Yermin retiring? Nope. Wait, maybe yes? Wait, he's active in Charlotte again.

DurhamStance

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Don't most minor league players get a bonus for signing?  

Minor league baseball sucks but it is a choice they make to have a shot at greatness.  Is it any different than a struggling artist waiting tables?

Another difference, in addition to what some have pointed out, is that a struggling artist that waits tables is making a living through another endeavor. Minor league baseball players are still playing baseball, and no matter how much MLB owners try to cry poor by funneling profits into other books, they can absolutely afford to at least pay the players a living wage. The Twitter account @MiLBAdvocates has been really active this season and has done a good job of highlighting some of MiLB's issues, to the point where certain organizations have even changed practices in-season as a result of the backlash

• Thanks 1

FWIW, if Yermin was having a really bad mental health time yesterday and hit some sort of breaking point, and the White Sox were able to get in touch with him today and either give an assist or start a process of working through things for him, then the organization should be complimented on getting that done.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Doesn’t Kim Ng from the Marlins like Yermin? I thought someone posted that the other day.

I hope another team trades for Yermin and he gets a chance to reset his career. Hopefully he'll go to a team with a manager that appreciates his talents and has his back. Maybe a manager who won't talk about "spanking" him like he's some kind of a fucking child...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, macsandz said:

All those praising Kopech for his candor and honesty on mental health issues need to view Yermin through the same lens.

This has been brewing for a long time and is more than just "drama" or "immaturity". 

Yermin a good dude. 

This my be true.  Do you know personally? If not you can't say that for sure. Just saying. 

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, if Yermin was having a really bad mental health time yesterday and hit some sort of breaking point, and the White Sox were able to get in touch with him today and either give an assist or start a process of working through things for him, then the organization should be complimented on getting that done.

Doesn't work well for kids who threaten to run away from home either.

30 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I hope another team trades for Yermin and he gets a chance to reset his career. Hopefully he'll go to a team with a manager that appreciates his talents and has his back. Maybe a manager who won't talk about "spanking" him like he's some kind of a fucking child...

TLR gave Yermin a ton of rope this year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He can catch. He hasn't strictly DH'd in the minors. Terrible teams often take chances on helping someones defense. Semien got better, Narvaez got better.

Good luck Yermin a lot of people are wishing that you pursue your dream and stay focused .

He had three passed balls in one game. He's not a kid. 

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, these guys are actually humans trying to make a living and in any other profession he could seek other opportunities. The anti-trust exemptions in baseball granting them bigger power is a complete joke. 

Baseball has exploited minor leaguers forever and its complete trash. 

I completely agree with the general point you are making here about the minors and releasing blocked players, but I'll add the caveat that common-sense compromises are still the best way forward. By that I mean that, in this case, Yermin realized he was blocked sometime in the few weeks leading up to the trade deadline. Consequently, I think it is completely fair for the team to say "we will grant you a release if we can't trade you by the deadline to a team with a clearer path."

No clue if any of that happened here, but I don't think that approach would be unfair at all. 

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And if they are the type of org that would do this, then we'll never hear about it out of respect for the player's privacy. 

4 minutes ago, pcq said:

People getting on Tony for the HR incident are brutal. Stop embarrassing yourselves. 

I swear to God that I was just getting ready to type this as I read your post, lol. 

I was about to write: This may be controversial but if Yermin is apologizing Tony should as well. Tony, whom I LOVE as a manager, made a bad mistake in jumping on the rookie for that stupid unwritten rule violation. Anybody that saw Yermin hit the first 5-6 weeks had to think this guy might actually be a stellar major league hitter. Tony, as old as he is, made an error in ripping the rookie. NOTHING CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT NOW except Tony should apologize, at least to Yermin. At the very least, u don't mess with success and Tony broke up the karma, the mojo with his dumb public position on the HR. if Sox win pennant I say Yermin deserves a ring, too. He was that hot early on.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I get it.  Its unfortunate for Yermin.  But he's the guy who's production fell of a cliff, and he's the guy that cannot play a position well enough to be anything other than a beer league softball player defensively.  These are things he can improve on, and if so, he has a role on an mlb club.  Maybe that isn't with the Sox, but if he kept raking in AAA instead of throwing a public temper tantrum and quitting, he would have gotten an opportunity somewhere at some point even if he never improved defensively.

I like Yermin. I hope he cools off, has a chance of heart and the Sox grant him another opportunity down in AAA.  But the Sox aren't the bad guys here man.  I know you have strong feelings about labor laws in mlb, and that is fine.  I don't disagree with some of what you're saying - but this is all stuff they agreed to in their contracts, and the upside for them in quite literally financial freedom for life and their children's lives.  Expecting the Sox to just willy nilly grant releases to disgruntled player is asinine.  

Nitpicking a bit, but I just want to push back on this  specific argument, because it is common and really unfair.

These guys don't have any negotiating power. They aren't allowed to say "I don't want to be controlled for 6 years" and try to negotiate that away. Their choice is to either sign the contract, or not play at all. And while technically the MLBPA represents them in labor discussions, it has been clear for decades that the MLBPA has no interest in fighting for any sort of major rights or protections for minor league players. So they don't really even have an avenue to collectively bargain a better deal for themselves. 

This isn't the case of a guy negotiating a contract, signing it, and then regretting it because it turned out not to be as advantageous as they hoped. This is someone who has been strong-armed into a terrible contract with no other options other than to quit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FLsoxfan said:

Interesting TLR says he is going to reach out and then Yermin reports... maybe he isn't as evil as some people make him out to be 

I’m not a LaRussa fan and don’t like the way he handled that whole situation, but I do agree with those that believe that it is a stretch to connect that incident to him wanting to walk away. He apparently called him last night (I would assume others did too.

• Like 1

I saw this same shit with Colby Rasmus with few exceptions almost every one of these situations where fans have backed the player have been proven wrong.

Congratulations on Yermin supporters for joining the club. What a headcase! Glad his drama in the minors where it belongs

Edited by wrathofhahn

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm shocked he's not a regular poster around here.  

2 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

Can we be sure that he isn't? 🤔

Has anyone ever seen Yermin and Ron in the room at the same time? 

45 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Nitpicking a bit, but I just want to push back on this  specific argument, because it is common and really unfair.

These guys don't have any negotiating power. They aren't allowed to say "I don't want to be controlled for 6 years" and try to negotiate that away. Their choice is to either sign the contract, or not play at all. And while technically the MLBPA represents them in labor discussions, it has been clear for decades that the MLBPA has no interest in fighting for any sort of major rights or protections for minor league players. So they don't really even have an avenue to collectively bargain a better deal for themselves. 

This isn't the case of a guy negotiating a contract, signing it, and then regretting it because it turned out not to be as advantageous as they hoped. This is someone who has been strong-armed into a terrible contract with no other options other than to quit.

BBBbut the guys at McDonalds have it worse. 

And I'm very happy he's currently not performing well enough to make this team.  Championship teams are tougher to stay on. 

And if he can't handle his manager being upset with him how's he going to handle a WS with 60,000 fans booing him? Retire?