Who would you dream of the White Sox adding in trade this week, and what would you be willing to give up in exchange?

VAfan

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know their history, but that’s such a horrible example for kids at home.  He should get a more severe suspension than what Castellanos got.

Unfortunately, we have some players that set even worse examples for the kids. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Holy smokes.

Unfortunately…we have zero good trade pieces that don’t downgrade us now. Kopech would probably be key.

He would be a perfect fit.  Controlled through next year, the price tag is going to be very high.  Despite NSC's hypothetical of Burger, Crochet, ++, I would think any package starts with Vaughn or Kopech...and those guys have to be untouchable.

10 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

He would be a perfect fit.  Controlled through next year, the price tag is going to be very high.  Despite NSC's hypothetical of Burger, Crochet, ++, I would think any package starts with Vaughn or Kopech...and those guys have to be untouchable.

I went into trade season thinking/hoping the outdated reports on the Sox prospects wouldn’t match the industry, but it’s clear at this point soxtalk is way higher on our prospects, and the terrible year from the high school prospects destroyed our trade inventory.

it doesn’t mean they are busts, but it was really bad timing to suck so bad.

Meanwhile, I still think our system will be more productive in producing major league pieces than it currently suggests with the 40 FVs, but all we have for tools is a few loud power guys with awful hit tools.

Wondering what it would take to grab Scherzer. MLBtraderumors says the whole $11.8M left on his 2021 salary is all deferred until 2028 . That sounds like a Jerry type contract.

I'm not sure how much that helps unless Rodon's innings pitched has started to effect him. Scherzer could take his place in the rotation and Rodon could be moved to the pen. You take on the whole salary and maybe the Sox have the pieces. It all depends on if the Nats would insist on 1 really great prospect that we are lacking or a piece on the 26 the Sox wouldn't want to trade.

Scherzer could be hard to trade because of the full no trade protection because of his 10 and 5 status. I think it's been stated he'd be willing to waive it but also use it to pick the most optimum place to be traded to. Where that might be is anyone guess.

Lots of obstacles to hurdle but still fascinating.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

My dreams aren't that crazy.  I have pretty much zero interest in subtracting major pieces from this team moving forward.

Escobar + a couple solid relievers and I will be more than happy.  We don't need to trade Madrigal, or Kopech, or Vaughn, or Crochet or even Kelley.  This team is stacked as is (when healthy), I want to take a bunch of runs at this thing.   We've built one of (if not the) best young and controlled cores in the game - let's see this thing through and not blow our load on just 21 and 22. 

Thankfully Hahn has said about a million times he's in the same boat, so I don't expect some shortsighted move like acquiring Turner or Gallo. 

16 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Cease, Kelley, Burger, Crochet, Madrigal, Rodriguez and my entire scrotum for Turner & Scherzer

The man is willing to sacrifice his entire scrote.  Fans are restless and desperate for action.  Come on already White Sox!🤣🤣

On 7/26/2021 at 10:09 AM, caulfield12 said:

Live coverage of women’s beach handball on the Jumbotron at GRF…has to be the craziest Olympic sport ever that 98% of the population didn’t even know existed.

Have you seen the horse dancing?

On 7/26/2021 at 3:01 AM, VAfan said:

I haven't posted much of anything on the trade speculation front, but I thought I would open post devoted to a "wish list".  The overall trade thread touches on this topic, but isn't devoted to it, and I didn't see another post that was.  If the moderators think this is redundant, they can move it. 

Here's my wish list.

1. Craig Kimbrel.  I think the Brewers series has exposed the biggest Sox weakness against talented teams that can hold down the Sox offense -- bullpen depth.  Everyone talks about adding a relief pitcher, but I don't think most set their sights high enough.  I think the Sox need to look for a shut down bullpen arm to bridge the gap between our starters and Hendriks. You could make the argument that Kimbrel is even better than Hendriks this season, but I expect he'd play second fiddle because Hendriks is signed for longer and has been the man.  

Kimbrel is one of the few players being discussed who could make a real difference.  Hendriks is reliable, but has blown 4 saves and been victimized on occasion by the HR.  Crochet could be nasty, but sometimes can't find the strike zone.  Kopech seems dominant, but struggled tonight with control.  Bummer is not consistent or reliable at all because you don't know from outing to outing if he can control his vicious slider.  Heuer has been hit hard too many times to be reliable.  Ditto for the rest. 

The Nationals proved you don't need a deep pen to win a World Series, but you do need one that does the job.  A bullpen of Hendriks, Kimbrel, Kopech, and Crochet, with potential support from Dylan Cease might be enough.  But we'd need to see how those guys are pitching at the end of September to know. 

Kimbrel could give the Sox the kind of edge Kansas City rode to its two World Series appearances and one win.  The Sox are not going to get more than 6 innings out of their top 3 starters in the postseason.  Right now they might be able to cover a couple innings.  They need to be able to cover 3 innings consistently.  

What would I be willing to give up?  First off, I don't think Kimbrel will get the haul some people think.  That's because even though he's signed for another year, it's for $16M.  He may not be overpriced, but he's not a bargain.  If the Sox are willing to take on the salary (a big IF), it should cost them less.

Here's what I'd be willing to give up.  1. Jake Burger.  2.  Jonathan Stiever or Jimmy Lambert.   3.  A player to be named.  I think Burger will be a stud hitter, but he's blocked at all his potential positions with the Sox and is 25.  Stiever and Lambert are starting pitchers.  I don't think they'll ever really make it in the Sox rotation, which is why I'd give them up.  As for the player to be named, it could be anyone.  Likely a lower level player who is a bit of a crap shoot.  

Some may say this isn't enough.  Some may say it's too much.  I don't really want the Sox to trade Burger, and have written more than one post about him.  But to get Kimbrel, the Sox would need to give up someone who is major league ready and under long term control.  

2. Marcus Semien.  For all those pining for Escobar or Frazier, Semien would be a much bigger prize.  

Why would Toronto be willing to give him up?  For the same reason the Yankees were willing to trade Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs.  He'll be a free agent and they can re-sign him next year, which would be the same thing as extending him.  The Jays are 9-1/2 games out, and they aren't winning the AL East, and several teams are ahead of them for the Wild Card spots.  Why not cash in Semien now and bring him back for a better run at it next year? 

Semien could be a real offensive difference maker on the Sox.  He would be leading the team in HRs and OPS by a wide margin.  He's actually hitting RHP better than LHP.  

You could put him at the top of the lineup behind Tim Anderson, move Moncada into the 3 hole where had the most ABs and hit the best this year.  That would make Abreu 4th, Jimenez 5th, Grandal 6th, Vaughn and Robert 7th and 8th (depending on how Robert hits when he returns), and Engel/Goodwin 9th.  

Because the Sox are unlikely to retain Semien after this year, this would be the true go for it move.  

What would I be willing to give up?  I think the Blue Jays need pitching.  I also think with Semien's $18M contract, it wouldn't require a fortune in players if the Sox were willing to assume the rest of the contract.  

I'd be looking at trading lower bullpen arms, but guys who have had time in the major leagues -- Matt Foster, Marshall, Fry, Ruiz, Burr.  What about Heuer?  Off of last season, I wouldn't have wanted to trade him. But he's become so unreliable this year.  Yet he's young enough and has enough potential upside to be a closer that he could be the key player in a deal. Toronto is built to contend now, so they will want guys who are major league ready.  Heuer is controllable, so he should have plenty of value.  

I'd offer 1. Heuer, 2. Stiever or Lambert -- whichever one didn't go to the Cubs for Kimbrel, 3. A throw in.  

So that's my wish list -- Kimbrel and Semien.  I'd be shocked if either of these things happened, but I think the Sox need to go for it this year, and Kimbrel would be a key addition for next year as well.  

In the offseason, the Sox could try to to re-sign Rodon and then trade Keuchel, called  mostly to unload his contract, but also to help restock.  

Who is on your wish list for the Sox?

Just want to note that I called this one!  If you read some articles, Kimbrel was thought by Hahn and Williams as a true difference maker. I agree.  I also had Heuer moving. And I had the Sox addressing the bullpen and second base. A lot of people called that, but how many others called Kimbrel?

On 7/31/2021 at 8:11 AM, VAfan said:

Just want to note that I called this one!  If you read some articles, Kimbrel was thought by Hahn and Williams as a true difference maker. I agree.  I also had Heuer moving. And I had the Sox addressing the bullpen and second base. A lot of people called that, but how many others called Kimbrel?

562e2302-fdb6-435d-8a5f-7a4c911fe064