Is Vaughn turning into a legit ROY candidate?

Greg Hibbard

1 hour ago, gogosox1959 said:

I don't think that he's ROY as his early, (initiation), numbers stop it from happening.

I strongly believe that he's the team's MVP, (non-pitcher division).   Where would the Sox have been if he couldn't play left after Eloy went down....and now RF with Eloy coming back?

I agree that he should be the DH.   It's a handicap not to have a big target at 1st to throw to.  In fact I prefer him in the outfield to 1st when you compare the number of infield hits by short stretching as compared to balls that get by in the outfield.

What would be fun to do is to read all of the initial posts about what was going to happen with him in left.  

Then who is AL ROY?

I don't think he will quite make it due to his early struggles and also because TLR used him on and off the first 5-6 weeks which made it harder for him. 

Still he is having a nice season, among AL rookies he is 6th in war, 3rd in wrc+, 7th in avg and 6th in homers. 

He probably will finish top 3-4 or so in Roy voting. 

On 8/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, Dominikk85 said:

I don't think he will quite make it due to his early struggles and also because TLR used him on and off the first 5-6 weeks which made it harder for him. 

Still he is having a nice season, among AL rookies he is 6th in war, 3rd in wrc+, 7th in avg and 6th in homers. 

He probably will finish top 3-4 or so in Roy voting. 

We have 6 more weeks and Vaughn will be seen on the national stage due to our position.  IMO anything can happen in the ROY voting including a come-from-behind Vaughn victory.

• Like 1

I don't think he will win ROY, but he deserves recognition. In addition to his growth as a hitter, he has done well playing positions in which he has had no or little experience. He has done a lot to contribute to this winning season, and he will only get better.

Vaughn has been a revelation. He is the only member of the 2019 draft class contributing at the major league level (save for Manoah RHP Toronto). Not only is he contributing, he has the best plate approach and swing mechanics of any player in my recent memory. ROY or not, he is a star in the making.

• Like 1

He deserves to be in the conversation, but unless he goes on an absolute tear for the last 6 weeks I don't see him winning it.  His slower start and lack of regular play early probably impact decision makers, and he's not flashy enough to draw a ton of national attention.  Definitely one of the Sox 2021 MVPs though.

31 minutes ago, shago said:

Of how bad someone can be in clutch situations ... 

He has to change his approach with two strikes and maybe even with one strike.  Maybe take a few more pitches and coax a walk or get into a more favorable count to get a fast ball.  He has power to Right Center so maybe he should look to drive it that way .