Today's Crazy Play as I Saw it

Bases loaded for the Sox , no outs, Leury Garcia at the plate. Leury hits a little tapper that only Burnes can field . Moncada is streaking home from 3rd and knows he can score standing up. While bearing down on the plate the catchers foot is smack dab in the middle of the plate. It doesn't look to me like Moncada adjusted his stride to avoid the catchers foot. As the ball is thrown and the catcher removes his foot from the base seeing the throw was uncatchable. Moncada crosses the plate but his stride comes up short and he misses the plate and the errant throw from Burnes hits Moncada then deflects and hits the HP Umpire Rehak and drops at his feet. He then signals safe and I can see Moncada turn his head to look at Rehak and he sees the safe call. At that point Moncada probably goes to the dugout  thinking he was called safe.

If the ball hadn't hit the ump and rolled another 10 or 15 ft. away Moncada might be thinking, I'm not sure I touched the plate maybe I should go back and touch it. But because the ball hit Rehak  the ball was only 6 or 7 ft from home perhaps Moncada thinking he was already safe and with the ball so close to home decides not to try to go back and touch home. If it had rolled further it's possible another run scores and it's 2 runs scored and men on 2nd and 3rd with 0 outs.

The Brewers have a meeting on the mound and Burnes retakes the mound and the catcher puts down signs. Burnes then steps off the mound and they appeal the play at the plate the normal way and the ball is thrown to the catcher and he steps on home and Moncada is again called safe. From the 1st safe call through the meeting on the mound to the 2nd safe call takes 1 minute 53 seconds.

At that point then comes the replay request and all hell breaks loose. So many things happening on that play from the double deflection on the throw to the 2 safe calls . It was another 3 minutes 25 seconds from the 2nd safe call to the replay out call. Then Larussa comes out states his case the umps go back to call New York again. Everything gets explained to both sides and when Collins steps in the box almost 6 minutes go by.

All together from the 1st safe at the plate call to Collins getting into the box to hit it takes a little more than 11 minutes.

I guess we could blame Moncada for not sliding or for taking one long stride towards home and coming up short or for not being aware he didn't touch home or for being aware he missed home and not retouching it.

We could blame the umps for calling Moncada safe twice especially since ,if Moncada had any doubts he touched the plate, the initial safe call more than likely erased those doubts. Apparently Rehak was distracted from seeing Moncada step on home when he was about to get hit by the ball and just decided to fake his way through the calls figuring 99.9 % of the time a runner touches home.

I'll just blame Murphy's law for how things have been going on the road against good teams. Not enough hitting, errors ,  poor judgment and bad umpiring.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'll just blame Murphy's law for how things have been going on the road against good teams. Not enough hitting, errors ,  poor judgment and bad umpiring.

Yeah, I'm not buying this. Great teams beat good ones. Great teams execute their pitches. Great teams get hits when their teams need them. Great teams make the plays when they need to be made.

Missing the fucking plate with your foot is little leaguer shit. Bitching about the umps when the other team is royally kicking your ass is weak sauce. 

Wanna win? Make the fucking plays. Tag the plate. Don't fucking walk the yard. Get hits. Stop giving up homers every fucking game. Stop bitching at the umps. Stop letting good teams beat you.

Then there won't be any "Murphy's Law," or whatever other excuse we can gin up.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How did the 20 second rule not apply here? Thought you only have 20 seconds after the play is dead to let the umps know you’re challenging the call? That’s the only thing I didn’t understand. They got the call right but how were they even allowed to still challenge?

the 20 secs doesnt start until after the mount visit, apeal.. ect ect.

30 minutes ago, kgrittenburg said:

Yes, he didn't think you could request a review after a mound visit, or something like that

There is supposedly a 20 second limit to challenge a call.  Maybe there are exceptions in certain cases.  I am unaware, but I only know what I’ve heard from announcers. 

30 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How did the 20 second rule not apply here? Thought you only have 20 seconds after the play is dead to let the umps know you’re challenging the call? That’s the only thing I didn’t understand. They got the call right but how were they even allowed to still challenge?

The Brewers appealed the play at the plate, which is not subject to a time limitation. Once the umpire signaled safe after the play was appealed, Craig Counsel had 20 seconds to request a manager challenge, which he did.

Tony actually addressed during the post game press conference, and James Fegan, Master of MLB Rules for the Chicago White Sox confirmed via tweet.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Brewers appealed the play at the plate, which is not subject to a time limitation. Once the umpire signaled safe after the play was appealed, Craig Counsel had 20 seconds to request a manager challenge, which he did.

Tony actually addressed during the post game press conference, and James Fegan, Master of MLB Rules for the Chicago White Sox confirmed via tweet.

Dumbest rule ever. An appeal play shouldn’t even be a thing anymore now that replay is instituted. 

21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The replay apologists (Benetti) say the reason for replay is to get the call right. Moncada clearly missed homeplate and replay got the call right but now those same people (Benetti) are crying about the process.  Can't have it both ways.  

The call was right, but unlike any other base, once the umpire signals safe at home, the play there is over. So if there was any doubt you missed the plate, thar safe call would end it. They should make the play unreviewable if the umpire signals safe.

It is basically the same thing as calling a guy at 2nd our even though he was safe, having the play reviewed,  admitting he was safe but since he was called out and came off the base to go back to the dugout, was tagged then so he is still out. 

It doesn't excuse Moncada from missing home, but it is a call that stops the action of the runner, and fielder as they made no attempt  to tag him.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Dumbest rule ever. An appeal play shouldn’t even be a thing anymore now that replay is instituted. 

There are situations subject to appeal, that do not require a manager's challenge, or are even precluded from requesting a manager's challenge. Appealing to a 1B/3B umpire for a check swing / full swing, is one instance of a play which can be appealed, but cannot be subject to a manger's challenge (replay review request).

Hopefully the Sox use it as a lesson learned situation, both for players (make sure you touch home) and their manager/coaches (you can appeal a play and then institute a managers challenge). Could be in a situation far more important than a game in mid-July.

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The call was right, but unlike any other base, once the umpire signals safe at home, the play there is over. So if there was any doubt you missed the plate, thar safe call would end it. They should make the play unreviewable if the umpire signals safe.

It is basically the same thing as calling a guy at 2nd our even though he was safe, having the play reviewed,  admitting he was safe but since he was called out and came off the base to go back to the dugout, was tagged then so he is still out. 

This is exactly how I feel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The replay apologists (Benetti) say the reason for replay is to get the call right. Moncada clearly missed homeplate and replay got the call right but now those same people (Benetti) are crying about the process.  Can't have it both ways.  

You can actually.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If the idea of replay is to get it right...they did.  Moncada screwed up...end of story.

it looked like moncada thought about going back to the plate but then he saw the umpire signal safe.. so he was like okay im good.

so not really "end of story"