7-23 GT: Sox @ Brewers (7:10pm)

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Andrew Vaughn!  Too bad the game is out of reach...

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Andrew Vaughn!  Too bad the game is out of reach...

Would not have been out of reach if we would have brought in Kopech instead of Bummer and particularly Burr.

• Haha 1

The bullpen needs to be overhauled but I don’t know how they would be able to do it because their only reliable relievers are Kopech, at times Crochet and Hendricks. They need atleast two more relievers. One reliever that can pitch multiple innings in case one of the starting pitchers doesn’t do well and one middle/late inning reliever. They can switch Crochet and Kopech between the 7th and 8th innings but that’s going to burn them out so I have no idea.

Just now, hankchifan said:

Would not have been out of reach if we would have brought in Kopech instead of Bummer and particularly Burr.

Or if Bummer just did his job. It seemed like the hit by Wong irked him mentally and he just completely lost his release point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wow TA is really pissed. I don't think I've ever seen him that pissed. 

I wonder what was said that pissed him off that bad. It couldn’t have just been the calls that set him off.

4 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

This game shows that we have problems beating good teams with good pitching. And that we are lucky we are in the worst division in MLB.  I see Detroit now as the main competition in the division.

I thought we got past this myth last week, WTF? 

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's like people truly think you can go a full 162 with 2 pitchers going out there every night. 

I only asked for Kopech in a close game against an elite team like the Brewers to show we can be competitive against possible playoff opposition.  Don’t pitch him against the weaker teams...

Honestly this game reminds me a lot of the first game against Houston. Close game going into the 7th, Bummer has some bad control, then another reliever comes in and turns it into a blowout. 

• Like 1

Just now, hankchifan said:

I only asked for Kopech in a close game against an elite team like the Brewers to show we can be competitive against possible playoff opposition.  Don’t pitch him against the weaker teams...

Assuming your argument, you don't think it's equally important to see if Bummer can get outs vs an elite team like the Brewers? 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

and Milwaukee then brings in a better reliever than Strickland

Yeah I was hoping we'd get Strickland regardless but they could have brought in Cousins. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Tigers finally lost. Now I don't have to see their fans dreaming that they can somehow catch up on Reddit.

I'll take any day that we don't lose ground in the lead.   Frustrating game tonight but at least Giolito battled and Vaughn looked fantastic.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

and Milwaukee then brings in a better reliever than Strickland

Exactly, Kopech isn't coming into a regular season game that we are trailing when the offense isn't showing any signs of life, and he shouldn't.

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

Kopech is definitely better than Burr.    However……

1) it doesn’t hurt to try and develop a few more reliable arms for the playoffs (specially when you have the biggest lead of any division and 99% chance of being in the playoffs)

and

2). Those wanting Kopech in the game would be the same ones bitching at LaRussa if he got hurt for being overused (remember, he’s had 2 years of not pitching…..he can’t be on the mound every game)

Tonight is just not our night and no team is going to win every game.   Let’s just shake it off and come back tomorrow to get a W

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The bullpen needs to be overhauled but I don’t know how they would be able to do it because their only reliable relievers are Kopech, at times Crochet and Hendricks. They need atleast two more relievers. One reliever that can pitch multiple innings in case one of the starting pitchers doesn’t do well and one middle/late inning reliever. They can switch Crochet and Kopech between the 7th and 8th innings but that’s going to burn them out so I have no idea.

One way is to score more runs to have a bigger margin of error for our relievers, and allow us to bring in some of the least reliable relievers.

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Based on current form, Lopez could be the third best in the bullpen now, behind Kopech and Hendriks.

Madrigal for Bryant, Contreras and Kimbrel (and their contracts). Get' er done Jerry/Rick.

• Haha 2