The Cleveland Guardians

Blackout Friday

Just now, Quin said:

It's a reference to the Guardians of Traffic statues in Cleveland.

Dropped the ball not being the Spiders, but Guardians isn't a bad name.

https://photos.clevescene.com/10-things-you-should-know-about-the-guardians-of-traffic-statues-since-you-might-be-rooting-for-the-guardians-soon/?slide=1&press-bridgestonecutters_544d1a5741

Gotcha, thanks for the info. Spiders would have been my choice also. 

Oof.  Guardians sounds like a fictional baseball team in a movie not about baseball.  Gotham City Guardians.  I mean, there was an XFL team named Guardians and that's sort of a fiction football league not about football.  I would have gone Spiders.

I am not surprised they didn’t change the colors and I don’t think they should have.

I like that it’s city related, and happy Cleveland made the switch.

Great job, hope the Sox beat the guardians.

41 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's a reference to the Guardians of Traffic statues in Cleveland.

Dropped the ball not being the Spiders, but Guardians isn't a bad name.

https://photos.clevescene.com/10-things-you-should-know-about-the-guardians-of-traffic-statues-since-you-might-be-rooting-for-the-guardians-soon/?slide=1&press-bridgestonecutters_544d1a5741

Lmao it's fucking awful I would be so embarrassed.  This reeks of a PR internal discussion of "what is the opposite of offensive?  pick that."

Huge whiff -- they had the chance to have the coolest name in MLB (Spiders) with limitless branding opportunities. This is at best boring, and has the added detriment of echoing the unveiling of the "Guardians" name for space force, which was pretty roundly mocked. Oh well, not my team and I guess I don't have to be jealous that a division rival gets a cool new name.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

I will say, having been through a renaming process in the minors, it’s really, really difficult to get it right. It seems like it shouldn’t be, but there’s always a major constituency somewhere that passionately disagrees with whatever your consensus is. 

I live by the west coast now and here’s an example why.  Horrible name choice.  Typical overweight, midwest,  slow to move decision.  They should of chosen spiders 

Edited by JPR

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I will say, having been through a renaming process in the minors, it’s really, really difficult to get it right. It seems like it shouldn’t be, but there’s always a major constituency somewhere that passionately disagrees with whatever your consensus is. 

I get this, I just think going back to Spiders would have had a pretty positive reception overall.  This is honestly a weird and seemingly penny pinching change

The more I read about the Cleveland identity thing with the wings on the G logo and everything tying into the statutes that are a staple in the city, the more I can come around on it. 

I think it's dumb and sounds like a soccer team. But Cleveland people seem to really like it and have that civic pride as it fits with their identity, and that's all that really matters. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I get this, I just think going back to Spiders would have had a pretty positive reception overall.  This is honestly a weird and seemingly penny pinching change

I don’t think it was cheap or lazy I just think they tried way to hard to not rock the boat by going with a similar sounding name and not changing the look