Collins Catching Complaints

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

I'm not pining for McCann, but Grandal has been a huge disappointment.  Maybe I'm too old and stuck in the mud, but a .188 average with 17 total XBH on the season and brutal defense doesn't equate to some made up stat that says he's elite.

Do you remember how much Grandal was carrying the team before he got hurt?

Also, batting average and extra base hits are made up stats as well. Somebody just made them up long before somebody made up wRC+. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

I'm not pining for McCann, but Grandal has been a huge disappointment.  Maybe I'm too old and stuck in the mud, but a .188 average with 17 total XBH on the season and brutal defense doesn't equate to some made up stat that says he's elite.

Grandal is really really good. Batting average is mostly irrelevant when your OBP is .390. 

I would agree his defense has been underwhelming but it’s far far better than brutal. 

Edited by ChiSox59

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Do you remember how much Grandal was carrying the team before he got hurt?

Also, batting average and extra base hits are made up stats as well. Somebody just made them up long before somebody made up wRC+. 

tumblr_pcp40oVgIs1sc0ffqo1_540.gifv 

11 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

I've never understood why people think an NL player is immediately going to adjust to AL pitching.  Before he got hurt he was doing quite well at the plate. He still hasn't faced a lot of AL pitchers yet.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:27 PM, caulfield12 said:

Might as well star another venting thread.

I suppose the one positive byproduct of his recent extended playing time…and watching Zavala attempt to hit at the big league level…is increased appreciation for Grandal.

At least Zavala doesn't disappoint at the plate.  He hits under .200 in the majors and AAA. No lightning in the bottle there.

4 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

Nah, 17 XBH in half a season with brutal defense is fucking pathetic no matter how how old or naive you are.

Curious because I think I know the answer but where are you getting brutal defense from? 

5 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

Nah, 17 XBH in half a season with brutal defense is fucking pathetic no matter how how old or naive you are.

Ahhhh, so now everyone is naïve except for the guy that only looks at archaic statistics that fit his narrative.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ahhhh, so now everyone is naïve except for the guy that only looks at archaic statistics that fit his narrative.  

No, I said old or naive.  One could be old and out of touch or one could be naive was my intention.  And there's nothing "archaic" about stating that 17 XBH in 250 AB's is abysmal.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

No, I said old or naive.  One could be old and out of touch or one could be naive was my intention.  And there's nothing "archaic" about stating that 17 XBH in 250 AB's is abysmal.

He doesn’t have 250 at bats. He has only 181.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, raBBit said:

I feel like the Sox finally trade Collins to Milwaukee/Oakland/Tampa. 

its going to be funny seeing him hit 10/12 bombs a year as a backup catcher there but those are great fits with those teams.

Throw Seattle in the mix

18 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

The Sox have to look at improving their bench/depth pieces this offseason. 

The problem is this organization is good at developing guys that can only ply DH/1B.

Depth is hard to obtain.  Any decent player would go to a team to start. 

On 7/27/2021 at 1:25 PM, kitekrazy said:

The problem is this organization is good at developing guys that can only ply DH/1B.

Depth is hard to obtain.  Any decent player would go to a team to start. 

How do the Dodgers do it, then? Or the Padres?

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

How do the Dodgers do it, then? Or the Padres?

They scout versatile players like Muncy, Taylor and Kike that are miscast or undervalued/utilized in other organizations...or Turner, from the Mets, another example.

The Padres do it through leveraging their minor league depth, as well as drafting up the middle players (SS/2B/CF) who have enough pop to play on the corners.  Or they give big bucks to Machado.  Despite the presence of Tatis, they drafted Abrams, added Cronenworth (TB), traded 2B/SS Urias for CF Grisham (another centerpiece), added Profar/Kim....then drafted yet another SS 27th and finally traded for Frazier, who can play 2B/LF/RF/1B and probably 3B.

The Sox seem to not trust Collins either when you see how often zavala plays. 

I know Collins hasn't hit very good either but due to his high walk rate it still is about league average hitting (97 wrc+) while seby is basically an automatic out but still has been catching quite a bit the last week.