Who would you dream of the White Sox adding in trade this week, and what would you be willing to give up in exchange?

VAfan

Since we are DREAMING as you said here... The following three moves:

Buxton for Crochet/Burger + - quite simply the outfield defense with Buxton would be insane. Imagine 7th inning on in the playoffs of Engel-Robert-Buxton. DROOL. 
He will cost a lot, but if Crochet isn't maximized as a starter by late 2022, he may be ruined and not worth holding onto. Buxton was offered 7/76 which is pathetic and the Sox could lock him up for something much more realistic but manageable - say 6/110. Yes the injuries suck, but the gamble for what he can be is just too hard to dream away. 

Semien for Hauer/Stievers or Dahlquist - I think Toronto would move him for pitching, and obviously the names are open for debate. Marcus is playing well, and has some playoff experience. 

Daniel Hudson for Adolfo/Stievers + - Not sure exactly what the Nationals would want for a rental but with schwarber potentially leaving they have some power needs in the outfield. Hudson would be a nice return story and has great playoff experience and stability. 

Dream big...win big. I honestly only think Hudson can/will happen, but if I was GM and making three impact moves, those put this team as clear favorite this season, and retaining Buxton long term solves RF but puts team in a future SP deficiency. with Kopech going to SP role next season, Crochet could be the odd man out anyways so get maximum value today while you still can. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Since we are DREAMING as you said here... The following three moves:

Buxton for Crochet/Burger + - quite simply the outfield defense with Buxton would be insane. Imagine 7th inning on in the playoffs of Engel-Robert-Buxton. DROOL. 
He will cost a lot, but if Crochet isn't maximized as a starter by late 2022, he may be ruined and not worth holding onto. Buxton was offered 7/76 which is pathetic and the Sox could lock him up for something much more realistic but manageable - say 6/110. Yes the injuries suck, but the gamble for what he can be is just too hard to dream away. 

Semien for Hauer/Stievers or Dahlquist - I think Toronto would move him for pitching, and obviously the names are open for debate. Marcus is playing well, and has some playoff experience. 

Daniel Hudson for Adolfo++ - Not sure exactly what the Nationals would want for a rental but with schwarber potentially leaving they have some power needs in the outfield. Hudson would be a nice return story and has great playoff experience and stability. 

Dream big...win big. I honestly only think Hudson can/will happen, but if I was GM and making three impact moves, those put this team as clear favorite this season, and retaining Buxton long term solves RF but puts team in a future SP deficiency. with Kopech going to SP role next season, Crochet could be the odd man out anyways so get maximum value today while you still can. 

I just mentioned Heuer, I think moving semien for present BP is the scenario. Heuer has obviously struggled to expectations, but he still has a dynamic arm and control, and quite possibly still be the 2nd best BP arm in toronto immediately.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I’m going to need more back in return than Heuer and someone whose best case scenario is back end starter…to make it worth it to Jays’ fans.

I think the Jay's ownership wouldn't mind the 6+ million they might be able to sidestep if they find a bidder for Semien.  

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's been weird.  The Cruz return was huge.  The Frazier return was trash.

Huge is probably a bit much.  They got two 25 year old dudes who, if they pan out, will be backend SP options.  Not bad for a 2 month rental (plus a minor league with a big arm), but huge is a stretch. 

• Like 1

Whoever they get, the Sox need to eat money to get it done. The cupboard is pretty bare in terms of current prospect talent, so to win the bidding on talent alone could be potentially disastrous for the future pipeline if it's even possible in the first place. If the Sox aren't ever going to increase FA spending, then this is how they should use the money.

A ton of possible bullpen upgrades and a several MI options available; I'd be good with any of them but would target the ones that allow us to eat $10m and only have to send a random live arm-type prospect back.

I know that doesn't sound like a "dream" scenario, but I want them to protect the system so we don't end up with another massive rebuild in a few years.

17 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

Give me Kimbrel, Bryant, and Heyward.  Eat all the money to help out the poor Ricketts & minimize the prospect cost

If we're doing crazy big trades with one team:

Schwarber, Turner, Hudson. Get Rick Hahn doing lines with AJ Preller.

Buxton but is won't happen because the Twins would likely want too much in return, i.e., a star player like  Vaughn or Madrigal plus a pitching prospect.

I don't want to trade any decent prospects to the Cubs other than Burger and some second tier pitching prospects. Not sure that is going to get any of the big names discussed.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I don't think the frazier return was trash, that's about right. I think prospect rankings aren't doing one any favors right now.

I think it's a mix of the Padres pieces being underrated and Frazier being much less valuable than people presumed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's been weird.  The Cruz return was huge.  The Frazier return was trash.

I think that's just a reflection of the public not really having any clue how prospects are being valued right now. 

2 hours ago, jenksycat said:

Give me Kimbrel, Bryant, and Heyward.  Eat all the money to help out the poor Ricketts & minimize the prospect cost

I know this was a joke (sort of) but I actually think the Sox and Cubs are going to make a move. Odds say it's for a RP or two, but maybe something bigger happens. 

But I think they matchup quite well in terms of needs. 

I'm all in on Marcus Semien from Blue Jays for any pitching prospect except Kelly or Thompson, you can give up Matt Foster too just don't know that's really giving any attention to Jay's

Richard Rodriguez from Pirates or Mychael Givens from Rocks give them Jake Burger otherwise of course Whittifield but he is going to cost more because is internal division trade..

55 minutes ago, Tony said:

I know this was a joke (sort of) but I actually think the Sox and Cubs are going to make a move. Odds say it's for a RP or two, but maybe something bigger happens. 

But I think they matchup quite well in terms of needs. 

Only partial joke.  I want the Sox to finally be on the good end of an "eat a bad contract to get a player for less prospects" trade.  Spend some of that money uncle Jerry saved these last 5 years

If Max Scherzer is available and healthy you do whatever it takes to get him.  Even though a starter is not a "need" he would be more of an impact in the playoffs than any bat or bullpen arm available. Otherwise we also will probably have to face him when he goes to the Astros or someone.

1 minute ago, joemg311 said:

If Max Scherzer is available and healthy you do whatever it takes to get him.  Even though a starter is not a "need" he would be more of an impact in the playoffs than any bat or bullpen arm available. Otherwise we also will probably have to face him when he goes to the Astros or someone.

as crazy as this is, he's really just not enough of an upgrade over their #3/#4 in the playoffs who you would be bumping. You can roll with 3 starters for a lot of the playoffs and he would cost more than his improvement would be over those guys.