Collins Catching Complaints

caulfield12

This is like shining a bat light for Batman for me. This guy is the one if not the worst defensive catcher in the league and the unfortunate thing is his pitch framing is worse. There's no coincidence when he pitches the missed pitches are in 70 percent of his games. His DRS is what -12? His defensive war is negative 6 as of a week ago. Be one thing if he was just DHing. But for some reason the front office thought he would be suitable as a backup knowing full well that Grandal is a shoe in to go on the DL at some point during the season. 

He drives me crazy behind the plate but he is what he is. He could be a platoon lefty at DH but we've already got about 5 DH's on the roster. He was barely serviceable in college or the minors. The Sox keep running him out there to justify the huge reach drafting him in the 1st round. It's too late now to change that, but in the off season he needs to get bundled with other assets and move on. Nice kid, tries hard, isn't an MLB catcher. Sorry. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

He drives me crazy behind the plate but he is what he is. He could be a platoon lefty at DH but we've already got about 5 DH's on the roster. He was barely serviceable in college or the minors. The Sox keep running him out there to justify the huge reach drafting him in the 1st round. It's too late now to change that, but in the off season he needs to get bundled with other assets and move on. Nice kid, tries hard, isn't an MLB catcher. Sorry. 

I looked back at that draft and the Dodgers killed it. They got Gavin Lux at 20, Will Smith at 32, Dustin May at 101, and Tony Gonsolin at 281. They have combined for 13 WAR already.

The Sox going Collins at 10, Burdi at 26, with the only other big leaguers being Lambert, Foster, and Ian Hamilton is rough in that context. Going -1.3 war on a draft with two first rounders pretty rough. Certainly helps that other than the Fulmer and Hawkins misses, the rest of the first rounders in the past 10 years range from stars to contributors on the present team.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

It's because of this organization I've loathed the DH.  NL baseball is a much better game to watch. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

I looked back at that draft and the Dodgers killed it. They got Gavin Lux at 20, Will Smith at 32, Dustin May at 101, and Tony Gonsolin at 281. They have combined for 13 WAR already.

The Sox going Collins at 10, Burdi at 26, with the only other big leaguers being Lambert, Foster, and Ian Hamilton is rough in that context. Going -1.3 war on a draft with two first rounders pretty rough. Certainly helps that other than the Fulmer and Hawkins misses, the rest of the first rounders in the past 10 years range from stars to contributors on the present team.

2015 - 2017, bad drafting stretch in the first round. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

as in this week?

Not sure how the Sox could trade Collins right now. He’s been pretty bad but until Yaz is back and can prove he can catch 5x a week, trading Collins would be an interesting move. 

Zack Collins for Jonah Heim ( Switch hitter good framing stats)  of the Rangers. Worse hitting and OBP . 70 OPS+ to Collins 98.

Jose Trevino another good framer ( this year) on the Rangers was just activated and they DFA'd John Hicks who was hitting well in a SSS but must be a terrible catcher . Last time I could find framing stats on Hicks it was 28 (2019)while Collins is at a 0. Higher is better but 28 isn't great either.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

18 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Backup C is a big offseason priority, right?

It wasn't last season.  I still think they should have kept McCann because he did well on this team.  But you eventually had to see what you have in Collins.  Maybe he will get better.

9 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

It wasn't last season.  I still think they should have kept McCann because he did well on this team.  But you eventually had to see what you have in Collins.  Maybe he will get better.

You can’t pay McCann $40m to be the backup. It was never a realistic option.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They could have resigned McCann for less than $40M and he wouldn't have been a backup.  It would have been a time share which everyone can clearly see is needed with Grandal.  

And then our bullpen is even worse with no Hendriks. 

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They could have resigned McCann for less than $40M and he wouldn't have been a backup.  It would have been a time share which everyone can clearly see is needed with Grandal.  

Yah, that Grandal guy really sucks!  I know I sure wish we could sit our elite offensive catcher (wRC+ 135 in 2021) and play McCann and his wRC+ of 97 more!

Grandal is one of the best 2-3 catchers in the game.  It sucks ball he got hurt, but this team doesn't need James McCann.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, that Grandal guy really sucks!  I know I sure wish we could sit our elite offensive catcher (wRC+ 135 in 2021) and play McCann and his wRC+ of 97 more!

Grandal is one of the best 2-3 catchers in the game.  It sucks ball he got hurt, but this team doesn't need James McCann.  

I'm not pining for McCann, but Grandal has been a huge disappointment.  Maybe I'm too old and stuck in the mud, but a .188 average with 17 total XBH on the season and brutal defense doesn't equate to some made up stat that says he's elite.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, champagne030 said:

I'm not pining for McCann, but Grandal has been a huge disappointment.  Maybe I'm too old and stuck in the mud, but a .188 average with 17 total XBH on the season and brutal defense doesn't equate to some made up stat that says he's elite.

Judging by that last statement then yes yes you are