What the Brewers Series is Telling Us

shago

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

Nah, I was never in favor of them adding a big bat like Gallo. As you said, it’s just hoping our guys come back healthy and productive. But it seems that a large number of folks are already concluding that Eloy, Luis and Yaz will come back and perform at their best.

We don't need them to all come back and be world beaters.  You're talking about replacing Goodwin, Sheets/Burger, and Collins/Seby.  Even decent performance will eclipse what we've gotten out of this trio. 

Also, regardless of how hot/cold the returning players may be, they demand respect from opposing pitchers and can drastically change the way our lineup is attacked.  2-0 count to Vaughn with Collins on deck is going to be pitched considerably different than it would with Yas/Lu on deck.

What this series is telling us is that the Sox are only a playoff team because the rest of the ALC isn't trying and the Twins pitching staff collapsed. 

What I keep seeing is that the Sox are not playoff caliber in any aspect of the game. Their offense isn't good enough, their SP are bum slayers and their bullpen is terrible outside of Hendriks/Kopech and sometimes Crochet, who is very hit or miss. 

I don't think that Eloy/Robert/Grandal will save them either. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

We don't need them to all come back and be world beaters.  You're talking about replacing Goodwin, Sheets/Burger, and Collins/Seby.  Even decent performance will eclipse what we've gotten out of this trio. 

I get what you're saying here, it's a low bar. I agree that even decent (but not great) performances by Eloy/Yaz/Robert are an improvement over the current situation, but I guess what I'm wondering is...how much of an actual improvement is that? Are 'non world beater' versions of Eloy/Yaz/Robert enough to make the Sox AL favorites? Not asking you or anyone in particular - no one knows - but it's just something I'm thinking about.

11 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Also, regardless of how hot/cold the returning players may be, they demand respect from opposing pitchers and can drastically change the way our lineup is attacked.  2-0 count to Vaughn with Collins on deck is going to be pitched considerably different than it would with Yas/Lu on deck.

This is a great point.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What this series is telling us is that the Sox are only a playoff team because the rest of the ALC isn't trying and the Twins pitching staff collapsed. 

What I keep seeing is that the Sox are not playoff caliber in any aspect of the game. Their offense isn't good enough, their SP are bum slayers and their bullpen is terrible outside of Hendriks/Kopech and sometimes Crochet, who is very hit or miss. 

Wow. That is the most pessimistic view you could take.  Adding 3 all-star caliber bats won't help them.

• Fire 2

The biggest thing we should have learned from this series is that the team needs another bat or two that can hit good RHP.  Jimenez will help to some extent, but adding a legit LH power bat would do wonders for this lineup.  Schwarber makes a ton of sense if we’re willing to gamble on him coming back from his hamstring injury.  Obviously that means a lot of Vaughn in RF, but I think I’d be ok with with Engel & Hamilton on the bench.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wow. That is the most pessimistic view you could take.  Adding 3 all-star caliber bats won't help them.

I don't think that those guys will be themselves until next year. Too many people assume that Eloy/Robert/Grandal are going to come in and pick up right where they left off. It's not like Eloy and Robert are even lighting up the minors during their rehab stints.

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is so fucking comical. 

Every single time the White Sox lose a series this absurdly terrible hot takes come out on this forum. Yes the team with a 113 run differential despite missing 1/2 their starting position players for much of the year isn't actually good.

Jack, you should consider watching another sport. For the 1000th time, a series in baseball tells us nothing. The sox just beat the astros, what did that series tell you jack?

Get a fffing grip and learn how to enjoy a season without having absurd hot takes everytime they lose a series.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is so fucking comical. 

Every single time the White Sox lose a series this absurdly terrible hot takes come out on this forum. Yes the team with a 113 run differential despite missing 1/2 their starting position players for much of the year isn't actually good.

Jack, you should consider watching another sport. For the 1000th time, a series in baseball tells us nothing. The sox just beat the astros, what did that series tell you jack?

Get a fffing grip and learn how to enjoy a season without having absurd hot takes everytime they lose a series.

What's their run differential against teams over .500? I'd bet it's negative. 

They're 18-27 against teams over .500 and 2-11 on the road. They're not even competitive. 

It isn't just one series. 

They're beating up on shitty teams. So? 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, black jack said:

It's kind of a weird stat to try to go by.

