Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I told you he was as good as gone 😉

And other teams are not going to value our A ball and below starters highly enough (based mostly on raw potential) to make trading them logical.

He was the bridge between Lambert/Stiever and everyone else below…and most teams have to be skeptical about Lambert sticking as a starter. 

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

And other teams are not going to value our A ball and below starters highly enough (based mostly on raw potential) to make trading them logical.

He was the bridge between Lambert/Stiever and everyone else below…and most teams have to be skeptical about Lambert sticking as a starter. 

I'd rather have Pilkington than Stiever or Lambert tbh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Always the bridesmaid never the bride. That’s how this team operates, doesn’t surprise me. 

This team operates by bringing studs into the minors and promoting from within. which is the exact opposite of most White Sox years of my life. And look, we are an elite American League team. 

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Like 2

I wonder how much the option of next year comes into play as well. If you consider Leury in his last arbitration year will probably fall between 4-4.5 million dollars. Hernandez's options seem like a no-brainer to pick up and let Garcia walk. 

1 minute ago, kwill said:

I wonder how much the option of next year comes into play as well. If you consider Leury in his last arbitration year will probably fall between 4-4.5 million dollars. Hernandez's options seem like a no-brainer to pick up and let Garcia walk. 

Leury is a free agent no arbitration. 

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is really the only decent angle is it gives them more depth. It makes their last man on roster a little better but the improvement to the starting grip is minimal at best. 

Gotta disagree here.  The big benefit of Hernandez is he’s significantly better against RHP than Leury.  Since 2017 he’s put up a 104 wRC+, while Leury is only at 80.  That is a massive improvement and provides the potential for a pretty good platoon at 2B given Leury’s strength against LHP (108 wRC+ over the same time period).  But I agree the depth aspect is also very important.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

White Sox trade for a cheap second baseman who now leads the team in homeruns, won a gold glove last year, and could be a solid utility bench player next year in exchange for a somewhat declining prospect.

Soxtalk says, “that sucks.”

And on top of it, there was actually a post comparing the acquisition to Wal-Mart - and it got 4 likes.

Can we put our fan base on the trade market? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Gotta love the little internet GMs. Gold Glove 2B with 18 HRs is the equivalent to Wal-Mart. 

The Sox essentially got the equivalent to Escobar for an extra  year instead of Escobar for a couple months. For less than what most people were willing to give up for Escobar

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I was kind of fixated on Story, but Cesar is fine. I also like that there is a reasonable team option 

I actually mentioned previously that Escobar would make a great utility player next year and maybe getting him in house would convince him to accept such a role in 2022, but with this team option we basically get a similar player on a reasonable one year deal.  Almost seems like a no-brainer that option gets picked.

10 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

And on top of it, there was actually a post comparing the acquisition to Wal-Mart - and it got 4 likes.

Can we put our fan base on the trade market? 

Soxtalk is full of miserable fans. Just check out any game-thread.

• Thanks 1

It is funny how you can have 13 pages of decently nuanced discussion (mostly @chw42 kicking ass) that arrives at an approximation of a board consensus that this is a solid if unspectacular move that will help the team then someone will waltz in and post "Horrible fucking trade, this guy sucks shit" and it feels just a little bit deflating.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Does a package of Pilkington and Tyler Johnson seem better than what the DBacks got for Escobar?

Johnson move shouldn't be lumped in. It was strictly procedural. They'll sign him to MiLB later in the year. 

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic