Who would you dream of the White Sox adding in trade this week, and what would you be willing to give up in exchange?

VAfan

I haven't posted much of anything on the trade speculation front, but I thought I would open post devoted to a "wish list".  The overall trade thread touches on this topic, but isn't devoted to it, and I didn't see another post that was.  If the moderators think this is redundant, they can move it. 

Here's my wish list.

1. Craig Kimbrel.  I think the Brewers series has exposed the biggest Sox weakness against talented teams that can hold down the Sox offense -- bullpen depth.  Everyone talks about adding a relief pitcher, but I don't think most set their sights high enough.  I think the Sox need to look for a shut down bullpen arm to bridge the gap between our starters and Hendriks. You could make the argument that Kimbrel is even better than Hendriks this season, but I expect he'd play second fiddle because Hendriks is signed for longer and has been the man.  

Kimbrel is one of the few players being discussed who could make a real difference.  Hendriks is reliable, but has blown 4 saves and been victimized on occasion by the HR.  Crochet could be nasty, but sometimes can't find the strike zone.  Kopech seems dominant, but struggled tonight with control.  Bummer is not consistent or reliable at all because you don't know from outing to outing if he can control his vicious slider.  Heuer has been hit hard too many times to be reliable.  Ditto for the rest. 

The Nationals proved you don't need a deep pen to win a World Series, but you do need one that does the job.  A bullpen of Hendriks, Kimbrel, Kopech, and Crochet, with potential support from Dylan Cease might be enough.  But we'd need to see how those guys are pitching at the end of September to know. 

Kimbrel could give the Sox the kind of edge Kansas City rode to its two World Series appearances and one win.  The Sox are not going to get more than 6 innings out of their top 3 starters in the postseason.  Right now they might be able to cover a couple innings.  They need to be able to cover 3 innings consistently.  

What would I be willing to give up?  First off, I don't think Kimbrel will get the haul some people think.  That's because even though he's signed for another year, it's for $16M.  He may not be overpriced, but he's not a bargain.  If the Sox are willing to take on the salary (a big IF), it should cost them less.

Here's what I'd be willing to give up.  1. Jake Burger.  2.  Jonathan Stiever or Jimmy Lambert.   3.  A player to be named.  I think Burger will be a stud hitter, but he's blocked at all his potential positions with the Sox and is 25.  Stiever and Lambert are starting pitchers.  I don't think they'll ever really make it in the Sox rotation, which is why I'd give them up.  As for the player to be named, it could be anyone.  Likely a lower level player who is a bit of a crap shoot.  

Some may say this isn't enough.  Some may say it's too much.  I don't really want the Sox to trade Burger, and have written more than one post about him.  But to get Kimbrel, the Sox would need to give up someone who is major league ready and under long term control.  

2. Marcus Semien.  For all those pining for Escobar or Frazier, Semien would be a much bigger prize.  

Why would Toronto be willing to give him up?  For the same reason the Yankees were willing to trade Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs.  He'll be a free agent and they can re-sign him next year, which would be the same thing as extending him.  The Jays are 9-1/2 games out, and they aren't winning the AL East, and several teams are ahead of them for the Wild Card spots.  Why not cash in Semien now and bring him back for a better run at it next year? 

Semien could be a real offensive difference maker on the Sox.  He would be leading the team in HRs and OPS by a wide margin.  He's actually hitting RHP better than LHP.  

You could put him at the top of the lineup behind Tim Anderson, move Moncada into the 3 hole where had the most ABs and hit the best this year.  That would make Abreu 4th, Jimenez 5th, Grandal 6th, Vaughn and Robert 7th and 8th (depending on how Robert hits when he returns), and Engel/Goodwin 9th.  

Because the Sox are unlikely to retain Semien after this year, this would be the true go for it move.  

What would I be willing to give up?  I think the Blue Jays need pitching.  I also think with Semien's $18M contract, it wouldn't require a fortune in players if the Sox were willing to assume the rest of the contract.  

I'd be looking at trading lower bullpen arms, but guys who have had time in the major leagues -- Matt Foster, Marshall, Fry, Ruiz, Burr.  What about Heuer?  Off of last season, I wouldn't have wanted to trade him. But he's become so unreliable this year.  Yet he's young enough and has enough potential upside to be a closer that he could be the key player in a deal. Toronto is built to contend now, so they will want guys who are major league ready.  Heuer is controllable, so he should have plenty of value.  

I'd offer 1. Heuer, 2. Stiever or Lambert -- whichever one didn't go to the Cubs for Kimbrel, 3. A throw in.  

So that's my wish list -- Kimbrel and Semien.  I'd be shocked if either of these things happened, but I think the Sox need to go for it this year, and Kimbrel would be a key addition for next year as well.  

In the offseason, the Sox could try to to re-sign Rodon and then trade Keuchel, mostly to unload his contract, but also to help restock.  

Who is on your wish list for the Sox?

33 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I haven't posted much of anything on the trade speculation front, but I thought I would open post devoted to a "wish list".  The overall trade thread touches on this topic, but isn't devoted to it, and I didn't see another post that was.  If the moderators think this is redundant, they can move it. 

Here's my wish list.

1. Craig Kimbrel.  I think the Brewers series has exposed the biggest Sox weakness against talented teams that can hold down the Sox offense -- bullpen depth.  Everyone talks about adding a relief pitcher, but I don't think most set their sights high enough.  I think the Sox need to look for a shut down bullpen arm to bridge the gap between our starters and Hendriks. You could make the argument that Kimbrel is even better than Hendriks this season, but I expect he'd play second fiddle because Hendriks is signed for longer and has been the man.  

