Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If his pop isn't sustainable and you think he will revert back, then I will gladly take his old .350 OBP self. 

I'm not even sure if you're arguing he will revert back to his old self, or that he has declined but is just getting lucky with all his homeruns.

Not exactly how it works. 

I'm arguing his change in approach is not sustainable and when the fly balls stop going over the fence he'll be a replacement level player 

Its not an earth shattering move, but it works for me. They have essentially made two upgrades. First, they got someone at least functionally viable at 2B. Second, they have now effectively added a versatile supersub (Garcia had not been a supersub because until now he was stuck as an everyday regular).

34 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Indians Reddit is very meh on this. They feel like Cesar's defense has been a let down this year, but his being the 5th best clutch HR hitter has them bummed that they traded him to us specifically. and everyone is underwhelmed with Konnor because he needs to be rule5 protected next year, and they don't want that. So at least we made their fanbase even more miserable than their awful existence already. 

A good compromise is when both parties are unhappy. 

Less Leury and Dickman, lots of power for a 7-9 hitter, I'm a fan of the deal. 

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Really boring move.. its nice to have a real 2b now, but a very mild upgrade for a team with ws aspirations 

The number of times everyone has listed the 7-8-9 hitters and said "This is awful why can't we have one professional hitter" is justification enough for this being a solid move.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Ahhhhh man..........Not a fan of this guy or this move.  Only solace I take is he has hit 18 homers this year, we need more pop, but over his career he is not a homerun hitter.  This dude has to bat 9th when everybody is back in the line-up.   

Our #9 hitter with 18 HR's. I'm OK with Hernandez for two months.

• Like 1

White Sox trade for a cheap second baseman who now leads the team in homeruns, won a gold glove last year, and could be a solid utility bench player next year in exchange for a somewhat declining prospect.

Soxtalk says, “that sucks.”

• Like 5

Someone probably has, but I don’t feel like looking at 10 pages…has anyone else pointed out his .256 BABIP compared to his career .330? 

It’s not a sexy move, but it fills a hole and we gave up little to nothing. Hernandez at 2B, Luery back in a bench utility role, and Mendick back in AAA definitely makes a better team….even if it’s not a whole lot. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Someone probably has, but I don’t feel like looking at 10 pages…has anyone else pointed out his .256 BABIP compared to his career .330? 

It’s not a sexy move, but it fills a hole and we have up little to nothing. Hernandez at 2B, Luery back in a bench utility role, and Mendick back in AAA definitely makes a better team….even if it’s not a whole lot. 

Could the lower BABIP be a result of him lifting the ball more and going for more power? Or is that too big of a drop where there has to be some bad luck involved? I’m far from a BABIP expert. 

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It’s not a sexy move, but it fills a hole and we have up little to nothing. Hernandez at 2B, Luery back in a bench utility role, and Mendick back in AAA definitely makes a better team….even if it’s not a whole lot. 

The lower BABIP might be because he's hitting more fly balls. It's also why he's got a career high in homers. 

SS - Anderson

3B - Moncada

1B - Abreu / Sheets

DH - Eloy / Abreu / Grandal / Sheets

C - Grandal / Collins

CF - Robert

LF - Vaughn / Eloy

RF - Engle / Vaughn

2B - Hernandez

Im ok with that. Would still like a RF upgrade and two pen arms.

I still don't get this from an Indians perspective unless they really really like the prospect.  Sending someone to a division rival , if he helps the Sox win, makes the Sox a lot of money, and makes their road back to contention longer. The Indians are toast, but it doesn't appear they just acquired the left handed version of Shane Beiber. 

6 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It’s not a sexy move, but it fills a hole and we gave up little to nothing. Hernandez at 2B, Luery back in a bench utility role, and Mendick back in AAA definitely makes a better team….even if it’s not a whole lot. 

Definitely.  The discussion was all of his metrics seem to indicate he is selling out for power this year.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I still don't get this from an Indians perspective unless they really really like the prospect.  Sending someone to a division rival , if he helps the Sox win, makes the Sox a lot of money, and makes their road back to contention longer. The Indians are toast, but it doesn't appear they just acquired the left handed version of Shane Beiber. 

Thinking like Cleveland, this saves them $6 million next year and a couple-ish million this year.

And should have just as many homers if not more homers in Chicago than CLE, although we say that with every acquisition…at least he’s a pro’s pro you can count on and will make Anderson better as part of that DP combo.

Most importantly, no adjustment period…can hit the ground running against AL Central opponents.

Then you have no injury or Covid concerns, a really hot stretch in recent months and the flexibility provided by the 2022 in case they want to keep him over Leury (that requires Engel proving he can stay healthy, too.) 

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic