Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Hibbard

Is Vaughn turning into a legit ROY candidate?

Recommended Posts

I haven’t looked at the field much beyond Adolis Garcia, but it seems like Andrew might be hitting himself at least into the picture lately…

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I haven’t looked at the field much beyond Adolis Garcia, but it seems like Andrew might be hitting himself at least into the picture lately…

I think if he can finish at .280 with 20 HRs, he has a chance.  Will it help for voters to see he switched positions?  Will it hurt Arozarena for voters thinking he was basically a rookie last year?

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think if he can finish at .280 with 20 HRs, he has a chance.  Will it help for voters to see he switched positions?  Will it hurt Arozarena for voters thinking he was basically a rookie last year?

Vaughn and Arozarena have the same wRC+. That's actually kind of crazy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If AV can finish the rest of the season like did in July, he's got a shot for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adolis Garcia looked like he was running away with it and then he's recently hit a big skid. He's hitting .226/.278/.374 in his last 50 games. Vaughn is really trailing on PAs and the counting stats.

Garcia - .254/.299/.486 - 22 HR 62 RBI 45 R 1.9 WAR 112 wRC+ - 91 games, 375 PAs

Arozarena - .256/.334/.421 - 13 HR 60 RBI 60 R 1.4 WAR 112 wRC+ - 93 games, 401 PAs

Vaughn - .262/.321/.455 - 11 HR 31 RBI 43 R 1.2 WAR 112 wRC+ - 88 games, 318 PAs

Luis Garcia has been outstanding for Houston on the pitching side. Badoo is hitting his way into the picture. Haase with Detroit has big power numbers.  I have Vaughn in 5th right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a huge fan of AV.

He is going to be very good for a very long time.

I see a more athletic Paul Konerko when i see AV.......If AV can have the career Paulie did, I will take it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Adolis Garcia looked like he was running away with it and then he's recently hit a big skid. He's hitting .226/.278/.374 in his last 50 games. Vaughn is really trailing on PAs and the counting stats.

Garcia - .254/.299/.486 - 22 HR 62 RBI 45 R 1.9 WAR 112 wRC+ - 91 games, 375 PAs

Arozarena - .256/.334/.421 - 13 HR 60 RBI 60 R 1.4 WAR 112 wRC+ - 93 games, 401 PAs

Vaughn - .262/.321/.455 - 11 HR 31 RBI 43 R 1.2 WAR 112 wRC+ - 88 games, 318 PAs

Luis Garcia has been outstanding for Houston on the pitching side. Badoo is hitting his way into the picture. Haase with Detroit has big power numbers.  I have Vaughn in 5th right now.

They all have 112 wRC+...that's actually funny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kittle's ROY year (1983)  .254 with 35 HR

His power numbers kind of faded after that magical year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, tray said:

Kittle's ROY year (1983)  .254 with 35 HR

His power numbers kind of faded after that magical year.

Vaughn just doesn’t have nearly enough RBI’s….would need 20+ Homers and 75ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most important things all season was that he was able to adequately play left field.  To put it mildly, there was great skepticism here about that possibly working.  What would have the line-up looked without that working?

So far this season: 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, DH.      He really has a catcher's body.  Just too slow without enough range for SS, CF

He pitched a couple of innings, (10 relief appearances - not good) for Cal.  Reportedly threw in the low 90's.

Apparently intelligent, (Cal-Berkley), and has the "whatever you want coach mentality"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew Vaughn up to 12th in WAR among all rookies per Fangraphs, with Madrigal one of the twelve ahead of him.

Baddoo or Haase may be his biggest competitors for AL ROY honors.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=2&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

