Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

Indians Reddit is very meh on this. They feel like Cesar's defense has been a let down this year, but his being the 5th best clutch HR hitter has them bummed that they traded him to us specifically. and everyone is underwhelmed with Konnor because he needs to be rule5 protected next year, and they don't want that. So at least we made their fanbase even more miserable than their awful existence already. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Love to go to the Cleveland board and hear what they're saying about this move. 

They seem to understand it on Reddit but are surprised they traded him to us. A lot of them don't think they can really compete this year due to the injuries to Bieber and Civale. Both are at least 3 weeks from a return and they're 8.5 games back..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

huh? league average is good when you're surrounded by stars.  sox never made stars and scrubs work, that was the approach prior to the rebuild.

Yeah, when you have guys like eloy, Robert, giolito, Lynn, rodon, grandal and others then having some 1.5 to 2 war guys to compliment those guys is pretty good, what killed the Sox when they had that core with sale, quantana, Eaton, konerko was that they had a lot of 0 and even negative 1 war guys on the roster. Getting a league average guy for a 0.5 war guy in leury (using projections Here, I know he has done OK this year) is quite an upgrade. 

9 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

from what ive seen Escobar is a statpadder while Hernandez is clutch

plus the 6m option for a consistent ~2 fWAR 2B is a nice perk

easy W on this trade (especially if the price for Escobar was Collins)

Why Collins can’t hit or catch? I thought it was crazy that our reason for not catching Mercedes was because he needed more refinement behind the plate then we send him to Charlotte where he DHs and plays first. Looks to me like a Williams/ Hahn move to cover their asses on a really bad use of a #1 draft pick.

Edited by upsoxfan
  • Like 1

Just now, upsoxfan said:

Why Collins can’t hit or catch. I thought it was crazy that our reason for not catching Mercedes was because he needed more refinement behind the plate then we send him to Charlotte where he DHs and plays first. Looks to me like a Williams/ Hahn move to cover their asses on a really bad use of a #1 draft pick.

A really bad use of a #1 pick is a guy who flames out in AA

This is a real nice deal - he was due for a positive regression in his average, can play some d, has an option for next year at a reasonable price (gives them depth), can play nice d, and if you adjust for his BAPIP regression - he'd have a pretty solid OBP. My original reaction was meh - but it has shifted to this is a real nice move.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I've always liked this guy, was very underrated with the Phillies. It does seem like he's declined a bit, but he's a good OBP who has found some power, and his numbers this year have been dragged down by a low BABIP, so there's room for the right kind of regression.

This is a good pickup IMO.

This.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The pop isn't sustainable either imo. If you wanted pop and a low obp should have gotten escobar. 

If his pop isn't sustainable and you think he will revert back, then I will gladly take his old .350 OBP self. 

I'm not even sure if you're arguing he will revert back to his old self, or that he has declined but is just getting lucky with all his homeruns.

• Like 2

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic