Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol a deep dive into what? The Sox replaced leury garcia as their starting second baseman with cesar Hernandez. It's not something you can tell me is a for sure upgrade which is incredibly disappointing 

Defensively if you look at his past few years it definitely is. Mendick and Leury are hurting us defensively at 2nd base. 

Edited by Baron

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Pilkington isn't even ranked in the top 30 by futuresox, no?  Maybe he moved into the back end by now, but I don't see the big worry here.

I don't see Pilkington on any top 30 lists (fangraphs, pipeline).  I don't see the worry either.  

This is fine. but not worth any eyeballs anywhere. Hopefully his BABIP sees an improvement and he can get some protection somewhere in the lineup, but this doesn't move the needle at all, it is a move for moves sake to say...see we are serious!

Edited by EloyJenkins

Hernandez had an awful start but has been hitting much better over the past month or so.

I had a slight preference for Escobar, but it's a similar add. And with his team option he can be our backup INF next season. Just surprised CLE would even trade with us. Other AL Central teams wouldnt

Now go get a legit set up man

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dominikk85 said:

He is basically a 100-105 wrc+ hitter while mendick and leury are 75-80 guys. That actually is a very big upgrade, you don't need to have a star at every position. 

Pilkington has some talent and the thought what the indians player dev stuff could turn him into is a bit uncomfortable but he probably isn't going to be a star either and if the indians turn him into a solid 4 starter all credit to them. 

I dont care what we gave up, I care that this is a move that makes the bench depth deeper but does not guarantee an improvement to the starting group. And it's not a "very big upgrade" when from a total package value standpoint they've been similar players this year. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not a fan at all really. He's barely an upgrade over what we're throwing out there now

You really think Leury and his .474 OPS vs. teams above .500 is the same as having a league average hitter with pop at 2B? BTW, Hernandez's splits vs. good teams looks about the same as his splits vs. bad teams. 

Just now, chw42 said:

You really think Leury and his .474 OPS vs. teams above .500 is the same as having a league average hitter with pop at 2B? BTW, Hernandez's splits vs. good teams looks about the same as his splits vs. bad teams. 

Lol now we're doing ops vs teams above 500 for a guy with 300 pa's. 

1 minute ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Hernandez had an awful start but has been hitting much better over the past month or so.

I had a slight preference for Escobar, but it's a similar add. And with his team option he can be our backup INF next season. Just surprised CLE would even trade with us. Other AL Central teams wouldnt

Now go get a legit set up man

.898 OPS in July.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol a deep dive into what? The Sox replaced leury garcia as their starting second baseman with cesar Hernandez. It's not something you can tell me is a for sure upgrade which is incredibly disappointing 

It's definitely an upgrade, and allows Leury to actually be used in a utility role.

It may not be a huge upgrade, but it makes the team better and cost almost nothing

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

In what way does adding a 100wrc+ Replacing an 85 guy not equal an improvement. 

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol now we're doing ops vs teams above 500 for a guy with 300 pa's. 

This has been Leury's thing his entire career. His OPS vs. bad teams is 150 points higher than his OPS vs. good ones. Leury as a 2B in the playoffs was never going to work. 

Sensible trade happens.

SoxTalk: "Why weren't they able to acquire this guy, for the rights to the ghost of Courtney Hawkins? We got ripped off!!!1"
                "This guy is worse at 2B than Danny Mendick (lol) and Leury 'cracks show when I play everyday' Garcia!"

Never change

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This is fine. but not worth any eyeballs anywhere. Hopefully his BABIP sees an improvement and he can get some protection somewhere in the lineup, but this doesn't move the needle at all, it is a move for moves sake to say...see we are serious!

How dare you dismiss eyeballs 

• Haha 1

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic