One of the best catches of all time

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I feel like I saw that live, and Hawk was losing his mind.  Obviously this is the Detroit call.

Still funny to me. While an opponent getting a big hit you can easily be indifferent about. But when you see amazing catches its always a surge of awe.

I recreated the calderon catch maybe 1000 times on my back deck, the bo jackson wall climber too.

Just now, bmags said:

Still funny to me. While an opponent getting a big hit you can easily be indifferent about. But when you see amazing catches its always a surge of awe.

I recreated the calderon catch maybe 1000 times on my back deck, the bo jackson wall climber too.

Yeah, I could never do it as an announcer.  Over my years I have seen some future NBA players making plays that kids at that level make against normal HS players, and I give the play its due.

I got lucky to do some broadcasting again this year and covered the local Regional basketball championship and saw two kids signed at ND, and one who just signed at UNC as one of the top HS players in the country for next years, and when they made those kind of plays, I gave them the fair amount of excitement.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Had one of these situations at the Cape Cod League game this past weekend. Sitting out by the opposing bullpen, bunch of 20 year olds that know they aren't pitching that day and just having a fun time out of it. Every play for the home team, these guys are jawing them, making jokes like "showboat didn't need to dive", anything like that - any "plus" play the home team made was getting derided by these guys having a fun time.

Then there's a hot liner at the RFer into the setting sun, RFer made an awesome play diving in on the ball hit straight at him. Opposing bullpen all stood up and clapped for him.

Game respects game.

Another Sox great catch was by Daryl Boston, can't remember the year but he was playing left at old Comiskey and running full blast towards the foul line on a ball slicing away in foul territory, Boston jumped on the railing of the low box seats caught the ball and wound up in the 3rd row of seats, spectacular catch.

On 7/28/2021 at 7:44 AM, The Mighty Mite said:

Another Sox great catch was by Daryl Boston, can't remember the year but he was playing left at old Comiskey and running full blast towards the foul line on a ball slicing away in foul territory, Boston jumped on the railing of the low box seats caught the ball and wound up in the 3rd row of seats, spectacular catch.

I am probably wrong but I recall him diving over the wall and into the stands at full speed.  It was a long time ago.  I agree that catch was amazing.  I may be remebering it better than it was.

The thing about Calderon's catch is that ledge is actually pretty high.