Kimbrel is one of the few players being discussed who could make a real difference.  Hendriks is reliable, but has blown 4 saves and been victimized on occasion by the HR.  Crochet could be nasty, but sometimes can't find the strike zone.  Kopech seems dominant, but struggled tonight with control.  Bummer is not consistent or reliable at all because you don't know from outing to outing if he can control his vicious slider.  Heuer has been hit hard too many times to be reliable.  Ditto for the rest. 

The Nationals proved you don't need a deep pen to win a World Series, but you do need one that does the job.  A bullpen of Hendriks, Kimbrel, Kopech, and Crochet, with potential support from Dylan Cease might be enough.  But we'd need to see how those guys are pitching at the end of September to know. 

Kimbrel could give the Sox the kind of edge Kansas City rode to its two World Series appearances and one win.  The Sox are not going to get more than 6 innings out of their top 3 starters in the postseason.  Right now they might be able to cover a couple innings.  They need to be able to cover 3 innings consistently.  

What would I be willing to give up?  First off, I don't think Kimbrel will get the haul some people think.  That's because even though he's signed for another year, it's for $16M.  He may not be overpriced, but he's not a bargain.  If the Sox are willing to take on the salary (a big IF), it should cost them less.

Here's what I'd be willing to give up.  1. Jake Burger.  2.  Jonathan Stiever or Jimmy Lambert.   3.  A player to be named.  I think Burger will be a stud hitter, but he's blocked at all his potential positions with the Sox and is 25.  Stiever and Lambert are starting pitchers.  I don't think they'll ever really make it in the Sox rotation, which is why I'd give them up.  As for the player to be named, it could be anyone.  Likely a lower level player who is a bit of a crap shoot.  

Some may say this isn't enough.  Some may say it's too much.  I don't really want the Sox to trade Burger, and have written more than one post about him.  But to get Kimbrel, the Sox would need to give up someone who is major league ready and under long term control.  

2. Marcus Semien.  For all those pining for Escobar or Frazier, Semien would be a much bigger prize.  

Why would Toronto be willing to give him up?  For the same reason the Yankees were willing to trade Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs.  He'll be a free agent and they can re-sign him next year, which would be the same thing as extending him.  The Jays are 9-1/2 games out, and they aren't winning the AL East, and several teams are ahead of them for the Wild Card spots.  Why not cash in Semien now and bring him back for a better run at it next year? 

Semien could be a real offensive difference maker on the Sox.  He would be leading the team in HRs and OPS by a wide margin.  He's actually hitting RHP better than LHP.  

You could put him at the top of the lineup behind Tim Anderson, move Moncada into the 3 hole where had the most ABs and hit the best this year.  That would make Abreu 4th, Jimenez 5th, Grandal 6th, Vaughn and Robert 7th and 8th (depending on how Robert hits when he returns), and Engel/Goodwin 9th.  

Because the Sox are unlikely to retain Semien after this year, this would be the true go for it move.  

What would I be willing to give up?  I think the Blue Jays need pitching.  I also think with Semien's $18M contract, it wouldn't require a fortune in players if the Sox were willing to assume the rest of the contract.  

I'd be looking at trading lower bullpen arms, but guys who have had time in the major leagues -- Matt Foster, Marshall, Fry, Ruiz, Burr.  What about Heuer?  Off of last season, I wouldn't have wanted to trade him. But he's become so unreliable this year.  Yet he's young enough and has enough potential upside to be a closer that he could be the key player in a deal. Toronto is built to contend now, so they will want guys who are major league ready.  Heuer is controllable, so he should have plenty of value.  

I'd offer 1. Heuer, 2. Stiever or Lambert -- whichever one didn't go to the Cubs for Kimbrel, 3. A throw in.  

So that's my wish list -- Kimbrel and Semien.  I'd be shocked if either of these things happened, but I think the Sox need to go for it this year, and Kimbrel would be a key addition for next year as well.  

In the offseason, the Sox could try to to re-sign Rodon and then trade Keuchel, mostly to unload his contract, but also to help restock.  

I’m going to need more back in return than Heuer and someone whose best case scenario is back end starter…to make it worth it to Jays’ fans.

We just don’t have any stud pitchers in High A or BIRM that would be ready to pitch for the Jays next year.

For me, it’s Bryant or Baez due to positional versatility and having no idea if Eloy can keep himself off the IL for the remainder of the season.

Raisel Iglesias would be another big get.

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

Here's my wish list.

I want NOTHING to do with Kimbrel. Sure, this year has been a nice bounce back, but dude is coming off a stretch where he looked like he couldn't even pitch in AA. It would be our luck that we acquired that guy, and not the once dominant closer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

I want NOTHING to do with Kimbrel. Sure, this year has been a nice bounce back, but dude is coming off a stretch where he looked like he couldn't even pitch in AA. It would be our luck that we acquired that guy, and not the once dominant closer. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/30653/craig-kimbrel

Based on this, you’re talking about one game in July (last Thurs) he took the loss but no earned runs and not a blown save.

He’s actually lowered his ERA from 0.59 to 0.50 this month.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/30653/craig-kimbrel

Based on this, you’re talking about one game in July (last Thurs) he took the loss but no earned runs and not a blown save.

He’s actually lowered his ERA from 0.59 to 0.50 this month.

No, I'm talking about the 3 years prior to this one.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Angelina Jolie from 1994, wasn't that the Billy Bob days? One thing is for sure, I don't know anyone personally on this board, but you have to be at least as good looking as Billy Bob. Maybe not the checking account........

Confidence/charisma?  Somehow he eventually got the key role of Monster's Ball with Halle Berry after Sling Blade. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Kimbrel?  You do realize that we are either getting him as a rental, or we'd be paying two relievers alone $30 million next year?

What’s the issue with that?

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The Cubs aren't going to take less for him.  The price is going to be as a two season pitcher.

We’ll see what the market is. Thus far, the trade market has not favored the seller