7/27 Games

bmags

Guillermo Cuevas, a 22 year old so mehr, continues to dominate DSL with another 6 IP of shutout ball, 2 H and 8 Ks with 0 walks.

It's his second great start, for the year he's I think 11 IP 17K:1BB ratio, 7 H, and just 1 ER. Pretty good!

Something interesting to me is Alvaro Aguero played CF today and hit a homer. He's 18, but I guess signed when he was 16 and was never assigned? Just like hanging out in the DR facility like tom hanks in terminal?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

For some reason I had it in my head that Luke Shilling had TJS. Glad to see he was back for WS tonight and pitched a scoreless inning with 2 K's. He's someone who I'd think will be in Birmingham soon if he's healthy and the stuff is back.

Apparently he’s having TJS this week, so the box score is unfortunately an error.

Misael Gonzalez 3-3, HR, BB. In 14 games he has .347 AVG,  1.112 OPS. Hell of a start. He's a CFer, too. Who is this man?!

Edit: He's a 12th rounder from 2019. Hostetler's take on him after being drafted:

He’s a 6.64  runner with room for growth and he shows advanced skills behind the plate. Hostetler said that he can “really flat out catch and throw..it’s elite and plus across the board.”

Acosta was a bit more of an unknown, but he attended the White Sox’s workout at Guaranteed Rate Field prior to the draft. Hostetler called him an 80-grade runner that plays centerfield and showed scouts some power potential in the workout. 

http://www.futuresox.com/2019/06/10/2019-white-sox-draft-review-observations-and-takeaways-2/

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know the system is incredibly week right now, but it does feel like Winston Salem & Kannapolis will both sport pretty interesting rosters next year.  Just need a few guys to break out and establish themselves as legit prospects.

I could really just go for some national writer validating that some of these guys are legit interesting. I feel like when I had no idea and was just looking at box scores thinking Ruddy Yan was going to be incredible (guy had like 70 steals in single-A in the early 2000s).

I've seen enough prospects crash and burn in kanny that seeing the mixture of players capable of hitting for average (rodriguez, polanco, mieses, mendoza) or power (rodriguez, mieses, krogman, ramos) or obp (krogman, ramos) that it feels like one or two could be capable of putting it all together. 

But I'd like some damn validation there. how many bryan ramos' are there in Tampa? 10? 20? who knows.

edit: more on this, basically zero of these guys have any prospect pedigree. Ramos had the biggest bonus I believe? The high school guys like Krogman were not even in top 500 of BA I think? Rodriguez and Polanco just kinda showed up in DSL. Mieses had a real bonus, but none of these guys were top 30 international guys, or top 500 players. 

Soooo they all seem like wait and see but...I guess that means AA? or if they make noise in A+ together?

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I could really just go for some national writer validating that some of these guys are legit interesting. I feel like when I had no idea and was just looking at box scores thinking Ruddy Yan was going to be incredible (guy had like 70 steals in single-A in the early 2000s).

I've seen enough prospects crash and burn in kanny that seeing the mixture of players capable of hitting for average (rodriguez, polanco, mieses, mendoza) or power (rodriguez, mieses, krogman, ramos) or obp (krogman, ramos) that it feels like one or two could be capable of putting it all together. 

But I'd like some damn validation there. how many bryan ramos' are there in Tampa? 10? 20? who knows.

edit: more on this, basically zero of these guys have any prospect pedigree. Ramos had the biggest bonus I believe? The high school guys like Krogman were not even in top 500 of BA I think? Rodriguez and Polanco just kinda showed up in DSL. Mieses had a real bonus, but none of these guys were top 30 international guys, or top 500 players. 

Soooo they all seem like wait and see but...I guess that means AA? or if they make noise in A+ together?

All great points.  But you’re right, none of these guys had huge prospect pedigrees when they were signed.  Mieses got a $428k but that was less than half of what Josue Guerrero got in that same class.  Mendoza got $300k back in 2015.  Ramos got $300k while we were in the penalty box for Robert.  Rodriguez was a late signing for $50k while in the penalty box as well.  Not a single high profile signing amongst the lot.  Feels like those guys will need to prove themself at High A before they start developing any serious prospect value.  The same applies to Krogman who got a $190k bonus which was 8th round money.  Chase is hitting for power and walking like crazy, but also striking out at a 43% clip in low A.  He’s got to reign that shit in to build up his stock, but the tools are exciting and it’s possible it just clicks at some point.  Again, High A will likely be a big test for him.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

This is all making me think of the days when Nestor Molina and Simon Castro were our top prospects. 

It's much more exciting now.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

This is all making me think of the days when Nestor Molina and Simon Castro were our top prospects. 

It's much more exciting now.

This is what I tell myself, but I worry I'm pulling the wool over my own eyes.

think it's a defensible position that I can sit and nod with Y2Jimmy0 that this farm is cleaned out and picked over for trades, but that also it has a lot more talent than it seems.

Like 2014 felt very barren to me when following the nightlies aside from TA.

But it had Micah Johnson destroying AAA, Spencer Adams looking like a steal in RK, Courtney Hawkins had what seemed like a recovery season in A+, Yolmer was a near .300 hitter in AAA, Trey Michalcsewski had a good season in Kanny (780 OPS as a 19 year old).

So, I just don't know. It is full on wait and see mode. The absolute best thing that can happen IMO is thompson continuing to click, and kelley and dalquist turning it on. 

Also, sure would be nice if Norge Vera existed and we could see his promise by destroying the confidence of 22 year old journeyman in DSL.