Collins Catching Complaints

caulfield12

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Tampa Bay already has Zunino and Mejia, they wouldn't want Collins.

It was just a general statement as the Rays (among the others listed) are a team that finds value in imperfect players like Collins. 

• 3 weeks later...

For the Playoffs, do you think TLR will go with Grandal, Zavala and Collins or try going with Mercedes as the third C over Collins?

Obviously, the benefit to Collins was he was supposed to be a good bat but that has never transpired. Now compared to Mercedes, he’s a better defender but still poor at defense. And he’s a lefty to Zavala’s righty. 

Mercedes on the other hand carried this team offensively for a month. And now is hitting 0.292 with 10 home runs in AAA with a 0.898 OPS. I understand the risk with not having a viable third defensive catcher, but it seems like Mercedes could be a key DH or pinch hitter. 

Thoughts?

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia

13 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

For the Playoffs, do you think TLR will go with Grandal, Zavala and Collins or try going with Mercedes as the third C over Collins?

Obviously, the benefit to Collins was he was supposed to be a good bat but that has never transpired. Now compared to Mercedes, he’s a better defender but still poor at defense. And he’s a lefty to Zavala’s righty. 

Mercedes on the other hand carried this team offensively for a month. And now is hitting 0.292 with 10 home runs in AAA with a 0.898 OPS. I understand the risk with not having a viable third defensive catcher, but it seems like Mercedes could be a key DH or pinch hitter. 

Thoughts?

I doubt we see Yermin in a White Sox uniform again. 

14 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Thoughts?

It would have made sense at one point (still does from a tactical standpoint) but after the fake retirement we won't hear of Mercedes again I would think. 

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

13 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Thoughts?

If Yermin hits in September and can play a competent catcher, he'll be in over Collins.

I saw what I am fairly sure is his dad or close relatives burner account popping up yesterday and that's one of the things that kind of sucks about Twitter and athletes.  I can totally understand a relative(esp a father) wanting to defend a family member when they are getting ripped on Twitter.  And it rarely ends well for the burner 

13 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It would have made sense at one point (still does from a tactical standpoint) but after the fake retirement we won't hear of Mercedes again I would think. 

Just looked at his numbers and it looks like he’s hit well. I think you’re right that he won’t ever appear in another game with the Sox but I can see him being moved to an NL team to be a DH (if the DH finally comes to the NL) and emergency catch role. Of course I also don’t see any team giving up really anything for him either.

Looking at it, Mercedes probably doesn’t make sense since his DH spot or PH spot competes with the Eloy/Vaughn OF/DH spot, unless you want both of them in the field at the same time in LF and RF. Which would affect Adam Engel’s playing time. 

I think we all can probably agree we trust Engle over Mercedes offensively lately. And we definitely trust Engel and Vaughn more defensively than Mercedes and Jimenez. So you’re probably right, Mercedes doesn’t really makes sense, except as a PH which isn’t enough. 

The funny thing is Collins is terrible defensively but Seby is stout, yet in half as many games Seby has twice as many PB. Collins has a much better CS percentage, Collins does have 4 errors to 1. The WP with each catching is a similar number if you just count pace. If Collins is pure garbage, Seby is as well. One of the things I always hated about LaRussa and I mentioned this before the season is he always falls in love with the weakest players on the roster. It's almost like he is doing this to try to prove he is smarter than everyone.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The funny thing is Collins is terrible defensively but Seby is stout, yet in half as many games Seby has twice as many PB. Collins has a much better CS percentage, Collins does have 4 errors to 1. The WP with each catching is a similar number if you just count pace. If Collins is pure garbage, Seby is as well. One of the things I always hated about LaRussa and I mentioned this before the season is he always falls in love with the weakest players on the roster. It's almost like he is doing this to try to prove he is smarter than everyone.

Did you just ignore the advanced fielding section? You want to see a difference take a look at the DRS and pitch framing stats.