Today's Crazy Play as I Saw it

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, that is apparently the exactly correct term. A team getting 90 seconds for their booth to look at a play before sending in a challenge to New York is definitely against the spirit of the pace of play rule. And a 90 second pause, followed by 10 minutes of discussion, followed by Moncada is out and Collins is up for reasons that weren’t explained at all…could not have been very pleasant for fans in the ballpark. The only people who had any idea what was going on in the whole park had to have tv or radio feed going.

I was in the park last night. The entire thing was ridiculous. That rule needs to be changed ASAP. It was like a 15 minute delay.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The way it seems to me is that there were two steps to the review. 

1. did he tag the plate the first time. No he did not. 

2. did he come back and tag the plate after missing it? No he didn’t, but the umpire told him not to by signaling safe. 

So how can you assume what Moncada’s behavior would have been had the ump not signaled safe? You can’t. 

The default ruling for an ump at the plate should apparently be that you don’t signal safe unless you are 100% certain, because if you signal safe and he missed the plate, you will almost always trigger this response because the player is trained to get out of the way when safe is called so that they don’t interfere with an ongoing play.

The player is responsible for touching home plate. I know it's hard but most can do it. Rulings can be reversed so the rest is bs. 

6 minutes ago, pcq said:

The player is responsible for touching home plate. I know it's hard but most can do it. Rulings can be reversed so the rest is bs. 

The umpire is responsible for not giving the player an incorrect call. I know it’s hard but most can do it. Once the guy listened to the ump, he took an action which could not be reversed. Having him be out based in part on an umps mistake is BS.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The umpire is responsible for not giving the player an incorrect call. I know it’s hard but most can do it. Once the guy listened to the ump, he took an action which could not be reversed. Having him be out based in part on an umps mistake is BS.

Do you blame others for your problems??  

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

That's where I am at with it. It is the one play in baseball that is like blowing the whistle in an NFL game The Brewers made no attempt to go tag him. 

In fact while watching the game I mentioned to my wife he looked like he missed the plate, but I told her he must have got it since the umpire signaled safe. No need to go back and get it.

With as clearly the replay showed he missed home and as lengthy as that process took, all the things we are mentioning were most likely discussed. They probably had to look at the replay rules themselves. 

This analogy makes sense to me. The play stops here.

41 minutes ago, pcq said:

Do you blame others for your problems??  

Again, going back to the NFL example, let’s say a defensive player picks up a loose ball and starts running to the end zone. The ref blows the whistle, so everyone stops running but the guy who picked up the ball. If the refs later reconvene and say the ref shouldn’t have blown the whistle, and it’s now a TD, that would be ridiculous, and I think everyone would agree.

Moncada missed the plate, but he was clearly called safe (physically and more than likely verbally), so neither he nor the Brewers thought he had to go and tag home or be tagged by the catcher. It’s ridiculous that several minutes later it’s appealed and he’s called out.

No point crying about it at this point, but it’s definitely a bad rule that will probably be changed or clarified.

The ump is NOT supposed to signal safe on that play. It happens several times a year that the ump makes no signal and either the catcher tags the play or the player touches the plate. That’s what is supposed to happen. Signaling safe at home play effectively ends the play for everyone.