What the Brewers Series is Telling Us

shago

The accomplishment of this pitching staff and line-up to-date has been truly amazing … however, as we’ve seen in the last few days, this is not a team ready to make a serious run in the playoffs. Against, playoff caliber starting pitching, this line-up isn’t strong enough to compete. Against the pathetic AL Central, sure, but even with the return of Eloy and LuBob, the front office needs to make some moves to bring in more OF firepower if we want to make a serious run.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shago said:

The accomplishment of this pitching staff and line-up to-date has been truly amazing … however, as we’ve seen in the last few days, this is not a team ready to make a serious run in the playoffs. Against, playoff caliber starting pitching, this line-up isn’t strong enough to compete. Against the pathetic AL Central, sure, but even with the return of Eloy and LuBob, the front office needs to make some moves to bring in more OF firepower if we want to make a serious run.

Don't forget to add Grandal as well. Adding 3 all-star caliber bats will dramatically change the lineup.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2

Meh.  It's not who you play, it's when you play them.  

The Astros looked unbeatable against us, then couldn't beat the Tigers or O's.  The Brewers have lost more games than us playing in a NL central that doesn't look much different than the AL central.  The window is wide open.  No reason to shorten it by selling the future prospects. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 2

I remember in July or August  of 2005, the Angel's coming to Chicago and dominating. The Sox should have packed it in right then.

Why are people so panicked? The team is missing 4 regulars. 3 will come back soon. A 2nd baseman will be added and a reliever. If they can stay healthy,  I like their chances.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

It is a little disheartening to me their overall record vs winning teams but that’s not to see they have not beaten good teams. Got whooped vs Astros and Yanks but beat TB, Toronto and then Houston the second time in a 3 game set and tied Boston. The season ebbs and flows but I agree, at least one good bat would be huge for when our other bats return.  

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why are people so panicked? The team is missing 4 regulars. 3 will come back soon. A 2nd baseman will be added and a reliever. If they can stay healthy,  I like their chances.

Getting those three regulars back of course makes them a better team, but there seems to be this assumption/expectation that they will all come back and perform at a high level while avoiding any setbacks. It’s certainly possible, but I don’t know how realistic it is.

• Thanks 1

They may get better but seem to lack playoff cajones right now. I would be encouraged by ReyLo and Vaughn stepping up along with the missing regulars. They still need a reliever and 2B giving Leury some bench time. 

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Getting those three regulars back of course makes them a better team, but there seems to be this assumption/expectation that they will all come back and perform at a high level while avoiding any setbacks. It’s certainly possible, but I don’t know how realistic it is.

So you think if the Sox traded for Gallo last week they win these games?

Do to roster size, etc. there is limits as to what the team can do. We have to hope the 3 returning players can stay healthy and produce. And the 2nd baseman they acquire produces.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

What this series is telling us is it sure would be nice if the Sox could get  anywhere near full strength 

Absolutely.  

It's also telling me that the season is long and you're guaranteed to lose 60+ games regardless of how good you are.  

As others have said... the only thing that matters is making the playoffs. That's really it.

The fact is, the white sox are a shoe in, maybe the most obvious team in the league to make the playoffs due to the opposition in the central division basically giving up already.

Fine tuning the team is important and we should all be incredibly frustrated if the trade deadline passes us with no improvements, but we still have a week to go to make those decisions.

Losing a few games in a row to quality teams is not a tell-tale sign of anything. Losing 2 games in MIL to their elite starting pitching combined with weird umpire decisions hardly tells us anything.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So you think if the Sox traded for Gallo last week they win these games?

Do to roster size, etc. there is limits as to what the team can do. We have to hope the 3 returning players can stay healthy and produce. And the 2nd baseman they acquire produces.

Nah, I was never in favor of them adding a big bat like Gallo. As you said, it’s just hoping our guys come back healthy and productive. But it seems that a large number of folks are already concluding that Eloy, Luis and Yaz will come back and perform at their best.

29 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

It is a little disheartening to me their overall record vs winning teams but that’s not to see they have not beaten good teams. Got whooped vs Astros and Yanks but beat TB, Toronto and then Houston the second time in a 3 game set and tied Boston. The season ebbs and flows but I agree, at least one good bat would be huge for when our other bats return.  

Does anyone know where I can find the record against .500+ teams? 

Edited by The Beast

22 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

As others have said... the only thing that matters is making the playoffs. That's really it.

The fact is, the white sox are a shoe in, maybe the most obvious team in the league to make the playoffs due to the opposition in the central division basically giving up already.

Fine tuning the team is important and we should all be incredibly frustrated if the trade deadline passes us with no improvements, but we still have a week to go to make those decisions.

Losing a few games in a row to quality teams is not a tell-tale sign of anything. Losing 2 games in MIL to their elite starting pitching combined with weird umpire decisions hardly tells us anything.

13 hours ago, chw42 said:

So...with Cleveland probably losing tonight and falling to exactly .500, I was wondering when we last beat a team above .500 on the road. 

Well, apparently it's been almost 3 months since that's happened. The last time it happened was against the Reds on May 4th. Even then, the Reds are a team barely above .500. So, the last time we actually beat a a good team on the road was against Boston on April 18th. This team has some serious issues to work out on the road. 

In the mean time, we've gone 0-1 against Boston, 0-3 against the Yankees, 0-4 against the Astros, and now 0-2 against the Brewers. That's a 10 game losing streak to good teams on the road. 

Here you go . It's not just the Brewers series . The Sox play terrible against playoff caliber teams on the road and have for a while

So yes we need Eloy , Robert and Grandal, yes we need some BP help and yes another power bat from the left side would help at 2nd base.  Those are the most obvious and cheapest options available.

A good team expected to make a long run in the playoffs has to play better against good teams on the road. I can live without having the home field advantage if everyone comes back from injury and deadline help enables the road record against good teams to improve in the 2nd half. Then ,if they can also nab HFA, I'd feel very confident in this team's chances to win the pennant and give the NL team a good World Series.

45 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Nah, I was never in favor of them adding a big bat like Gallo. As you said, it’s just hoping our guys come back healthy and productive. But it seems that a large number of folks are already concluding that Eloy, Luis and Yaz will come back and perform at their best.

I would suspect their output, at least initially,  to be a little less than normal.  OTOH, at playoff time, when most of the league is going to be pretty fatigued,  these guys will probably not.

Even with Eloy and Robert returning, the bullpen is still a disaster.  The hole at 2B is becoming more obvious, and RF is still a weak spot.  I hope the returning players aren't viewed as sufficient enough to cover the holes on the roster.

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Even with Eloy and Robert returning, the bullpen is still a disaster.  The hole at 2B is becoming more obvious, and RF is still a weak spot.  I hope the returning players aren't viewed as sufficient enough to cover the holes on the roster.

There will be only 3 non-All Star caliber spots in the lineup. That is far better than nearly every team. They can live with weaker bats at 2B and RF especially with Engel defense in RF.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Does anyone know where I can find the record against .500+ teams? 

It's kind of a weird stat to try to go by.

The Sox are a huge reason the teams they're beating are below .500.  

If you flip the results with Detroit, Minny, and Kansas City how many of those teams are now near or above .500?