Who might be going to the minors when our injured Stars return?

elrockinMT

19 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The RF hole is covered with Goodwin, Hamilton and Engle...Robert and Jimenez fill that outfield need and Hahn survived that loss to this point.

The moves will be in the bullpen and C.  My guess it is for guys on the 40 man.  Sheets and Vaughn's outfield ability makes a few 40 man outfielders expendable.

The White Sox front office gets input from the team when looking  at deadline moves and if they have done so this year I think Leury is the 2B for the duration of the season.

I think they address catcher and relief pitching over the coming days. 

I still don’t expect a catcher. Again with limited assets to trade, that would only make sense if Grandal was in way worse shape than currently known.

I think I agree that RF seems like more of an offseason acquisition than a TDL pickup. Catcher as an acquisition seems panicky, unless Grandal's done for the year.

I think I'd send Burger and Sheets to Charlotte for Jimenez and Robert.

I think Mendick would also head to Charlotte in exchange for an acquired 2nd baseman rental.

6 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

There is zero chance of Goodwin being cut, zero. He has a .802 OPS, is left-handed, and can play all 3 spots.

It's confusing how you'd even think that's an option. Sheets, Burger, and Mendick can all be optioned, so they'd be sent down 1st, with 2 of them back up in September

100% agree.  And as much as the fans like Billy Hamilton (myself included), he’s a role player that should primarily be used for late inning defense and pinch running.  Goodwin is the better fill-an in the corners and Engel is the better fill-in in CF.  There is zero chance they DFA him over Hamilton or the young guys for that matter.

It’s blatantly obvious that Burger goes down for Eloy.  Once Robert comes back, either Sheets will be sent down or Hamilton will have a phantom injury.  And when we finally acquire Escobar or another 2B, it will almost certainly be Mendick on the chopping block.

I think the only way that Goodwin or Hamilton is DFAed is if we acquire someone like Starling Marte for RF.  Otherwise, the Sox will try to hold onto to as much depth as possible, with only Jake being a guaranteed sacrificial lamb.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  And as much as the fans like Billy Hamilton (myself included), he’s a role player that should primarily be used for late inning defense and pinch running.  Goodwin is the better fill-an in the corners and Engel is the better fill-in in CF.  There is zero chance they DFA him over Hamilton or the young guys for that matter.

It’s blatantly obvious that Burger goes down for Eloy.  Once Robert comes back, either Sheets will be sent down or Hamilton will have a phantom injury.  And when we finally acquire Escobar or another 2B, it will almost certainly be Mendick on the chopping block.

I think the only way that Goodwin or Hamilton is DFAed is if we acquire someone like Starling Marte for RF.  Otherwise, the Sox will try to hold onto to as much depth as possible, with only Jake being a guaranteed sacrificial lamb.

BOOOO

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The RF hole is covered with Goodwin, Hamilton and Engle...Robert and Jimenez fill that outfield need and Hahn survived that loss to this point.

The moves will be in the bullpen and C.  My guess it is for guys on the 40 man.  Sheets and Vaughn's outfield ability makes a few 40 man outfielders expendable.

The White Sox front office gets input from the team when looking  at deadline moves and if they have done so this year I think Leury is the 2B for the duration of the season.

I think they address catcher and relief pitching over the coming days. 

I’d wager sizable amounts of money they add a 2B.  If the Sox go into October with the RF platoon you mentioned (two guys on hot streaks plus arguably the worst hitter of the last half decade) in addition to Leury at 2B, they don’t deserve to win a World Series.  Adding a 2B will easier, cheaper, & more impactful which is why it’s more likely than a OF addition.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d wager sizable amounts of money they add a 2B.  If the Sox go into October with the RF platoon you mentioned (two guys on hot streaks plus arguably the worst hitter of the last half decade) in addition to Leury at 2B, they don’t deserve to win a World Series.  Adding a 2B will easier, cheaper, & more impactful which is why it’s more likely than a OF addition.

They actually have a lot of options for RF/DH between Engel/Goodwin/Vaughn/Grandal/Sheets/Burger/Yermin.  If Hamilton is on the team. he's a defensive replacement only.  I like the flexibility because it allows TLR to play the match ups in the postseason instead of stubbornly sticking to a set line up against a tough righthander.  I would like to see an 2b upgrade as well, but I think they can win with what they got if their starting pitchers stay hot.

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

They actually have a lot of options for RF/DH between Engel/Goodwin/Vaughn/Grandal/Sheets/Burger/Yermin.  If Hamilton is on the team. he's a defensive replacement only.  I like the flexibility because it allows TLR to play the match ups in the postseason instead of stubbornly sticking to a set line up against a tough righthander.  I would like to see an 2b upgrade as well, but I think they can win with what they got if their starting pitchers stay hot.

Oh no doubt they can win, but adding a 2B shouldn’t be cost prohibitive so there really isn’t an excuse.

10 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

There is zero chance of Goodwin being cut, zero. He has a .802 OPS, is left-handed, and can play all 3 spots.

It's confusing how you'd even think that's an option. Sheets, Burger, and Mendick can all be optioned, so they'd be sent down 1st, with 2 of them back up in September

If no trade is made, that just leaves Leury as the only backup infielder (unless I'm miscounting).  I guess Vaughn could move to 1B or 3B in a pinch but then you're putting Eloy in the OF.

I hope you're right, though.....really want Goodwin to stay on the team.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:50 PM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Lamb returns -> Sheets to AAA or Sheets stays and Lamb DFA

Eloy returns -> Burger to AAA

Marshall returns -> Lopez to AAA

2B acquired -> Mendick to AAA

RP acquired -> Ruiz to AAA

Grandal returns -> Zavala to AAA

Robert returns -> Hamilton to IL

That is fun. I love upgrading just via our own players. 

I personally can see Sheets going down to AAA. Might as well bring back Lamb and let him play for his life. Sheets has options, so makes sense to use them when at at the end of the day there's not a whole ton of difference between their profiles. Sheets can go back to having consistent everyday AB's and working on a few things and stay ready. Lamb comes back and crushes? Then you wait an extra few weeks until September. If not? Cut him. 

Robert returns will be the interesting one, but agree a phantom IL stint should do the trick. (not sure 40 man numbers). But basically if you can pull a phantom IL stint, then you can kick the can down the road for September roster expansion. 

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

thats what my tix say

On 7/23/2021 at 8:02 AM, Buehrle>Wood said:

Lamb>Cut

2nd base addition> Mendick

Jimenez>Burger

Robert>Sheets

Thats ez.

I agree. Lamb serves no purpose with Foodwin around, and if someone gets hurt, Sheets can fill that role.  The only caveat being if Lamb is the first ready to return, Sheets or Burger will probably go down for him, but ultimately he is dfad.

Hamilton seems like an obvious choice but speed and defense will win out. A 9th inning protect the lead OF of Hamilton,  Robert, and Engel probably has a legit shot of being thee best defensive OF of all time.

Edited by Dick Allen