Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I mentioned it improves the back end of their roster; that is indisputable. But I want to win a World Series and I wanted a player that could make an impact. I wanted a sure thing upgrade that is an exciting piece.

If we wanted a power-first low-OBP 2nd baseman they should have gotten Escobar. It's just a disaster we didn't get Escobar if this was our direction.

That guy just isn't out there except for maybe Gallo, and arguably Frazier

7 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Hernandez won the GG last year.  Leury is barely average defensively at 2B.  i think defensively it is a pretty big upgrade.

Pushing Leury back into his super sub role is a really nice help to a line up that has a lot of ailing guys too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I mentioned it improves the back end of their roster; that is indisputable. But I want to win a World Series and I wanted a player that could make an impact. I wanted a sure thing upgrade that is an exciting piece.

If we wanted a power-first low-OBP 2nd baseman they should have gotten Escobar. It's just a disaster we didn't get Escobar if this was our direction.

Nothing about this is a disaster man.  Deep breaths.  Escobar and Hernandez have quite literally been the same player this year, and one is a better defender.  And that one isn't Escobar.  I too would have preferred EE, but this is far from a disaster. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you feel that this is ridiculous?

It kind of is considering he hit better after his supposed injury. Unless they were talking about vaccination status, like Ron mentioned. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nothing about this is a disaster man.  Deep breaths.  Escobar and Hernandez have quite literally been the same player this year, and one is a better defender.  And that one isn't Escobar.  I too would have preferred EE, but this is far from a disaster. 

For what this team needs, I don't buy Hernandez power surge at all and he's done so while destroying his OBP.

It's a disaster because it's the White Sox making a move just to make a move and settling for a guy. Escobar's track record of being this type of player is much longer. Hernandez has a few more balls not go over hte fence and he's trash.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, wegner said:

Seems like maybe a move just to make a move...very curious what they gave up.  There was talk in another thread about trading ron....is that a possibility?? :cool:

I really think they are counting on a rebound in his BABIP  for the 2nd half. It's already started if his last month of production is any indication when he's been over  .900 OPS.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For what this team needs, I don't buy Hernandez power surge at all and he's done so while destroying his OBP.

It's a disaster because it's the White Sox making a move just to make a move and settling for a guy. Escobar's track record of being this type of player is much longer. Hernandez has a few more balls not go over hte fence and he's trash.

Alright.  I will let you remain outraged.  The Sox got better and there wasn't exactly a plethora of options for big impact bats at 2B.  The best options were all having terrible seasons. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Is it because Escoabar was Arizona's freebie all-star? Is that why people think he's so great?

I think it's because Escobar actually has a track record of being a good home run hitter. Hernandez never hit for much power before this year. He's on pace to hit nearly 30 and his previous career high was like 15. But like I pointed out, he's trying something new this year and it's gotten him 18 homers. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I mentioned it improves the back end of their roster; that is indisputable. But I want to win a World Series and I wanted a player that could make an impact. I wanted a sure thing upgrade that is an exciting piece. I didn't want a guy who could feasibly get outplayed by Garcia in a smaller sample.

Both of these are just not true.  Hernandez is a better version of Leury....and I think he has a team option for next year.

Escobar .246/.300/.478 105 RC+ 2 WAR

Cesar .231/.307/.431 100 RC+  1.8 WAR

Leury .247/.325/.348  90 RC+  1.1 WAR

Hernandez is also now our co-leader in HR.

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It kind of is considering he hit better after his supposed injury. Unless they were talking about vaccination status, like Ron mentioned. 

I mean, if my team doctors say that isn't good, I have to trust them.  They aren't perfect but I'm not a doctor

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

My only worry about this move is that Leury is going to get a LOT of RF starts. We need Robert back fast, so we can get Vaughn-Robert-Engel/sheets

I don't think so.  Leury joins the Engel/Goodwin/Sheets rotation in RF, but Engel is playing against LHP which is what Leury hits better.  This move reduces Leurys play, not increases. 

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

My only worry about this move is that Leury is going to get a LOT of RF starts. We need Robert back fast, so we can get Vaughn-Robert-Engel/sheets

At least this probably means Goodwin stops getting starts in CF. 

• Like 1

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic