7/24- Chicago @ Milwaukee, 6:10

BigHurt3515

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I was thinking about this earlier today. The Nats won in 2019 with the 29th best bullpen ERA in baseball, Hudson in the 9th was the only decent reliever they had.

In playoff baseball, Crochet can give 2+ innings but you can’t use him in the 9th or extras, or bring him in if anyone is on base. Hendricks is nails. If they stretch him out, Kopech is nails for 2+. Presumably Cease also is going to the pen since LaRussa is the manager and he’s a vet. With the extra off days, you could legit pitch Kopech 3 times in any series, with 2 days off between. Bummer is struggling, but if you use him sparingly maybe you could get through a couple lefties. Without any help, if the starters did their jobs, you could survive a playoff series like this. Add 1 quality reliever to this, and there are a lot of options. If Lopez just can do what he did tonight…there’s a championship bullpen here with 1 addition.

On paper.  But that’s probably more the exception (bad bullpens and defense/fundamentals prevailing) if you went through the last decade of WS teams (2014-15 Royals say hello, A.Miller, etc.)

What we lack is those truly defined roles like we had in 2005 with Cotts, Politte and Jenks.  Talent/potential has to start translating into performance at some point.

Everyone in front of Hendriks is constantly in a state of flux.

43 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

On paper.  But that’s probably more the exception (bad bullpens and defense/fundamentals prevailing) if you went through the last decade of WS teams (2014-15 Royals say hello, A.Miller, etc.)

What we lack is those truly defined roles like we had in 2005 with Cotts, Politte and Jenks.  Talent/potential has to start translating into performance at some point.

Everyone in front of Hendriks is constantly in a state of flux.

If our manager was (mother F***er I have to say this) Terry Francona, I would say I had confidence that the coaching staff has enough to put this together as a solid playoff bullpen, especially with 1 or 2 additions. You just have to know how to use a modern playoff bullpen. Can LaRussa? Mumbles…

43 minutes ago, kgrittenburg said:

Sox will be lucky to win 1 playoff series come October

“The White Sox got To the ALCS and it was a tough fight they lost in game 7. This team, more experienced, will not be going away any time soon.”

One year later…

FF6DE1D3-69E4-4378-AD20-CBBB5FD527E6.gif

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Facts. This is why they need to STHU about being 9 games up and win games for HFA. 

I've been talking about home field advantage and not being able to beat good teams for weeks and probably was one of the 1st here to say the Sox needed 2 relievers when all I kept seeing was 1 reliever and still do and somehow all I hear is appreciate the team is in 1st place and that I'm unhappy and shouldn't want the Sox to go all in. Also the need for more power but I still see people clamoring for Frazier because a good contact hitter is needed somehow for 2 years.

I know I'm offending a lot of people telling them their ideas suck but yea if I have to worry about 3 hitters combining a walk and 2 singles and a 4th hitter not hitting into a DP then yea I'll take 1 swing of the bat for multiple runs or a single run any time.

Look at today. Leury made contact . A blooper , a dribbler ,a bad throw by the Brewers and it should've been 2 runs scored. Instead of the ball rolling away it hits the ump and our runner misses home plate.

Id rather have this cold spell before July 30 than after. At least there is some level of urgency to get another bullpen piece and maybe even a second baseman. Well see what

Against MIN, DET, KC, BAL, TEX, and PIT the Sox are 38-12 with a +127 run differential. That leaves them at 20-28 against teams that arent terrible this year. The Angels are the only sub 500 team i included in that group because they had a healthy Trout at the time. If you're going with record over .500 teams they are 19-25.

This is how AL contenders rank against over 500 teams:

1. Astros      39-22  61GP
2.Red Sox    34-24  58 GP
3. Rays         34-26  60 GP
4. Mariners 26-26  52 GP
5. Yankees   31-32  63 GP
6. TIgers       26-30  56 GP
7 Blue Jays    26-34  60 GP
8. White Sox 19-25 44 GP
9 Oakland     21-29 50 GP
10 LAA          26-41   67 GP

It's not the Sox fault that only one other team in the division is .500 or better. Also, not every team takes advantage of freebies. The Astros are 21-17 against under 500 teams and that can be huge when it comes to HFA. That said, if the Indians lose tomorrow, the Sox will have 33 games against 500 or better teams. To think that this team is a finished product is a bit optimistic at this time.

• Like 1

Sox getting boatraced by Milwaukee. Oh well.

As far as the angst about the postseason. It's pretty obvious Sox will be a totally different team/lineup with Robert/Eloy. Team will pick up a reliever by the trade deadline (remember greg guarantees this!) and will probably lose either Burger or Madrigal or Vaughn in the process; my guess unfortunately it will be Vaughn). This team with the new reliever, Robert/Eloy just might reach the WS. It truly might. (Assuming the starting pitching stays pretty good to excellent). Comments?

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If our manager was (mother F***er I have to say this) Terry Francona, I would say I had confidence that the coaching staff has enough to put this together as a solid playoff bullpen, especially with 1 or 2 additions. You just have to know how to use a modern playoff bullpen. Can LaRussa? Mumbles…

This bullpen needs a better than solid piece. It needs a stud to go with the Sox's stout closer Hendriks. Without it, Sox are not gonna reach the WS. It's part of the improvements I feel will be needed to make a run to the WS.

Edited by greg775

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

As far as the angst about the postseason. It's pretty obvious Sox will be a totally different team/lineup with Robert/Eloy. Team will pick up a reliever by the trade deadline (remember greg guarantees this!) and will probably lose either Burger or Madrigal or Vaughn in the process; my guess unfortunately it will be Vaughn). This team with the new reliever, Robert/Eloy just might reach the WS. It truly might. (Assuming the starting pitching stays pretty good to excellent). Comments?

I will take it right to the bank.

The rules can be interpreted liberally i guess, but that did not look like every other appealed ruling I have seen. Anyway,   It looked like that was an unusual and untimely appeal.  So the pitching coach goes out to the mound , talks to the pitcher, the pitcher then gets ready to throw a pitch and the catcher goes, hold on a minute...

In contrast to knowing the rules versus not knowing them, this was more about knowing how to abuse the rules. Tony is a HOF Manager who has a law degree and decades of experience. I think he knows about how this game should be played and how the rules should be interpreted fairly.

Edited by tray

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

The Sox would be insane to trade Vaughn, insane. I would be bet anyone that Vaughn is going to become, AT LEAST, a .290 guy with 25 home runs a year for the next 15 years or so years. It's especially insane to trade him ffor someone as violable as a reliever who can be great for one or two years and then become terrible, cough  . . . . cough  . . . . Bummer.  

• Like 2

Andrew Vaughn is the fourth most valuable White Sox player based on contract, future years of control, and expected performance per baseball trade values.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/467/

• Yoan Moncada $100.3M
  • Lucas Giolito $77.1M
  • Eloy Jimenez $72.8M
  • Andrew Vaughn $63.6M

There are few players in MLB more valuable than Andrew Vaughn, based on what he is expected to do, and what the White Sox are obligated to pay him, at least under the current CBA rules.

A fair trade with the Cubs for Andrew Vaughn ($63.6M) would be Wilson Contreras ($34.3M), Kris Bryant ($13.9M),  Javier Baez ($8.7M) and Craig Kimbrel ($6.3M), and cash.

Andrew Vaughn is not going anywhere, unless he misses a take sign while a position player is pitching.