Summer Olympics Thread

20 minutes ago, wegner said:

NBC hyping up what could be Katie Ladeckys last race...should've asked her 1st....that wasn't my last swim, I'm coming back in 2024 and maybe 2028....I just love that Woman.

When they asked her that - before she even answered I was like - she already said she wanted to do 24 and maybe 28 lol.  Awesome to see her come back and crush it in her last few events.  Way to bounce back after early results weren't what she expected!  Dressel is filthy too.  

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

When they asked her that - before she even answered I was like - she already said she wanted to do 24 and maybe 28 lol.  Awesome to see her come back and crush it in her last few events.  Way to bounce back after early results weren't what she expected!  Dressel is filthy too.  

Dressel with 3 swims tonight....that man is a beast.

14 hours ago, wegner said:

Watching beach volleyball...Americans served and it was called out....Americans challenged and it was called in....Canadians challenged that and it was called out again....Huh!??!

That was the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. 

13 hours ago, wegner said:

Damn fun to watch Bobby Finke finish long races and blow people away in the last 50M in the pool...holy cow!!!

That was as fun of a 1500 as I can remember and than the us men in the 100 meter medley wow. Women did well too - split second silver to Australia in a real good race. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

That was the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. 

Does MLB know you can challenge a challenge decision?

I'm with you, I kept saying to my wife you cannot do that and she kept saying it was out and I'd say again that you cannot do that 🤣

Are we still going by gold medals, total medals or giving them a 5-3-1 or 3-2-1 points ranking?

https://sports.yahoo.com/sorry-america-chinas-leading-the-real-olympic-medal-count-081228981.html

If you go by a points system awarding more for first, US still wins.

Of course, US prioritizes team sports…whereas China and Russia more systematically will determine which individual sports, no matter how obscure, provide the greatest ROI in terms of winning gold medals.

The US was heavily favored coming in, had the most athletes by far…but it kind of feels almost like a draw.

Maybe if we keep adding team medals in BB and volleyball it will be super tight by the end of tmrw.

https://news.yahoo.com/chinese-nationalists-furious-beijing-backed-032700286.html

Then perhaps the biggest shock…the Chinese government has twisted themselves into a pretzel on those Mao pins they simply can’t escape.  Can’t have your cake and eat it, too, and I worry about the nationalistic social media being 10x worse next February compared to the flareups with Japanese, Taiwanese and Chinese athletes.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Didn’t think this team would pull it out. They made it interesting all the way until the end when lillard and jrue missed free throws and they had a couple awful late turnovers. Kd was awesome though. 

Dame was awful in the olympics. Was damn proud watching Zach. His defense and efficiency were exactly what was needed.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

What a great story!

I recorded and watched the game this morning. Japan's pitching was just too good. The US was always going to be a longshot to win gold with Japan pausing their season to let their best players (sans Ohtani) to play.

Just watched one my favorite Olympic moments from this year....3 guys were pushing at the end of the Marathon for Silver and Bronze.  As the guy in 3rd place started to go into his final kick he kept looking back encouraging the guy in 4th to come with him to get a medal...they both did and embraced at the finish line medalists from Nerherlands and Belgium....outstanding. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Great Olympics for the volleyball team playing without Jordan Thompson for the week.  Drews has been outstanding. 

Just completely destroyed Brazil that whole match.  Was never really particularly competitive.  

And USA finishes with most golds, most silver and most bronze.  Despite a number of disappointments before and after the games the USA still finishes on top.