The Sox are a huge reason the teams they're beating are below .500.  

If you flip the results with Detroit, Minny, and Kansas City how many of those teams are now near or above .500?

Yeah I am not sure that really tells the entire story.  So if Houston, Boston, etc... have considerably better records against teams above .500 yet have a similar overall record as the White Sox wouldn't that indicate their record against teams under .500 is subpar?  Isn't that an issue to be concerned with?  Does playing mediocre against non-playoff teams somehow correlate to playoff success? 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They're 18-27 against teams over .500 and 2-11 on the road. 

Jack i could not care less what your thoughts are on the quality of the team. Its entirely irrelevant because your entire life is consumed by negativity. 

The White Sox have the 2nd best run differential in the AL despite missing possibly 12 fWAR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jack i could not care less what your thoughts are on the quality of the team. Its entirely irrelevant because your entire life is consumed by negativity. 

The White Sox have the 2nd best run differential in the AL despite missing possibly 12 fWAR.

What's their run differential against the teams they've played that will be in the playoffs? 

Their run differential is inflated by the shitty ALC. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Truly one of the most predictable threads in Soxtalk history. 

The Brewers pitching staff has been the hottest in baseball, and the Sox we’re facing their Top 3. In addition, the Sox are missing 4(!!!) offensive starters from their lineup. They’re on the road, and the Sox bullpen has been a mess lately. 

I mean, what did you think this series was going to look like? 

Yes, the Sox will almost certainly add a few bullpen arms at the deadline. They need to. But aside from that, the season rests on the additions of Eloy, Robert and Grandal. I don’t think people truly understand what a full, healthy lineup will look like and how it changes the entire makeup of the team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What's their run differential against teams over .500? I'd bet it's negative. 

They're 18-27 against teams over .500 and 2-11 on the road. They're not even competitive. 

It isn't just one series. 

They're beating up on shitty teams. So? 

Then log the fuck off, you insane baby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What's their run differential against the teams they've played that will be in the playoffs? 

Their run differential is inflated by the shitty ALC. 

Who gives a shit man. The Sox have the most talent in the league and it’s probably not close, and it’s only year 1 of a long beautiful window.  Tired of this crap.  We’re probably gonna be in the World Series 

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Who gives a shit man. The Sox have the most talent in the league and it’s probably not close, and it’s only year 1 of a long beautiful window.  Tired of this crap.  We’re probably gonna be in the World Series 

I'll be surprised if they win more than one game in the playoffs. 

I'd feel differently if the majority of the pensmen weren't gascans. 

I could buy them being good when their 3 bats return if it was only the offense that was failing against good teams but the entire team is failing against playoff quality competition. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

It tells me the White Sox have enough to easily beat 80% of the league on a daily basis, but we need our stars back to maybe get to that top level.

It also tells me that I have no idea why the starting pitching went one direction,  while the bullpen completed crashed, but we need to figure out the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Don't forget to add Grandal as well. Adding 3 all-star caliber bats will dramatically change the lineup.

Our lineup goes from lousy to awesome when we get the 3 guys back and Escobar type at 2nd just makes it scary.  The bullpen needs at least 1 top arm and two would be better.

3 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

They have to stop making stupid mistakes and start playing fundamentally sound baseball if they want to get somewhere in the playoffs. 

This is another thing that hasn't really changed since last year. It's a low IQ baseball team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'll be surprised if they win more than one game in the playoffs. 

I'd feel differently if the majority of the pensmen weren't gascans. 

I could buy them being good when their 3 bats return if it was only the offense that was failing against good teams but the entire team is failing against playoff quality competition. 

We won a playoff game last year with Keuchel as our #2 starter.  You’ve legit done lost your mind son.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The biggest thing we should have learned from this series is that the team needs another bat or two that can hit good RHP.  Jimenez will help to some extent, but adding a legit LH power bat would do wonders for this lineup.  Schwarber makes a ton of sense if we’re willing to gamble on him coming back from his hamstring injury.  Obviously that means a lot of Vaughn in RF, but I think I’d be ok with with Engel & Hamilton on the bench.

On a consistent basis, I want Eloy at DH with Vaughn in Left and  Engel/Sheets in RF.  Get Escobar and you have a well-balanced lineup regardless of the pitcher's handedness.

Edited by poppysox
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

We know

• Haha 2