Starling Marte to As is close

Sockin

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I know Luzardo has been ass this year, but this is like trading Cease last year. 

If these are the prices then idk how the Sox can get anything done really. 

Oh for the love of god. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know Luzardo has been ass this year, but this is like trading Cease last year. 

The Marlins are paying Marte's entire salary. 

A's can't take on payroll so they have to give up Luzardo to get a piece. Sox can take on salary.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Luzardo has sucked harder this year than Cease did last year. 

• Like 4

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Luzardo has sucked about as hard as Cease did in 2019 when he got called up. 

That is the equivalent. 

You said last year, not 2019. 

A prospect sucking his first year up is way different than a guy sucking in is 2nd full season up, from an experience and years-controlled standpoint. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

You said last year, not 2019. 

A prospect sucking his first year up is way different than a guy sucking in is 2nd full season up, from an experience and years-controlled standpoint. 

This is Luzardo's first full season. 

I meant 2019. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Luzardo has sucked about as hard as Cease did in 2019 when he got called up. 

That is the equivalent. 

More like trading ReyLo in 2019.

Edit: Which even then is a stretch, but I don't have easy comparisons that can reach your permanently pessimistic wavelengths. 

Luzardo is a very, very good return for Marte and paying $4mm. 

Look at Giolito from year to the next. Or Cease. Sometimes all these guys need is a change of pace or team. One slight tweak and they're a star. 

Personally I'm a fan of this trade for the Marlins. They tried extending Marte at like 3/39 and he said no. I think that's a fair price on Marte. You move on and you get yourself a nice lottery ticket with significant upside. They now have:

Alcantara

Rogers

Pablo Lopez

Eleiser Hernandez

Max Meyer

Edward Cabrera

Jesus Luzardo

That's SEVEN! deep of really nice arms. And not only that ... all arms that have either performed in the majors or at AAA. I wouldn't actually surprised if Luzardo opens them up to trading a Rogers or Alcantara for a nice return of prospect bats. 

Ng and Jeter have that team on the cusp. They are a few FA signings away from being a team on the up and up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Anthony Rizzo sign on and go back to Miami area to finish his career. Maybe even Baez somewhere in the IF. 

You then have:

1b: Rizzo/Aguilar

2b: Jazz Chisolm (who i think has the makings of being an annual all star

SS: Javy Baez

3b - Miguel Rojas

OF: Garret Cooper/Brian Anderson/Jesus Sanchez (really weak here .... brinson, etc) would need a nice FA signing in CF

C - meh - alfaro

With that rotation 7 deep? if you trade an alcantara for a stud CF prospect + some other pieces? if the marlines are ready to spend some money they have the makings of being a real darkhorse to win a division or pennant next year... they just need 2-3 bats and with some many impact SS available that could be anywhere from Correa, Semien, Story, Baez, etc. etc. 

13 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I forgot about Sixto! 

EIGHT! deep. lawd. 😛

That team is set up for me to put a nice $25 or $50 wager at like +4000 to win the World Series next year. That type of pitching depth is hard to come by. 

Currently Rogers and Sixto on the IL, Cabrera just came off the IL. They have built quite the pitching rotation talent... let's see if they can keep them healthy. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This is getting Lucas Giolito after 2018 by paying cash and giving up a good expiring contract.  This is a freaking steal.

This is a good move for the Marlins, but Giolito’s turnaround was mostly unprecedented.  Luzardo could very well take a major step forward next year, but far from a guarantee.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

This is a good move for the Marlins, but Giolito’s turnaround was mostly unprecedented.  Luzardo could very well take a major step forward next year, but far from a guarantee.

And neither is any other prospect.  But you aren't going to get any higher ceiling of a player in a deal like this.

Difference to me is Luzardo had had a lot of injuries. As are pretty good at assessments, but I like the trade for both teams.

The group that moved to the Marlins from the Yankees were very good, and now you see cashman really struggling, it makes you think.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe ... but it's not like Luzardo hasn't already had success at the majors. Luzardo had tossed 70IP of under 4FIP ball entering this year ... at the ages of 21 and 22. 

I'd guess that this years wildness was the outlier and will return to a top prospect soon.