What the Brewers Series is Telling Us

shago

17 minutes ago, Snopek said:

In the three most recent road series vs contenders (@NYY, @HOU, @MIL), the Sox have been outscored 54-15. Obviously this doesn’t definitively prove anything one way or another (injuries, etc), but it’d be foolish to completely dismiss it because they have a cushy division lead on four not good teams.

0-3

0-4

0-2

Won't mean much with the improvements coming but we need to get better quick winning on the road. My concern has been the poor pitching even moreso than the hitting. And our pitching has been healthy. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But I’m guessing you mean Engel.  Either way, that’s putting a lot of pressure on Sheets IMO.  Escobar will help some, but he’s definitely better again LHP.  Still feel like we’re a bat short against strong RHP.

While it's true that Escobar's overall numbers are better against against LHP, here's something to consider. He has exactly 3X the number of AB's against RHP but his extra base hits ( doubles, triples HR's) are also almost exactly 3X higher as are his walks. So while his batting average , OBP and slugging are all worse his BABIP is higher against RHP (.274) than LHP (.250). He also K's a lot more against RHP. What he loses in HR power against RHP he makes up for it with more doubles and triples. Also he has 15 HR's against RHP which easily would lead the Sox  by a large margin (Grandal and Abreu 10 each ) .

1 hour ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Hahn isn't trading Vaughn for a relief pitcher...I doubt he would part with Sheets either.  If that's what it takes to get a quality relief pitcher then the best move is to not make one.

Thank you!

Trading quality pieces for bullpen help is a great way to slam your window shut.  

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I really want to get excited about this team, but my brain tells me to wait until they make an ALCS appearance at the very least first. 

Really? You can't get excited for a team with one of the best records in baseball without many of their best players until the make the ALCS?

It must suck being a sports fan in your world.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Really? You can't get excited for a team with one of the best records in baseball without many of their best players until the make the ALCS?

It must suck being a sports fan in your world.

My brain tells me that there is no reason to get excited until they prove they're good in the playoffs. 

Baseball is a little different in that it is the most exclusive playoff pool in sports, but yeah even if they lose in the ALCS or something I can still get hyped next year. 

I like to put all of the data points together and come to a conclusion. To me, there isn't enough evidence to say they're a title contender yet. 

Data, Data, Data. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not necessarily, as the 3 bats coming back and lighting it up would change things. However I'm not counting on it happening like so many others. 

I still will be watching through the playoffs but my expectations are pretty muted. 

I still enjoy watching Sox baseball even when they suck. 

Sports are more enjoyable to me when there are zero expectations and I just enjoy the ride. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I really want to get excited about this team, but my brain tells me to wait until they make an ALCS appearance at the very least first. 

So you’re “enjoying the ride” by…not enjoying the ride?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I get your point. There are day-to-day things to be happy about. Good players, wins most games, etc. But yeah, after a rebuild, eliminated in the first round would really suck…and always will during their winning window until we’re watching a White Sox World Series game again. 

1 minute ago, flavum said:

I get your point. There are day-to-day things to be happy about. Good players, wins most games, etc. But yeah, after a rebuild, eliminated in the first round would really suck…and always will during their winning window until we’re watching a White Sox World Series game again. 

Bingo. 

My "negativity" kind of comes from being more of a big picture thinker. 

I've been a bit deflated as a Sox fan since Robert got hurt. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

My brain tells me that there is no reason to get excited until they prove they're good in the playoffs. 

Baseball is a little different in that it is the most exclusive playoff pool in sports, but yeah even if they lose in the ALCS or something I can still get hyped next year. 

I like to put all of the data points together and come to a conclusion. To me, there isn't enough evidence to say they're a title contender yet. 

Data, Data, Data. 

This makes no sense. Why wouldn't you be excited for one of the better teams in the league that isn't anywhere close to full strength yet?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bingo. 

So you will be negative until they make the ALCS or World Series?

Again must suck to be the sports fan you choose to be.

That's not a "big picture" thinker. That's looking for any excuse to not enjoy the team.

Edited by ptatc
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

This makes no sense. Why wouldn't you be excited for one of the better teams in the league that isn't anywhere close to full strength yet?

Because we've gotten to the point in the season where you can't draw any conclusions about the strength of the team vs the rest of baseball until the playoffs. 

They're good enough to make the playoffs, fine. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So you will be negative until they make the ALCS or World Series?

Again must suck to be the sports fan you choose to be.

It's not negativity, it's tempered expectations. 

I want to see evidence of team superiority first. 

If it wasn't for the team record against >.500 teams I'd be completely bought in. 

During the regular season they have to check all of the boxes for me to get excited. 

Even in 2005 I didn't expect that team to win a playoff round. I thought Boston was going to smash their brains in. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because we've gotten to the point in the season where you can't draw any conclusions about the strength of the team vs the rest of baseball until the playoffs. 

So I guess you took nothing from them taking 2 out of 3 from Houston because that is positive, and you can’t have that. If 9 game leads bother you so much, you need to have whatever means you use to watch baseball disconnected and find something to do you enjoy.

With all the bad that has happened to this team, to be where they are should make Sox fans giddy. 

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So I guess you took nothing from them taking 2 out of 3 from Houston because that is positive, and you can’t have that. If 9 game leads bother you so much, you need to have whatever means you use to watch baseball disconnected and find something to do you enjoy.

You call it negativity, I call it being realistic. 

I sat through the 2007 and 2013 seasons and that takes some real commitment and just liking baseball. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

So? Doesn't mean you can't enjoy a team in the moment that is doing well.

Not everything has to be about the future. 

I have a feeling you will be the person that will complain at the beginning of the playoffs and be pessimistic of their chances at each round just looking to prove you were right that that didn't win the world series. If they win the world series you will complain that it was lucky and they just aren't talented enough to win another one.

Sometimes the enjoyment comes from the journey not the destination. 

Those who live in the past suffer depression. 

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety.

Only those who live in the present are at peace.

Learn to enjoy the ride.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So? Doesn't mean you can't enjoy a team in the moment that is doing well.

Not everything has to be about the future. 

I have a feeling you will be the person that will complain at the beginning of the playoffs and be pessimistic of their chances at each round just looking to prove you were right that that didn't win the world series. If they win the world series you will complain that it was lucky and they just aren't talented enough to win another one.

Sometimes the enjoyment comes from the journey not the destination. 

Those who live in the past suffer depression. 

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety.

Only those who live in the present are at peace.

Learn to enjoy the ride.

You know what's worse? 

Getting excited and then getting swept in the first round. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

You call it negativity, I call it being realistic. 

I sat through the 2007 and 2013 seasons and that takes some real commitment and just liking baseball. 

So did I, which makes seasons like this even more enjoyable. If winning the WS is the only thing that can make you happy, and even if that is done, it has to be done a certain way, baseball isn’t for you. Lots of great teams had great seasons but ultimately came up short. It is easy to say the Sox won’t win, chances are you will be right, that shouldn’t take away enjoying a team that wins most of the time.

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bingo. 

Worrying about not making the world series is "big picture?"  Come on Jack. That is just absurd.