Yermin retiring? Nope. Wait, maybe yes? Wait, he's active in Charlotte again.

DurhamStance

Wow.  The Sox gave him a long rope and kept betting him high in the order even when he was in that horrible slump.  TLR was his biggest advocate.  He's still on the 40 man! He was making around 100k pro rated down in AAA plus his per diem and shit.  It's not like AAA on the 40 man is that bad of a lifestyle for a 28 year old.  He's just a complete headcase.  I would just release him.  Give him what he wants.  See if any other team wants to bother to add him to their 40 man.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Someone might want to explain to Yermin that his rights are owned by the White Sox and they don't owe him shit.  Someone should also tell him that a .150/.220/.196 triple slash over 120 PA isn't going to get him slack with any organization, and the Sox gave him a rope longer than most.  Those tweets are seriously cringe worthy. 

Hes 28 years old. Idk, I almost always side with the players. If he wanted to be released because they had no place for him here they should have released him. Minor league conditions are complete trash in baseball. If some other team would give him a shot at the big league level so be it. If not, he'd be released and find no new home. Regardless, he's 28 and not getting younger and the sox asking him to be 5th level depth at AAA does him no good. Just my thoughts 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

So why not wait until August 1st to pull this stunt? Killed any value he had. I wouldnt even release him at this point. Keep him on roster hostage if we can find a way to get him off the 40 man.

I just can't agree with this. Why he vindictive. If he has no place or room in your future at all just grant the guy his release. Hes behind like 30 people 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hes 28 years old. Idk, I almost always side with the players. If he wanted to be released because they had no place for him here they should have released him. Minor league conditions are complete trash in baseball. If some other team would give him a shot at the big league level so be it. If not, he'd be released and find no new home. Regardless, he's 28 and not getting younger and the sox asking him to be 5th level depth at AAA does him no good. Just my thoughts 

Yeah, gonna disagree here.  The Sox don't owe Yermin shit.  Some people dislike it, but these dudes are assets owned by an organization.  Yermin 24 hours ago likely had some value, especially with 6 years of control.  I wouldn't give that away if I were the Sox either.

Now?  He has none.  So maybe he gets his way eventually and the Sox release him.  But I can promise you he eliminated most if not all of his potential employers in the process. 

• Like 5

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, gonna disagree here.  The Sox don't owe Yermin shit.  Some people dislike it, but these dudes are assets owned by an organization.  Yermin 24 hours ago likely had some value, especially with 6 years of control.  I wouldn't give that away if I were the Sox either.

Now?  He has none.  So maybe he gets his way eventually and the Sox release him.  But I can promise you he eliminated most if not all of his potential employers in the process. 

No, these guys are actually humans trying to make a living and in any other profession he could seek other opportunities. The anti-trust exemptions in baseball granting them bigger power is a complete joke. 

Baseball has exploited minor leaguers forever and its complete trash. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, these guys are actually humans trying to make a living and in any other profession he could seek other opportunities. The anti-trust exemptions in baseball granting them bigger power is a complete joke. 

Baseball has exploited minor leaguers forever and its complete trash. 

You can dislike it, but its the way the game works.  And if you make it, you get paid quite handsomely for it.  Obviously they're human beings, but their professional rights are owned by an organization (who paid for them).  Yermin had value to the organization (even if just as an insurance policy), and they have no reason to punt it just to be nice. I don't really care to get into a labor discussion about this, and I agree it somewhat unique to personal sports, but you won't find me feeling bad for professional athletes.  This is the career they chose, and again, if you make it --- you get paid better than just about any other career out there and you get to retire early with amazing retirement benefits.  Hard to feel too bad - especially in this instance when Yermin was almost certainly going to come back.  He's just being a giant sized toddler right now. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

You can dislike it, but its the way the game works.  And if you make it, you get paid quite handsomely for it.  Obviously they're human beings, but their professional rights are owned by an organization (who paid for them).  Yermin had value to the organization (even if just as an insurance policy), and they have no reason to punt it just to be nice. I don't really care to get into a labor discussion about this, and I agree it somewhat unique to personal sports, but you won't find me feeling bad for professional athletes.  This is the career they chose, and again, if you make it --- you get paid better than just about any other career out there and you get to retire early with amazing retirement benefits.  Hard to feel too bad - especially in this instance when Yermin was almost certainly going to come back.  He's just being a giant sized toddler right now. 

