Sox TV ratings up 123%

southsider2k5

The Sox and other teams were by and large at a franchise low point in 2019. While it's good the Sox have improved and will hopefully continue as best as possible, for the sport the 19% decrease is a major concern in terms of long term revenue and trends (accelerated cord cutting, very old average age of viewership).

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/2020-white-sox-post-significant-year-over-year-audience-gains

2019: Rating 0.94

2020: Rating 1.78 (89% increase)

2021: Rating 2.10 (123% increase)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox and other teams were by and large at a franchise low point in 2019. While it's good the Sox have improved and will hopefully continue as best as possible, for the sport the 19% decrease is a major concern in terms of long term revenue and trends (accelerated cord cutting, very old average age of viewership).

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/2020-white-sox-post-significant-year-over-year-audience-gains

2019: Rating 0.94

2020: Rating 1.78 (89% increase)

2021: Rating 2.10 (123% increase)

That’s just RSN’s, though.

Not counting MLB.TV, YoutubeTV, Hulu, Roku, etc., not even sure if it reflects numbers through Dish and DirecTV through MLB Extra Innings package.

At any rate, they’re getting Top 6-8 t.v. revenues per broadcast, and that doesn’t even account for increased advertising prices that benefit a network that’s 50% Sox/Bulls owned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s just RSN’s, though.

Not counting MLB.TV, YoutubeTV, Hulu, Roku, etc., not even sure if it reflects numbers through Dish and DirecTV through MLB Extra Innings package.

At any rate, they’re getting Top 6-8 t.v. revenues per broadcast, and that doesn’t even account for increased advertising prices that benefit a network that’s 50% Sox/Bulls owned.

Yeah, but the 2 number is still in the bottom of baseball. Chicago would play \more than say higher ratings in Cleveland.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/10/15/2019-mlb-regional-tv-ratings-in-prime-time-remain-solid/

Do you have a link to a story regarding the "top 6-8" in revenues? I'm not sure that is accurate, even with the increases.

Also, the network is 1/3 1/3 1/3 at this point. Does Jerry own 100% of the Sox share? I believe he does, vs. the MLB side where he has to split with other partners. They sure ain't moving TV revenue into the baseball corporation. It benefits JR, but the White Sox only get the contract rights, JR keeps all the TV net profits, it's a completely separate bucket.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/10/15/2019-mlb-regional-tv-ratings-in-prime-time-remain-solid/?sh=4fdb72f83f89

Of course, it should be noted that even that low 2’s score today would just put them ahead of a handful of teams.

Dodgers, Rangers and Angels, for example, all from massive media markets like Chicago…Mets aren’t that much higher.  So obviously those are also some of the bigger media rights deals in the sport.  Ratings aren’t everything, but they are one lagging indicator of a team’s success or failure to put a competitive product on the field.

You can see how far they still have to go to catch the Cubs, and also how bleak things were back in 2018.

• Like 2

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-update-the-estimated-local-tv-revenue-for-mlb-teams/
White Sox 3rd in baseball, from before last season

NBC Sports Chicago is owned by the NBC Sports Group unit of NBCUniversal (which owns 25%, and is itself owned by Comcast, the primary cable provider in the Chicago market), Chicago Bulls and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf (who owns a 50% majority interest), and Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz (who owns 25%).

Blackhawks should have done better this past season, as well.

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-update-the-estimated-local-tv-revenue-for-mlb-teams/
White Sox 3rd in baseball, from before last season

NBC Sports Chicago is owned by the NBC Sports Group unit of NBCUniversal (which owns 25%, and is itself owned by Comcast, the primary cable provider in the Chicago market), Chicago Bulls and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf (who owns a 50% majority interest), and Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz (who owns 25%).

Blackhawks should have done better this past season, as well.

I saw that article, but they way they derived at their estimate is very sketchy, considering the Cubs were the primary draw and you can't just split the revenue and say they didn't lose any when the Cubs left.

Hell, they still refuse to pay for two hotel rooms for Steve and Jason, something they could afford with much lower revenues / ratings.

Thanks for the correction regarding the 1/3 vs. actual 1/4. Fans need to know none of the TV revenues goes toward the ballclub beyond the contract rights, same as MLB.com media payouts, many stadium and parking revenue streams and other income "off the books" of MLB.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I saw that article, but they way they derived at their estimate is very sketchy, considering the Cubs were the primary draw and you can't just split the revenue and say they didn't lose any when the Cubs left.

Hell, they still refuse to pay for two hotel rooms for Steve and Jason, something they could afford with much lower revenues / ratings.

Thanks for the correction regarding the 1/3 vs. actual 1/4. Fans need to know none of the TV revenues goes toward the ballclub beyond the contract rights, same as MLB.com media payouts, many stadium and parking revenue streams and other income "off the books" of MLB.

Well, the Sox signed JUST a five year (compared to many now for 10-20 years in duration) extension before the 2019 season, knowing they would be (or should be) in the heart of their competitive window after the 2022 season when it would come up yet again for renegotiations.

So one can only assume their revenues weren’t going to go down any, and likely increased somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15% because of JR also controlling the Bulls, the White Sox were nearing the completion of their rebuild with most of the key pieces in place AND the fact that the Cubs were on the way out the door to start Marquee.

https://sportsnaut.com/mlb-ratings-tv-viewership-numbers/
Here’s a very comprehensive and informative piece that talks about the overall picture, as well as reasons to be more upbeat and ongoing issues with the game, pace, Manfred, etc. 

Edited by caulfield12

• 1 month later...

Without any content other than games I will be pulling the plug on NBCSN  the day after the White Sox season ends.

I don't watch the Bulls and Hawks enough to put a nickel into the Marquee pot. 

The Bears postgame is kind of good but without video that show is pretty lame.  Still photos used to tell a story does not work.

I have the new Direct TV (old AT&TV) internet thing and you can turn things that the NBCSN/Marquee package rather easily.

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Without any content other than games I will be pulling the plug on NBCSN  the day after the White Sox season ends.

I don't watch the Bulls and Hawks enough to put a nickel into the Marquee pot. 

The Bears postgame is kind of good but without video that show is pretty lame.  Still photos used to tell a story does not work.

I have the new Direct TV (old AT&TV) internet thing and you can turn things that the NBCSN/Marquee package rather easily.

The marquee pot?  Are you saying because Marquee is part of the sports package that you don't want to pay for it, or are you saying NBC and Marquee is one and the same(which as far as I know is not true unless something came out that I missed)?

According to this story https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclair-is-reportedly-bidding-for-nbc-regional-sports-networks/, Sinclair, the owner of all Bally RSNs that used to be FOX RSNs, and also the owner of Marquee, is bidding to buy all of NBC's RSNs.

Furthermore, according to this story https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/whats-happening-with-the-bally-sports-app-and-bally-sports-rsns/, Sinclair has plans to make their RSNs available directly via streaming apps, not requiring a separate cable/satellite/streaming subscription.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

According to this story https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclair-is-reportedly-bidding-for-nbc-regional-sports-networks/, Sinclair, the owner of all Bally RSNs that used to be FOX RSNs, and also the owner of Marquee, is bidding to buy all of NBC's RSNs.

Furthermore, according to this story https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/whats-happening-with-the-bally-sports-app-and-bally-sports-rsns/, Sinclair has plans to make their RSNs available directly via streaming apps, not requiring a separate cable/satellite/streaming subscription.

Jfc 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The marquee pot?  Are you saying because Marquee is part of the sports package that you don't want to pay for it, or are you saying NBC and Marquee is one and the same(which as far as I know is not true unless something came out that I missed)?

For AT&TV I pay for NBCSN and Marquee together as a two channel package that I can cancel .  Does not impact other sports package channels.  

Based on the cord cutting article, it sounds like the Cubs and White Sox may again a common broadcast partner, Sinclair, after decades of WGN broadcasts. Wonder if Sinclair will ever send their broadcasting crews back on the road.

MLS and NFL are the only two sports which continue to broadcast games over the air, and their ratings have done well. The other three sports have ratings continue to dive,

If one of the Chicago MLB teams returned a significant portion of games, even say a dedicated weekend game like the Yankees do in NY, it would go a long way to increasing positive team exposure in a cord cutting world.

Been satisfied listening to games while getting nice walks in, and watching the game summaries free on MLB.com. Like the broadcasters on radio better as well, and they actually attend all the games in person. What a concept!