The Cleveland Guardians

Blackout Friday

32 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah, the Staten Island Yankees were able to get away with Pizza Rats rebrand - everyone loved it and you can still get that gear. (except reportedly the Yankees, and that reportedly might be part of why they got dumped). Caulfield mentioned the Rocket City Trash Pandas. I'm debating getting a blue "Ballers" jersey because it looks super clean. My brother owns an "Iron Pugs" shirt because that was a great promo.

No one cares about the Winston-Salem Dash or Fresno Grizzlies (but everyone loves the Fresno Tacos).

So, not at all to argue, but just since I have firsthand knowledge — interestingly enough, it’s not true at all that everyone liked the Pizza Rats rebrand, haha. It IS true that the national audience loved it and that the gear was very popular and sold well everywhere. 

But locally, there was extremely passionate pushback from politicians, sponsors, and about half of the season ticket holders. The community felt like they were being represented as a meme joke. The borough president published an open letter in the newspaper begging for a different name when it “leaked” as the likely favorite. 

And yes, the Yankees hated it so much that they actually “didn’t approve” the change, which they could do as part of the affiliate agreement. Which is why the team never actually changed the name officially, it just made it into a weekend promotion, where they would don the gear every Friday and Saturday. The Yankees, of course, couldn’t be bothered to return any calls about their opinion of the name during the actual selection and design process, but that didn’t stop them from throwing ultimatums around after the money was already sunk. 

Staten Island reaped the benefits of the merch push and PR, but they paid a heavy price in loss of community support , actual loss of season ticket accounts, and a substantial strain to the Yankees relationship. It’s been suggested that it was the final straw when it came to the Yankees throwing them under the bus during the great MLB takeover/realignment, ultimately leading to the dissolution of the franchise, but I think that’s going too far. The real issue was ongoing and impossible facility issues given the state of the public lease and lack of city support. 

So anyway, it all just serves as an example of the risks associated with boldness with regard to rebrands, and the inevitability of never being able to please everyone. 

I didn't know about those bridge statues, so I don't hate it as much as when I first heard about the new name.  Honestly, I was prepared to hate it, whatever it was going to be.  It'll take some getting used to, for sure.  I wonder how long the broadcasters will struggle with it,

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

So, not at all to argue, but just since I have firsthand knowledge — interestingly enough, it’s not true at all that everyone liked the Pizza Rats rebrand, haha. It IS true that the national audience loved it and that the gear was very popular and sold well everywhere. 

But locally, there was extremely passionate pushback from politicians, sponsors, and about half of the season ticket holders. The community felt like they were being represented as a meme joke. The borough president published an open letter in the newspaper begging for a different name when it “leaked” as the likely favorite. 

And yes, the Yankees hated it so much that they actually “didn’t approve” the change, which they could do as part of the affiliate agreement. Which is why the team never actually changed the name officially, it just made it into a weekend promotion, where they would don the gear every Friday and Saturday. The Yankees, of course, couldn’t be bothered to return any calls about their opinion of the name during the actual selection and design process, but that didn’t stop them from throwing ultimatums around after the money was already sunk. 

Staten Island reaped the benefits of the merch push and PR, but they paid a heavy price in loss of community support , actual loss of season ticket accounts, and a substantial strain to the Yankees relationship. It’s been suggested that it was the final straw when it came to the Yankees throwing them under the bus during the great MLB takeover/realignment, ultimately leading to the dissolution of the franchise, but I think that’s going too far. The real issue was ongoing and impossible facility issues given the state of the public lease and lack of city support. 

So anyway, it all just serves as an example of the risks associated with boldness with regard to rebrands, and the inevitability of never being able to please everyone. 

I really should have clarified - when I meant everyone, I meant nationally and amongst people who weren't already SI Yankees stakeholders. I had a bunch of friends around (granted, I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan) that loved it and some bought merch. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Yeah, the Staten Island Yankees were able to get away with Pizza Rats rebrand - everyone loved it and you can still get that gear. (except reportedly the Yankees, and that reportedly might be part of why they got dumped). Caulfield mentioned the Rocket City Trash Pandas. I'm debating getting a blue "Ballers" jersey because it looks super clean. My brother owns an "Iron Pugs" shirt because that was a great promo.

No one cares about the Winston-Salem Dash or Fresno Grizzlies (but everyone loves the Fresno Tacos).

Lansing Lugnuts or Vegas 51's were my favorites

5 hours ago, Quin said:

It's a reference to the Guardians of Traffic statues in Cleveland.

Dropped the ball not being the Spiders, but Guardians isn't a bad name.

https://photos.clevescene.com/10-things-you-should-know-about-the-guardians-of-traffic-statues-since-you-might-be-rooting-for-the-guardians-soon/?slide=1&press-bridgestonecutters_544d1a5741

Spiders should have definitely been the name.

every time michael baumann throws a tantrum about how organizations should be trying to win by signing some vet free agent that vet goes on to have an atrocious year worse than a AAAA call-up.

Like when reporters like him were crying over adam jones when it was clear he'd be terrible.

5 hours ago, JPR said:

I’m in town visiting.  Couldn’t believe all the cows on tinder and bumble.  Yes west coast for sure has way more banging chicks I’m ten minutes from ASU and California girls are flooding our state driving up home prices.  My home has gained $30,000 in value since March 8th according to Zillow.  I used to not tell Chicago people how better the west is, even Utah or Idaho.  You guys need to abandon ship and live a real life.  3 months of summer isn’t living life to the fullest.  And guardians… Lol mine as well be the street sweepers with a wack name like that 

This is a cool story.  Please tell us more.  No wait, I lied.  Don't.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 2

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Apparently The Guardians was merely the second worst thing that happened to the Cleveland Baseball Team on July 23rd. 

Still Cleveland.

Man, obviously far more important issues to unpack here but…somebody should tell that “fan” the division race is over.  Imagine spending all that crazy on the f’ing 2021 Cleveland Indians.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, Eminor3rd said:

Unrelated to Guardians, but related to this post. The public is 100% going to vote for Pizza Rats again:

https://www.silive.com/sports/2021/07/ownership-of-new-minor-league-baseball-franchise-wants-staten-islanders-help-choosing-team-name.html

33 minutes ago, Quin said:

Unrelated to Guardians, but related to this post. The public is 100% going to vote for Pizza Rats again:

https://www.silive.com/sports/2021/07/ownership-of-new-minor-league-baseball-franchise-wants-staten-islanders-help-choosing-team-name.html

Haha, well they actually didn't the first time, but I definitely hope they do this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...