Lol he's not tradable now.  No one is taking that baggage.  Yermin just punted any trade value he had by acting like a child and quitting when he didn't get his way.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This quote?

"First of all I want to thank God for giving me life to the fans that without them I was nothing to my family for understanding me and always support Daniel szew for getting me ahead, and by the way ask forgiveness to all those who eh offended fruit of immaturity to the members of the radio, television and press..to all the teams I participated by not tolerating the decisions of them to everyone who has a human being eh failed i apologize and thus I walked from baseball for awhile god bless  you its over?

You're saying that is an except from a song except change the "baseball" to "music"?  It very well could be...just seems like a lot! 

Yeah ignore me on this one. I saw another quote (now I have no idea where) but it was from someone who posted the lyrics to the song El Retiro and it was basically identical to his situation, which is why he posted "El Retiro."

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol he's not tradable now.  No one is taking that baggage.  Yermin just punted any trade value he had by acting like a child and quitting when he didn't get his way.  

Agreed. Personally, I think he should have just rode it out until the end of the minor league season and then spoke to the front office in the off-season to see if there was a way a trade could be worked out to literally anywhere for anything. He may have even made it back to the team with rosters expanding by 2 as they normally carry a third catcher (obviously in this case, he would just be an emergency catcher/given the chance to be a pinch-hitter).

Edited by manbearpuig

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's why I said "he should've" before all this...