It wouldn't be fair to the 25 men on the roster to promote Yermin and hurt the team.  Part of being a baseball player is having defensive value.  Zeby can't hit for shit but he is a decent receiver.  Wouldn't be fair to the pitching staff and everybody else to have a guy that can't catch on the roster.

And again, it's not like he's on some A ball team toiling away.  He was in AAA, on the 40 man and as Stone said one phone call in September from being right back in the big leagues.  Quite a few of us, including myself, wondered what all the fuss was about Yermin being a bad team mate.  Well, here it is.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I don't want to turn this into a labor debate but just because that's the "way it is" doesn't mean this organization needs to act that way and doesn't mean they can't show him some respect and grant him the release. 

Just because the system is broken and unfair to minor leaguers "by rule" doesn't mean you have to play by those rules. The sox don't have to pay for their minor leaguers living quarters but they do because its the right thing to do. Other teams do not do that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, that's not how it works, champ. But thanks for your input.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I don't want to turn this into a labor debate but just because that's the "way it is" doesn't mean this organization needs to act that way and doesn't mean they can't show him some respect and grant him the release. 

Just because the system is broken and unfair to minor leaguers "by rule" doesn't mean you have to play by those rules. The sox don't have to pay for their minor leaguers living quarters but they do because its the right thing to do. Other teams do not do that.

But what do they get out of granting him his release? If it weren't for the White Sox nobody would even know his name. They're under no obligation to release him because he's unhappy. As part of his employment to the White Sox, it's his job to improve and adapt, not whine and cry because HE cannot fix what's wrong. It's not like they sent him down and benched him, not giving him the opportunity to work out the issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Do we know that he asked for a release and they wouldn't grant it?

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Yeah, that's not how it works, champ. But thanks for your input.

Yes, I too stan for the exploitation of minor leaguers - many of whom have made less than minimum wage and some of whom are IN the red after having to pay for their own living arrangements - because it's "how it works." Just because one is allowed to act in a demeaning way without repercussions does not mean they should. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ahhh, yes.  The Sox should put themselves at a competitive disadvantage to the other 29 clubs just to pave the way and be nice guys.  Got it.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Y2HH said:

But what do they get out of granting him his release? If it weren't for the White Sox nobody would even know his name. They're under no obligation to release him because he's unhappy. As part of his employment to the White Sox, it's his job to improve and adapt, not whine and cry because HE cannot fix what's wrong. It's not like they sent him down and benched him, not giving him the opportunity to work out the issue.

They get to do something that was the right thing to do for the human being, everything in life and labor doesn't need to be transactional. In fact the transactional progression of society has just led to the labor rights and power decay we've seen over the past decades. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't really see a way of him making the team in September either. We have 26 right now, none of which are particularly easy candidates to be sent down for Jimenez, Lamb, or Robert. Not to mention a hopeful acquisition at 2B.

Burger or someone could be traded, but I'd imagine those extra spots would go to guys like Hamilton, Sheets, or Goodwin since Jimenez/Robert/Lamb will take their ABs

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Releasing a player who has no place going forward is putting them at a competitive disadvantage? Give me a break.

I think his point was, if you apply this "nice guy" rule to Yermin, you're also applying it to anyone and everyone who ever wants a release again...thus the competitive disadvantage.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Releasing a player who has no place going forward is putting them at a competitive disadvantage? Give me a break.

Who said he has no place going forward?  You're legit the only person saying that. This man was our primary DH for 3 months!!! He struggled so bad he got demoted.  But that doesn't mean he has no prayer of ever sniffing the big leagues again, especially if he can actually learn to be below average but passable receiver.   

And yes....just granting players releases because they're unhappy with situations would very much put a club at a competitive disadvantage.  If you can't see that...well then, I guess I should just leave it at that. Rays probably should have just released Wander Franco too. Can't imagine he was too happy being held hostage down in Durham! 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't really see a way of him making the team in September either. We have 26 right now, none of which are particularly easy candidates to be sent down for Jimenez, Lamb, or Robert. Not to mention a hopeful acquisition at 2B.

Burger or someone could be traded, but I'd imagine those extra spots would go to guys like Hamilton, Sheets, or Goodwin since Jimenez/Robert/Lamb will take their ABs

They typically carry a third catcher. I would think the spots would go to a reliever (maybe 2) and Yermin/Zavala.