Who might be going to the minors when our injured Stars return?

elrockinMT

4 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Luis Robert and Eloy Jimenez should be returning from their rehab assignments soon. Who do you think gets sent down or DFA?

my guess is Jake Burger and either Billy Hamilton and Goodwin 

Posted this is another thread earlier today, but this what I think.  

Eloy -----> Burger to AAA

Robert ------> Goodwin DFA or Sheets to AAA (tough call here)  

Bullpen trade ------> ReyLo AAA

Escobar or other 2B trade ------>  Mendick to AAA

Yasmani ------> Zavala AAA

I don't see the Sox cutting Hamilton, but he could be an IL candidate to avoid DFAing Goodwin.  I'd be surprised if the Jake Lamb makes it back to the Sox, but perhaps they chose Lamb over Sheets when Jake's 20 day rehab stint is up.  

Will be interesting roster machinations regardless. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Posted this is another thread earlier today, but this what I think.  

Eloy -----> Burger to AAA

Robert ------> Goodwin DFA or Sheets to AAA (tough call here)  

Bullpen trade ------> ReyLo AAA

Escobar or other 2B trade ------>  Mendick to AAA

Yasmani ------> Zavala AAA

I don't see the Sox cutting Hamilton, but he could be an IL candidate to avoid DFAing Goodwin.  I'd be surprised if the Jake Lamb makes it back to the Sox, but perhaps they chose Lamb over Sheets when Jake's 20 day rehab stint is up.  

Will be interesting roster machinations regardless. 

I agree that when it comes down to Goodwin or Hamilton...Hamilton has those useful tools of speed and defense.  

• Like 1

Whether they pick up a starting 2B or reserve infielder before the deadline is the key open hitter decision at this juncture. I believe the “bubble buster” call will come down to Goodwin vs. Lamb, and Tony allowing the rookies to germinate in Charlotte before September call ups.

Assuming all four hitters return as anticipated this season (Madrigal the exception), and no trade acquisition, I believe the Sox will go with a three man plus catcher bench:

Catcher: YG, ZC

Infield: JA, LG, TA, YM, DM

Outfield: AV, LR, AE, BGBH

Designated Hitter: EJ

AAA: [September call ups Sheets (3) & Burger (3)] Zavala (1)

I believe Burr will be optioned (3 remain) if a reliever is acquired, unless the Sox opt to release or trade Ruiz (no options). 

(Options remaining per Fangraphs)

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/white-sox

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It almost has to be one of Jake Lamb or Brian Goodwin getting DFA'd once both Eloy and Luis get back as they need one forty man roster spot.

Also true. Since Lamb isn’t even playing his primary position and bad in the outfield, would anyone even miss him?

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Lamb returns -> Sheets to AAA or Sheets stays and Lamb DFA

Eloy returns -> Burger to AAA

Marshall returns -> Lopez to AAA

2B acquired -> Mendick to AAA

RP acquired -> Ruiz to AAA

Grandal returns -> Zavala to AAA

Robert returns -> Hamilton to IL

I will need to double check, but I’m fairly certain that Ruiz is out of options. I would be surprised to see the Sox choose Lopez over Ruiz. 

• Like 2

The OF is going to present quite a conundrum.   I mean, you can't cut Billy as he's no doubt established himself as one of the leaders and favorite personalities in the clubhouse.  Goodwin is a lefty with a little bit of pop and I think he, too, is having the ride of his life.   I think you've got to release Goodwin if it's between these two but I really hope we don't come to regret letting him go.

These upcoming decisions is where I think TLR's experience is going to really pay off.  I have a very strong feeling he has his finger on the pulse of this clubhouse and knows which personalities possess the intangible "TWTW", guys you just can't cut without throwing a real wrench into the works of the clubhouse spirit and culture.  

Today's episode of Red Line Radio had an interview with Engel.  One of the things he spoke about was how each player is responsible for holding other players accountable, day in and day out.  With that type of culture in place, I think any potential moves will go beyond simple statistics.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

The OF is going to present quite a conundrum.   I mean, you can't cut Billy as he's no doubt established himself as one of the leaders and favorite personalities in the clubhouse.  Goodwin is a lefty with a little bit of pop and I think he, too, is having the ride of his life.   I think you've got to release Goodwin if it's between these two but I really hope we don't come to regret letting him go.

These upcoming decisions is where I think TLR's experience is going to really pay off.  I have a very strong feeling he has his finger on the pulse of this clubhouse and knows which personalities possess the intangible "TWTW", guys you just can't cut without throwing a real wrench into the works of the clubhouse spirit and culture.  

Today's episode of Red Line Radio had an interview with Engel.  One of the things he spoke about was how each player is responsible for holding other players accountable, day in and day out.  With that type of culture in place, I think any potential moves will go beyond simple statistics.

There is zero chance of Goodwin being cut, zero. He has a .802 OPS, is left-handed, and can play all 3 spots.

It's confusing how you'd even think that's an option. Sheets, Burger, and Mendick can all be optioned, so they'd be sent down 1st, with 2 of them back up in September

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

There is zero chance of Goodwin being cut, zero. He has a .802 OPS, is left-handed, and can play all 3 spots.

It's confusing how you'd even think that's an option. Sheets, Burger, and Mendick can all be optioned, so they'd be sent down 1st, with 2 of them back up in September

I sure hope Goodwin sticks around, I could see him being this year's Geoff Blum

• Like 1

If the Sox acquire an everyday RF, which they should and thus shift Engel to the 4th OF role, Hamilton, despite his heroics is the one that should be let go. 

He is sporting a .235/.255/.408 line. with his slugging bound to come down closer to his career sub .300 number. Engel can assume the defense/pinch running duties.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

If the Sox acquire an everyday RF, which they should and thus shift Engel to the 4th OF role, Hamilton, despite his heroics is the one that should be let go. 

He is sporting a .235/.255/.408 line. with his slugging bound to come down closer to his career sub .300 number. Engel can assume the defense/pinch running duties.

I just don't see the everyday RF coming at the deadline. We'd likely have to overpay vs. waiting until the off season. Once Robert comes back, a platoon of Engel/Goodwin will suffice. We need to trade assets for a 2B and 2 RP. If we go into the playoffs without addressing those 2 areas, it will be an early out in October. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I’m not going to be opposed to the White Sox acquiring a RF, but I have yet to see a name presented who is both an upgrade and affordable enough that the Sox could get him while still having enough to trade to fill their much bigger needs at the bullpen and 2b. It doesn’t help this team to acquire Gallo if Cruz hits a 3 run home run in the 8th inning of a playoff game off Ruiz.

If they can’t afford a big upgrade, there are still some benefits to Hamilton in the postseason as a pinch runner and defensive replacement. If the White Sox have a 3 run lead, an OF of Hamilton, Robert, and Engel is gonna be hard to get hits against.

• Like 3

The RF hole is covered with Goodwin, Hamilton and Engle...Robert and Jimenez fill that outfield need and Hahn survived that loss to this point.

The moves will be in the bullpen and C.  My guess it is for guys on the 40 man.  Sheets and Vaughn's outfield ability makes a few 40 man outfielders expendable.

The White Sox front office gets input from the team when looking  at deadline moves and if they have done so this year I think Leury is the 2B for the duration of the season.

I think they address catcher and relief pitching over the coming days.