Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We'll just agree to disagree. I don't think this is a big defensive upgrade at all.

Hernandez won the GG last year.  Leury is barely average defensively at 2B.  i think defensively it is a pretty big upgrade.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That's literally nothing in the world of defensive metrics. One full season is volatile and tough to draw any conclusions from let alone 200 innings

See here's the thing. You have zero evidence for him being a good defensive player. I have evidence for the contrary. You need to brush up with the fielding bible because 150 innings is about normal for them to start tracking whether it's accurate or not. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Because on a total package value basis this year they're similar players? One is on a 2.5 per 600 pace the other a 2.2 per 600 pace. In a sample of 70 games, we're talking about replacing just a guy with just another guy. Cesar has a 307 obp with a hr/fb rats 7% higher than his previous career high.

And a BABIP like 100 points lower. You’re now also functionally replacing Danny Mendick with Leury Garcia which is also an improvement. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Because they didn’t like his medical!

This is the key.  Escobar was the original target by all accounts and he didn't pass the medicals.  Hernandez is nearly a clone of a player as Escobar when you really look at it.

Solid pickup, the type I posted yesterday I thought Hahn would ultimately acquire.

I’m just hoping Rain Man actually uses Hernandez, and also doesn’t feel the need to continue to play Leury every single day (2B, RF, CF, plus spelling Tim and Yoan) as the missing puzzle piece to his RLRLRLRL lineup obsession.

Leury should be playing twice a week, at most, after this acquisition.

• Like 2

For those that think Hernandez's HR output isn't sustainable: he's upped his barrel rate by 6% this year over his career norms. That's also 3x higher than his career norms. Is he just running into the ball more? Possibly. But it also just looks like a change in his approach. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Does he travel with Cleveland to Chicago...or do the Sox have to go pick him up.  I guess I am asking if the Sox got free delivery in the deal??

They are amazon Prime members so next day delivery is free and guaranteed

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

I don't see Pilkington on any top 30 lists (fangraphs, pipeline).  I don't see the worry either.  

And this is a pretty thin and raw system.  Sure he'd be a nice guy to have, but we have upper level pitching, and we also have a bigger need at 2B.,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Watch Cleveland turn him into a useful starter.

Truthfully? Who cares! The idea is to win, and to do so, when you have the chance to, which the Sox now do and should for years to come, you trade organizational depth/prospects for major league pieces to fill holes. I'm a Sox fan, not a Birmingham Barons fan. We don't get any special prize for hoarding prospects. You want to argue Hernandez isn't the right guy they should have gotten to help them win now, that I'll listen to, but giving up a AA pitcher to help you win now.....

Edited by Soxsi75

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

And a BABIP like 100 points lower. You’re now also functionally replacing Danny Mendick with Leury Garcia which is also an improvement. 

Yeah, I mentioned it improves the back end of their roster; that is indisputable. But I want to win a World Series and I wanted a player that could make an impact. I wanted a sure thing upgrade that is an exciting piece. I didn't want a guy who could feasibly get outplayed by Garcia in a smaller sample.

If we wanted a power-first low-OBP 2nd baseman they should have gotten Escobar. It's just a disaster we didn't get Escobar if this was our direction.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Just now, Soxsi75 said:

Truthfully? Who cares! The idea is to win, and to do so, when you have the chance to, which the Sox now do and should for years to come, you trade organizational depth/prospects for major league pieces to fill holes. I'm a Sox fan, not a Birmingham Barons fan. We don't get any special prize for hoarding prospects. 

I'm not mad at the return. I just think Cleveland is good at developing pitchers. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

And this is a pretty thin and raw system.  Sure he'd be a nice guy to have, but we have upper level pitching, and we also have a bigger need at 2B.,

Thinking Hernandez isn't that good is one thing, bemoaning letting go of Pilkington and acting like it was so much more than escobar is another thing entirely

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

8DD2645C-8947-4EE7-82B8-738FA23A52D2.jpeg

David Kaplan is not good source for info lol 

Plus that's the second time he's pulled that excuse. See his Trevor Story rumor. That was just pure BS. 

Edited by Baron
  • Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I mentioned it improves the back end of their roster; that is indisputable. But I want to win a World Series and I wanted a player that could make an impact. I wanted a sure thing upgrade that is an exciting piece.

If we wanted a power-first low-OBP 2nd baseman they should have gotten Escobar. It's just a disaster we didn't get Escobar if this was our direction.

tenor.gif

• Like 3

Just now, DirtySox said:

His home run numbers are because of the change in approach and barrel%. Good thing GRate is a better hitter's park than Cleveland. Statcast has him at 19 expected homers if he played all his games at GRate. 

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic