White Sox considering Nelson Cruz

southsider2k5

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man, gonna be tough to just throw Goodwin to the wolves after how good he's been.  Its the right thing to do, but a tad cutthroat.  I guess that is what happens when you win.  

I still don't think Cruz is an option for the Sox, but even without him, there is a real roster crunch coming.

Eloy -----> Burger to AAA

Robert ------> Goodwin DFA

Bullpen trade ------> ReyLo AAA

Escobar or other 2B trade ------> this is where things get interesting.  I guess Mendick to AAA

Yasmani ------> Zavala AAA

I think Sheets hangs around cuz we need lefty sticks, and I don't see the Sox cutting Hamilton.  I'd be surprised if the Jake Lamb makes it back to the Sox, but perhaps they chose Lamb over Sheets when Jake's 20 day rehab stint is up.  

Will be interesting roster machinations regardless. 

I think somehow, someone, most likely Hamilton, ends up on the IL as the calendar turns to September so the Sox can have 14 position players on the playoff roster without having to carry 14 though the entire month of September. If that happens, I think the playoff roster is:

C - Grandal, Collins

IF - Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, Mendick/2B trade

OF/DH - Jimenez, Vaughn, Robert, Engel, Goodwin, Hamilton, Sheets

SP - Lynn, Rodon, Giolito, Cease/Keuchel

RP - Keuchel/Cease, Hendriks, Bummer, Crochet, Marshall, Kopech, Burr/RP trade, Heuer/RP trade

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think somehow, someone, most likely Hamilton, ends up on the IL as the calendar turns to September so the Sox can have 14 position players on the playoff roster without having to carry 14 though the entire month of September. If that happens, I think the playoff roster is:

C - Grandal, Collins

IF - Abreu, Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, Mendick/2B trade

OF/DH - Jimenez, Vaughn, Robert, Engel, Goodwin, Hamilton, Sheets

SP - Lynn, Rodon, Giolito, Cease/Keuchel

RP - Keuchel/Cease, Hendriks, Bummer, Crochet, Marshall, Kopech, Burr/RP trade, Heuer/RP trade

Yeah I mentioned that the other day.  I definitely think Billy is an IL candidate if the roster crunch becomes too much for him to survive.  Every swing he takes hurts...he's clearly not 100%.  

Obviously, the Sox need bullpen help before anything else. Yet, the Cruz thing is not as dumb as it seems. This offense is good, but there are days when it can barely scratch out a hit. Cruz can help.

I understand priorities, and the club has to do other things first. But I wouldn't rule out Cruz.

2 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Obviously, the Sox need bullpen help before anything else. Yet, the Cruz thing is not as dumb as it seems. This offense is good, but there are days when it can barely scratch out a hit. Cruz can help.

I understand priorities, and the club has to do other things first. But I wouldn't rule out Cruz.

The only way this makes sense is if the only thing Minny is looking for is salary relief. 

This way they get an extra bat for free. Try Vaughn in RF. 

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Can Nelson Cruz pitch out of the bullpen and be a set up guy? If not, then no thanks. 

Bullpen and pitching are going to help u win playoff games........we will have enough hitting 

We definitely need to add a bat, but right now 2B is a bigger priority than RF.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We definitely need to add a bat, but right now 2B is a bigger priority than RF.

What is better overall, Cruz at DH, Mendick at 2b, and Vaughn/Engel/Goodwin in RF, or Escobar at 2b, Vaughn/Eloy at DH, and Engel/Goodwin in RF? 

Genuine question, because that bat at DH offsets some weakness of putting someone in at 2b for glove.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What is better overall, Cruz at DH, Mendick at 2b, and Vaughn/Engel/Goodwin in RF, or Escobar at 2b, Vaughn/Eloy at DH, and Engel/Goodwin in RF? 

Genuine question, because that bat at DH offsets some weakness of putting someone in at 2b for glove.

Honestly, I think the latter is better.  Escobar is a massive offensive upgrade over Mendick, you aren’t forced to play Eloy everyday in LF, and generally speaking you have a stronger defensive OF.  And while it’s obviously a bit premature, Cruz doesn’t help much during road games in the World Series.

15 hours ago, reiks12 said:

How has Nelson Cruz avoided being busted for taking steroids? amazing

He was busted in 2013 and served a 50 game suspension. Somehow, someway, not since.

6 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Sheets was called up out of necessity due to injuries, are you suggesting the team is better with Sheets than Cruz?  Saying we have guys who can DH is like saying we are set at 2B because we have Leury Garcia and Danny Mendick

No...I am suggesting that Eloy, Grandal, Abreau, Burger and Sheets make it silly to spend resources on a DH.

5 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I don't disagree it's not a point of need. But there's a few angles on this ...

a) playing defense. Twins are going to trade him because they're not resigning him next year. So Cruz is going to the A's, Rays, etc. I don't know about you, but I don't want to face Cruz in the playoffs. 

b) We've seen it a bit with Burger in a few AB's lately. Throwing low and away seems to be getting to him. We saw it with Yermin. We'll undoubtedly see it with Sheets too. Pitchers at hte MLB level adjust and it's up to the players to readjust. Maybe Burger and Sheets do. Maybe they don't. I overall prefer Cruz and his track record of Sheets, Burger, Hamilton, etc. etc. 

c) when you're a team like the Sox, probably a top 4 favorite to win it all, you get greedy. you have to. you don't necessarily "need" cruz, but i'd be hard pressed to see how adding him doesn't make us a better team. So at that point it becomes a cost benefit analysis. What's the cost to acquire him v. maybe bringing in an Adam Frazier, Story, Marte, etc. and whats the cost if Cruz goes to a direct competitor?

You make several valid points but I would take the money and spend it at second base and bullpen.

42 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No...I am suggesting that Eloy, Grandal, Abreau, Burger and Sheets make it silly to spend resources on a DH.

It isn't about spending resources on a DH.  By bringing Cruz in you actually upgrade two positions.  You get a better DH AND you get a better RF by sliding Andrew Vaughn over there.  You are also not giving up much to get the guy.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't about spending resources on a DH.  By bringing Cruz in you actually upgrade two positions.  You get a better DH AND you get a better RF by sliding Andrew Vaughn over there.  You are also not giving up much to get the guy.

Yeah...and a lousy fielder in left.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But is Cruz's  bat or Engel's glove in the OF going to generate a better return for the Sox?

I think Eloy's bat and Engles/Sheets glove are better than Cruz's bat and Eloy's glove.  I would also like to play Vaughn somewhere along with Burger on occasion.  I like Cruz as a bat but he doesn't fit us well IMO.  Also, Twins are going to get something back from us as well.  Best to spend the money where we actually have need.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I think Eloy's bat and Engles/Sheets glove are better than Cruz's bat and Eloy's glove.  I would also like to play Vaughn somewhere along with Burger on occasion.  I like Cruz as a bat but he doesn't fit us well IMO.  Also, Twins are going to get something back from us as well.  Best to spend the money where we actually have need.

Sheets and Eloy are pretty much sharing the same glove.  They are both awful.  Sheets lack of range might actually make him worse.

As for return, again the Twins are about to lose Cruz for nothing.  It won't take much.

4 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Keep in mind, Nelson is 10 years older now than he was when this occurred. For those who think he can play in the NL.

Preller would just redraw their outfield so all of RF is foul.

• Haha 1