What the Brewers Series is Telling Us

shago

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

My whole approach to life is results oriented.  It's not the process that matters it's the end result. Did you reach your goal or not?  That's all that matters.  

I know everyone is different but I don't understand this attitude. Results matter but doesn't mean you can't enjoy the process.

When you travel to you ignore everything until you get to the destination?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Baseball is different than the other sports.  

The season is so long that having your team just be good and win is more than enough for me.  

Yes, I want the World Series, but if it doesn't happen I'm okay with that.  

I golf 3-5 times a week, ride a Harley on days I'm not at the course after work, and I live on the Chain O Lakes.  Boating is a huge part of my summers. 

But nothing is worse than your baseball team sucking.  Summer is just better when the Sox are winning games.

Win 90+ games the next 6-8 years and continuously make the post season and I'll be pretty stoked.  

If they get eliminated, I'll be upset and disappointed, but not for long.  

I'll be applauding the team for the great summer and looking forward to what they can add to get better. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't only care about winning the world series this year, I care about being in position to maximize the window.

Maximizing the window is the goal. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a team that is winning nearly 60% of the games. You can do both simultaneously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I know everyone is different but I don't understand this attitude. Results matter but doesn't mean you can't enjoy the process.

It's not worth going through the process if there's not a high probability of reaching your goal. 

I get enjoyment out of reaching my goals. If I don't reach my goal, then the entire process was a waste of time, energy and effort, and should have been spent doing something else. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There it is. It is 162 games. If you can enjoy it until game 175, then come back when we get there.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not worth going through the process if reaching your goal isn't guaranteed. 

You're missing out on a lot of fun if you only attempt something if you are guaranteed to succeed.  You learn a lot about yourself and everything else from failure. You need to take risks and chances.

Unless of course you are a avid hang glider of course.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You're missing out on a lot of fun if you only attempt something if you are guaranteed to succeed.  You learn a lot about yourself and everything else from failure. You need to take risks and chances.

Unless of course you are a avid hang glider of course.

The only thing failure does is lead me into a deep dark hole. This isn't therapy, so let's stop now. 

There's no feeling I hate more than to get excited about something and then get let down. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Whole lot of implying how to be a fan in this thread. So Jack is pessimistic (or "realistic," in his words). Who cares? How does that affect you? We all approach fandom differently. We're all rooting for the same outcome.

Just telling him he might be better off spending time on something he may actually enjoy.

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not worth going through the process if there's not a high probability of reaching your goal. 

I get enjoyment out of reaching my goals. If I don't reach my goal, then the entire process was a waste of time, energy and effort, and should have been spent doing something else. 

Then you are going to spend much of your life disappointed. You can use what you learned through the process of trying to reach that goal toward another goal. It doesn't have to be wasted.

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The only thing failure does is lead me into a deep dark hole. This isn't therapy, so let's stop now. 

There's no feeling I hate more than to get excited about something and then get let down. 

To each his own.  🍻🍻

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If anything but a WS win will lead you down a dark hole, there isn’t a team in existence that will let you lead a happy life. They all fall short most of the time. Enjoy what you can enjoy. Be happy this team is basically a playoff lock, and hope they are healthy and hot at the right time. Even in 2005, they needed a couple of breaks. El Duque was probably 100 to 1 to do what he did. Tony Graffinino was probably 100-1 to let a ball roll between his legs the game before, with Iguchi home ring next, or the Sox 2005 season could have easily ended in the ALDS making Chris Berman very happy.

The Braves won their division 15 years in a row, but fell short of the ultimate goal 14 times. Still, an amazing accomplishment.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Then you are going to spend much of your life disappointed. You can use what you learned through the process of trying to reach that goal toward another goal. It doesn't have to be wasted.

The destination is important,  but the best stories are the trip there.

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The key to not being disappointed is setting proper expectations. I choose to expect very little and if I get more than that be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The key to not being disappointed is setting proper expectations. I choose to expect very little and if I get more than that be pleasantly surprised. 

What's wrong with being disappointed? All fans will be disappointed if they don't win the World Series. It's part of being a fan.

39 minutes ago, black jack said:

Baseball is different than the other sports.  

The season is so long that having your team just be good and win is more than enough for me.  

Yes, I want the World Series, but if it doesn't happen I'm okay with that.  

I golf 3-5 times a week, ride a Harley on days I'm not at the course after work, and I live on the Chain O Lakes.  Boating is a huge part of my summers. 

But nothing is worse than your baseball team sucking.  Summer is just better when the Sox are winning games.

Win 90+ games the next 6-8 years and continuously make the post season and I'll be pretty stoked.  

If they get eliminated, I'll be upset and disappointed, but not for long.  

I'll be applauding the team for the great summer and looking forward to what they can add to get better. 

Same approach I take.  Even if your team is the "favorite" it is very difficult to make it to the championship series.  Win the division consistently and see what happens in the playoffs.  There is a good chance if you go consistently that one of the years you will break through and win it.  There is no reason to believe that this year couldn't be the year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What's wrong with being disappointed? All fans will be disappointed if they don't win the World Series. It's part of being a fan.

It's not worth the time with @Jack Parkman. I let myself get sucked in sometimes, but he'll never change, and that's not a crime. It just won't happen. 

In my opinion, it's sad for someone that spends as much time on this board (which means a lot of time on White Sox baseball) to not be able to enjoy the come up. And I know he'll come in and say "No I enjoy the games, I had a lot of fun when I went to the game last week!" but when two losses happen, it's back to "Well I just don't think they'll do anything in the playoffs, I won't buy in until they win the ALCS." To not be able to let yourself go a little bit and let fantasy and hope wash over you from time to time is a very sad and dark way to live life, ESPECIALLY when baseball is simply a choice of entertainment we all make. 

I've always wondered....lets say you do "Let yourself go" and really buy into the White Sox as World Series favorites this year. And then they lose to the Astros in the ALCS......what do you think is going to happen to you? It's going to suck, it's going to be a kick in the balls for a night.....then you move on. When the Hawks lost in Game 7 to the Kings in 2013-2014, I was in a Hawks bar in Southern California watching with about 45 other fans and it was one of the most deflating feelings ever when it ended in OT. I was convinced that season was another Stanley Cup Championship. It wasn't. And it stung for probably 24-48 hours. But that season was amazing, a ton of great moments, and if memory serves correct....things ended up OK the next season. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, black jack said:

Meh.  It's not who you play, it's when you play them.  

The Astros looked unbeatable against us, then couldn't beat the Tigers or O's.  The Brewers have lost more games than us playing in a NL central that doesn't look much different than the AL central.  The window is wide open.  No reason to shorten it by selling the future prospects. 

Beg to differ. The NL Central is much better than the AL central. Talking about Brewers, Reds, Cards, even Cubs are better than Cleveland, Tigers, Twins and KC this season.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's not worth the time with @Jack Parkman. I let myself get sucked in sometimes, but he'll never change, and that's not a crime. It just won't happen. 

This is basically it. Thinking you can make someone change and trying to make them change, on an internet message board no less, is pretty arrogant and selfish.