The Cleveland Guardians

Blackout Friday

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao it's fucking awful I would be so embarrassed.  This reeks of a PR internal discussion of "what is the opposite of offensive?  pick that."

I'm considering that our team is named after an article of clothing and we only like it now because it's over a century old. Lots of sports names suck and only become good over time. Examples of teams that would be eviscerated if named today:

- Either Sox
- Dodgers
- Knicks
- Rays ("sunshine" version)
- Reds
- Browns, but Orange
- Lakers
- Jazz of Utah Variety (to be fair, they are mocked for this)
- Cubs
- Phillies

These are the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

I don’t think it was cheap or lazy I just think they tried way to hard to not rock the boat by going with a similar sounding name and not changing the look

Sounds midwest to me aka fly over country nothing to see here

people hate every team name. I like that it's based off of a local thing that's special to cleveland. The pelicans was a great name and people ahted it (who is scared of a pelican lawler) but the worst names are when teams decided their mascots needed to represent something fierce. 

90s graphic design imo was really fun and great but the mascot legacy is terrible. What! You can't name your team the cubs after baby bears, you need to name them after the uh...grizzly bears because they maul and are strong just like our team!

And I'll just say I actually like it and while you guys will go apeshit over the main logo, when people choose this stuff they also look at a lot of extensibility across mediums, and I kinda really like some of the smaller logos which blend some fun styles. 

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm considering that our team is named after an article of clothing and we only like it now because it's over a century old. Lots of sports names suck and only become good over time. Examples of teams that would be eviscerated if named today:

- Either Sox
- Dodgers
- Knicks
- Rays ("sunshine" version)
- Reds
- Browns, but Orange
- Lakers
- Jazz of Utah Variety (to be fair, they are mocked for this)
- Cubs
- Phillies

These are the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

Dodgers is the ultimate dodge ball name, that one is cool.  So is reds, rays (I live in Arizona and understand how strong the sun really gets closer to the equator), Cubs, and Phillies cuz of the city name 

Edited by JPR

1 minute ago, bmags said:

people hate every team name. I like that it's based off of a local thing that's special to cleveland. The pelicans was a great name and people ahted it (who is scared of a pelican lawler) but the worst names are when teams decided their mascots needed to represent something fierce. 

90s graphic design imo was really fun and great but the mascot legacy is terrible. What! You can't name your team the cubs after baby bears, you need to name them after the uh...grizzly bears because they maul and are strong just like our team!

And I'll just say I actually like it and while you guys will go apeshit over the main logo, when people choose this stuff they also look at a lot of extensibility across mediums, and I kinda really like some of the smaller logos which blend some fun styles. 

Bmags used to live in Cleveland 

2 minutes ago, JPR said:

Bmags used to live in Cleveland 

no, but people in chicago gleefully cheering another midwestern towns decline is not very self aware. People from cleveland are great, and it's better than detroit to visit. People from detroit are also nice.

• Fire 1

Why did sports collectively agree that animals (particularly birds and big cats) are the go-to team name and mascot? Because they're boring and non-offensive.

Kudos to Cleveland for trying something with their identity. You're always going to get those people that are upset when something goes against the grain, even if it plays to the local identity and the area supporting the team likes it.

Hell, look at the mixed reviews and backlash Kannapolis got on their rebrand to the Cannonballers. Local connection but still has broad appeal and a fun mascot.

It's always going to happen that way, and then we'll all get used to it.

all new team names always sound silly, this one is no different. That said, i think in 5 years it will still sound silly. 

Have a feeling some of this decision was driven by the "IANS" at the end of both Guardians and Indians ... that they kind of sound the same. Which, if part of the reason seems shortsighted. But what do i know? 

I too wouldve gone with Spiders ... or really anything else. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

no, but people in chicago gleefully cheering another midwestern towns decline is not very self aware. People from cleveland are great, and it's better than detroit to visit. People from detroit are also nice.

Jeez man I love Cleveland. I just don’t like the name

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JPR said:

I live by the west coast now and here’s an example why.  Horrible name choice.  Typical overweight, midwest,  slow to move decision.  They should of chosen spiders 

You moved to the west coast because of what midwest teams used for sports franchise nicknames?  Uh, what?

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

Jeez man I love Cleveland. I just don’t like the name

I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the "fits flyover country" comment. It's okay to hate the logo/name obviously.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

You moved to the west coast because of what midwest teams used for sports franchise nicknames?  Uh, what?

also nothing says streamlined, fast decisionmaking like california

15 minutes ago, JPR said:

Dodgers is the ultimate dodge ball name, that one is cool.  So is reds, rays (I live in Arizona and understand how strong the sun really gets closer to the equator), Cubs, and Phillies cuz of the city name 

Dodgers is because people in Brooklyn used to dodge trolleys. 

Their name history:

• Hartfords (they moved from Hartford)
  • Bridegrooms / Grooms (several players got married in one season)
  • Superbas (named after a circus act)
  • Trolley Dodgers, eventually shortened to Dodgers.

Reds are named ... for a color. If they picked that name today they be ripped, since it doesn't have big ties to Cincinnati or anything.

Rays was a PR move to drop Devil. It's dumb.

Cubs was because after their team leader left, they became the Remnants and worst-name-of-all-time, Orphans. They decided a baby animal would be better, so they became Cubs.

Philadelphia Phillies would be like having the New York New Yorkers.

I’m in town visiting.  Couldn’t believe all the cows on tinder and bumble.  Yes west coast for sure has way more banging chicks I’m ten minutes from ASU and California girls are flooding our state driving up home prices.  My home has gained $30,000 in value since March 8th according to Zillow.  I used to not tell Chicago people how better the west is, even Utah or Idaho.  You guys need to abandon ship and live a real life.  3 months of summer isn’t living life to the fullest.  And guardians… Lol mine as well be the street sweepers with a wack name like that