Yermin retiring? Nope. Wait, maybe yes? Wait, he's active in Charlotte again.

DurhamStance

Just now, Y2HH said:

I think his point was, if you apply this "nice guy" rule to Yermin, you're also applying it to anyone and everyone who ever wants a release again...thus the competitive disadvantage.

No, that's not actually how the world works. One size does not in fact fit all. And teams can release any minor leaguer they want whenever they want - the players have zero protections in the minors. Yet people here are claiming the player should have to play it out. 

I hope all these same posters are up in arms when the teams release minor leaguers mid-season. But they aren't because hypocrisy runs deep in the world of athletic contracts.

Players are supposed to be selfless teammates sacrificing for the greater good while ownership are ruthless and selfish treating players as assets first and only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

From that tweet, it sounds like it but who knows how accurate that is.

If I were him I would take it as a positive that they have plans for him either in a trade or as a late season call up. If they did t have plans for him they would grant the release. I highly doubt they would.mame him stay in the minors and not give him a chance out of spite.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who said he has no place going forward?  You're legit the only person saying that. This man was our primary DH for 3 months!!! He struggled so bad he got demoted.  But that doesn't mean he has no prayer of ever sniffing the big leagues again, especially if he can actually learn to be below average but passable receiver.   

And yes....just granting players releases because they're unhappy with situations would very much put a club at a competitive disadvantage.  If you can't see that...well then, I guess I should just leave it at that. Rays probably should have just released Wander Franco too. Can't imagine he was too happy being held hostage down in Durham! 

Hes behind sheets and burger, and apparently savala as a catcher. Hes behind goodwin and Hamilton. The sox are getting 3 players back pushing sheets and burger and savala down, maybe Hamilton/goodwin. They're likely to make an acquisition or two. Hes literally the 31st-32nd guy on the roster. He's done in Chicago. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hes behind sheets and burger, and apparently savala as a catcher. Hes behind goodwin and Hamilton. The sox are getting 3 players back pushing sheets and burger and savala down, maybe Hamilton/goodwin. They're likely to make an acquisition or two. Hes literally the 31st-32nd guy on the roster. He's done in Chicago. 

I get it.  Its unfortunate for Yermin.  But he's the guy who's production fell of a cliff, and he's the guy that cannot play a position well enough to be anything other than a beer league softball player defensively.  These are things he can improve on, and if so, he has a role on an mlb club.  Maybe that isn't with the Sox, but if he kept raking in AAA instead of throwing a public temper tantrum and quitting, he would have gotten an opportunity somewhere at some point even if he never improved defensively.

I like Yermin. I hope he cools off, has a chance of heart and the Sox grant him another opportunity down in AAA.  But the Sox aren't the bad guys here man.  I know you have strong feelings about labor laws in mlb, and that is fine.  I don't disagree with some of what you're saying - but this is all stuff they agreed to in their contracts, and the upside for them in quite literally financial freedom for life and their children's lives.  Expecting the Sox to just willy nilly grant releases to disgruntled player is asinine.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If they trade Sheets and/or Burger, and a player or 2 gets injured again, Yermin can easily be back in the picture. Additionally, he has at least some trade. Why just throw that away? Should all teams simply dump guys that are blocked in the minors?

Edited by ron883

Just now, ron883 said:

If they trade Sheets and/or Burger, and a player or 2 gets injured again, Yermin can easily be back in the picture. Additionally, he has at least some trade. Why just throw that away? Should all minor league teams simply dump guys that are blocked?

They do it ll the time for guys looking to play in Korea or Japan FWIW. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's always been a drama queen.  Just release him already.  The juice isn't worth the squeeze.  

Rick, is that you?  If you had your druthers, I'm sure you would have released him since he's mired in mediocrity and won't help us compete for multiple championships.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, these guys are actually humans trying to make a living and in any other profession he could seek other opportunities. The anti-trust exemptions in baseball granting them bigger power is a complete joke. 

Baseball has exploited minor leaguers forever and its complete trash. 

No one is forcing him to play baseball.  If Finance wasn’t a financially viable profession for me, I’d simply do something else.  I agree that the minor league conditions suck, but the dude isn’t entitled to a release just because the Sox won’t give him an immediate major league opportunity 

• Like 4

Quite the rollercoaster. 

To get to the top after 10 years and perform relatively well, just to disappear into nothing has to be hard. But pretty, pretty immature to throw a tantrum and demand a trade when you're Yermin Mercedes. It's short sighted not only for his chance this year with the Sox, but overall for his career. I'd guess that NL DH isn't that far off, and if so, he probably has a shot to be a AAAA player for the next 3-4 years. 