# Name Team G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA xwOBA wRC+ BsR Off Def WAR
 
 
Page size:
 479 items in 16 pages
1 Jonathan India CIN 91 373 8 53 39 7 13.1% 22.5% .138 .353 .276 .401 .414 .363 .348 125 -3.0 8.6 1.0 2.2
2 Akil Baddoo DET 82 290 10 40 40 14 10.3% 26.2% .221 .351 .275 .348 .496 .359 .318 128 2.2 12.0 -2.3 2.0
3 Adolis Garcia TEX 91 375 22 45 62 8 5.1% 30.1% .231 .309 .254 .299 .486 .333 .317 112 -2.4 3.1 2.6 1.9
4 Patrick Wisdom CHC 55 169 15 29 26 3 8.9% 39.1% .327 .361 .268 .337 .595 .390 .354 145 0.5 10.2 0.6 1.6
5 Eric Haase DET 55 213 17 34 41 1 6.6% 31.9% .310 .277 .244 .300 .553 .359 .340 128 0.1 7.2 0.6 1.5
6 Nick Madrigal CHW 54 215 2 30 21 1 5.1% 7.9% .120 .324 .305 .349 .425 .336 .287 115 1.1 5.1 1.7 1.4
7 Randy Arozarena TBR 93 401 13 60 47 11 9.0% 26.7% .166 .328 .256 .334 .421 .328 .288 112 0.8 6.8 -6.9 1.4
8 Dylan Carlson STL 100 426 11 52 43 0 9.9% 24.4% .161 .321 .255 .338 .417 .328 .329 108 -0.1 4.2 -4.7 1.3
9 Tyrone Taylor MIL 66 184 9 24 32 5 7.6% 23.4% .216 .297 .259 .342 .475 .351 .331 119 0.4 4.8 1.4 1.2
10 Ramon Urias BAL 48 156 4 18 23 1 8.3% 22.4% .135 .353 .284 .353 .418 .339 .340 116 0.6 3.6 3.1 1.2
11 Tyler Stephenson CIN 82 262 5 40 30 0 10.7% 17.2% .124 .326 .280 .370 .404 .341 .320 111 -2.1 1.5 1.7 1.2
12 Andrew Vaughn CHW 88 318 11 43 31 1 6.9% 23.0% .192 .309 .262 .321 .455 .332 .332 112 -0.7 4.1 -3.3 1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

One of the most important things all season was that he was able to adequately play left field.  To put it mildly, there was great skepticism here about that possibly working.  What would have the line-up looked without that working?

So far this season: 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, DH.      He really has a catcher's body.  Just too slow without enough range for SS, CF

He pitched a couple of innings, (10 relief appearances - not good) for Cal.  Reportedly threw in the low 90's.

Apparently intelligent, (Cal-Berkley), and has the "whatever you want coach mentality"

but do the voters care that he had never played it before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last 14 days 1.030 OPS, last 28 days .952 OPS. He may just be hot but he seems to be really coming into his own…

I don’t understand his defensive WAR totals. It seems like he’s really improved in the field and has made some really spectacular plays lately but he’s sitting on a -0.7 dWAR. What does this even mean, and is that stat accurate and or relevant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Last 14 days 1.030 OPS, last 28 days .952 OPS. He may just be hot but he seems to be really coming into his own…

I don’t understand his defensive WAR totals. It seems like he’s really improved in the field and has made some really spectacular plays lately but he’s sitting on a -0.7 dWAR. What does this even mean, and is that stat accurate and or relevant?

He's very good at catching what he can get to, but his range is poor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

He's very good at catching what he can get to, but his range is poor.

Not meant as a comparison between the two, but this calls to mind the days of Dye in RF. Seemed like he was always making running/diving catches out there, but they would have been routine balls for most RF's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Not meant as a comparison between the two, but this calls to mind the days of Dye in RF. Seemed like he was always making running/diving catches out there, but they would have been routine balls for most RF's. 

Yeah, Vaughn is fine to play corner OF when you have injuries and run out of options, but unless you've got silver slugger level guys to fill 1B and DH, Vaughn really should be filling one of those spots and go get another OF for next season.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really wrong about Jonathan India. His early minors were exactly what I was expecting of him and was quick to dismiss, and he's been exactly the guy in the majors that he popped up as in his junior year at florida. Kudos, big hit for Cincy there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has been trending better in terms of bookie odds to win it.  Currently 4th behind Arozarena, Adolis Garcia, and Luis Garcia.

 

He was 20 to 1 when I bet him March 3rd. Dropped lower the first couple months of the season. A few weeks ago down to 15 to 1 and as of today 10 to 1. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that he's ROY as his early, (initiation), numbers stop it from happening.

I strongly believe that he's the team's MVP, (non-pitcher division).   Where would the Sox have been if he couldn't play left after Eloy went down....and now RF with Eloy coming back?

I agree that he should be the DH.   It's a handicap not to have a big target at 1st to throw to.  In fact I prefer him in the outfield to 1st when you compare the number of infield hits by short stretching as compared to balls that get by in the outfield.

What would be fun to do is to read all of the initial posts about what was going to happen with him in left.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×