He really should be working on his catching and 1b if he wants another shot. Get it's mentally tough, but he's done it for 10 years, needs to grind for another year or two and he'll get additional shots somewhere across the league. 

Not a good look for Yermin. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I don't want to turn this into a labor debate but just because that's the "way it is" doesn't mean this organization needs to act that way and doesn't mean they can't show him some respect and grant him the release. 

Just because the system is broken and unfair to minor leaguers "by rule" doesn't mean you have to play by those rules. The sox don't have to pay for their minor leaguers living quarters but they do because its the right thing to do. Other teams do not do that.

You are actually asking the Sox front office to set the precedent that a player can force his way off the roster through the media?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They get to do something that was the right thing to do for the human being, everything in life and labor doesn't need to be transactional. In fact the transactional progression of society has just led to the labor rights and power decay we've seen over the past decades. 

Is this a Jack Parkman post?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You are actually asking the Sox front office to set the precedent that a player can force his way off the roster through the media?

Teams release players all the time. They have no spot for him and he doesn't wanna be here. Let him go. 

I will almost always be pro player. 99.9999% of the time. MLB at least has guaranteed contracts but the minor leagues do not for many players.

This isn't opening some can of worms like you're proclaiming. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Cool...and if he’s done in Chicago guess what would have happened?  They would traded him or DFAed him.  A guy like Yermin with practically no defensive utility isn’t going to survive long on a crowded 40 man roster if he’s the “31st-32nd” guy.  This would have all taken care of itself, but instead he’s thrown a hissy fit and has almost certainly impacted how other teams value him.  And that sucks for him because he could have gotten a shot elsewhere if he just kept producing and didn’t do this publicity stunt.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Teams release players all the time. They have no spot for him and he doesn't wanna be here. Let him go. 

I will almost always be pro player. 99.9999% of the time. MLB at least has guaranteed contracts but the minor leagues do not for many players.

Don't you think they would release if they didn't have plans for him? They obviously think he has value for either a trade or late season call up.

I wonder if there are trade talks and it's some place he doesn't want to go?

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, it's just a fact. Good read on this is Fulfillment by Alec Mcgillis. 

Look, I applaud your view on labor matters, but baseball is a unique animal and it’s not fair to expect the Sox to play by a different set of rules.  And by the way, minor leaguers do have some protections, achieving minor league free agency after so many years of control and only being able to be optioned three times.  Yes, the minor league living conditions are sickening and those should be changed, but no one in life is entitled to a $500k+ job and the Sox don’t need to release Yermin just because he may see a quicker path elsewhere.  Again, if the Sox have no use for Yermin, the 40 man roster rules would have forced us to remove him from the org one way or the other.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This isn't opening some can of worms like you're proclaiming. 

Thanks for your posts today, you will get the "Won the Day" banner for July 22, 2021.

• Haha 4

We're talking about players in the minors getting released but Yermin is on the 40-man roster. One of only a few people who can be called up without adding someone to that 40 man roster, and someone who has one option year left after this year. I can't think of any instances of such a guy asking for and getting released.

Billy Hamilton was originally signed to a minor league contract and if the rash of injuries hadn't led to his call-up and he was still at AAA in May, he is the kind of player who likely would have been granted a release if he'd asked for it.

Also, it's not like the Sox are denying Yermin some kind of opportunity. If someone wanted him, a trade would have been made.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There is literally nothing worse than spreading some rumor of this magnitude on a message board with zero evidence or facts to support it. 

This type of accusatory nonsense is honestly shameful and has no business being spouted. 

And trusting CPD gossip boys at that. Jaysus.

I gave absolutely no details on the "magnitude" of anything and the good thing about a message board is that you can scroll past these (public) posts and move on.  But after seeing you bash others for ruining the economy and the environment and saying things like "CPD gossip boys" to get your likes up on soxtalk, I was totally surprised to see you were from Oak Park.  Stunning, and Brave!

Edited by Chi Town Sox
  • Fire 3

3 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I gave absolutely no details on the "magnitude" of anything and the good thing about a message board is that you can scroll past these (public) posts and move on.  But after seeing you bash others for ruining the economy and the environment and saying things like "CPD gossip boys" to get your likes up on soxtalk, I was totally surprised to see you were from Oak Park.  Stunning, and Brave!

I think it's called Woke Park now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1