Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

I really liked what Hernandez did in his debut. Got a hit that resulted in a 2 run inning and laid down an incredibly well placed and smart bunt (I don't like bunts, mind you) in the 8th to get 2 runners into scoring position when we really needed one more run. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

He looking the part on both sides of the ball. 

He *looks* like he should steal 90 bases. I don’t get it. But so does Moncada *look*. One of life’s mysteries. I will say that as long as he shows smart speed on the basepaths and good small ball game, that is another team need on top of raw hitting and fielding. Going forward the Sox need a speed injection. That’s why I am hopeful on Cespedes because where else it can come from other than Robert I do not know. 

17 hours ago, chw42 said:

I really liked what Hernandez did in his debut. Got a hit that resulted in a 2 run inning and laid down an incredibly well placed and smart bunt (I don't like bunts, mind you) in the 8th to get 2 runners into scoring position when we really needed one more run. 

I liked what I saw with the bat...especially that he knows how to bunt.  He didn't have many chances to show off defensively other than he covered 1st base nicely on that Cleveland bunt.  Want to see him turn the DP and cover some grounders before I can say I like him.  Overall I thought he looked very good.

19 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I liked what I saw with the bat...especially that he knows how to bunt.  He didn't have many chances to show off defensively other than he covered 1st base nicely on that Cleveland bunt.  Want to see him turn the DP and cover some grounders before I can say I like him.  Overall I thought he looked very good.

He’s a ball player. Lots of us here wanted him when he was done in Philly.

Just now, Joshua Strong said:

I like the Hernandez addition but he shouldn't be batting second at all.

He should bat 7th, 8th or 9th. Especially when Grandal and Robert are healthy. 

I'd rather have Moncada back in the 2 hole. He hasn't been producing in the 5 hole. Hernandez has more power right now so it might be smart to hit him 5th. 

Just now, chw42 said:

I'd rather have Moncada back in the 2 hole. He hasn't been producing in the 5 hole. Hernandez has more power right now so it might be smart to hit him 5th. 

Yeah I like Moncada batting second, he should bat there everyday when he's in the lineup and one the day's he not in the lineup, Vaughn should be hitting there. 

When everyone is healthy I hope the lineup looks like this...

1. Anderson
  2. Moncada
  3. Abreu
  4. Eloy
  5. Grandal
  6. Robert
  7. Vaughn
  8. Engel/Goodwin
  9. Hernandez

5 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I like the Hernandez addition but he shouldn't be batting second at all.

He should bat 7th, 8th or 9th. Especially when Grandal and Robert are healthy. 

Until you get back the rest of the starters, guys are going to be playing outside of the slots they really should be in.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Until you get back the rest of the starters, guys are going to be playing outside of the slots they really should be in.

That's very true but I'd still rather seeing Herhandez hitting 5th or 6th in our injury riddled lineup than bat second, especially when Moncada and Vaughn are there.

On 7/30/2021 at 11:16 PM, chw42 said:

I don't like bunts either as sacrifices, but it looked like he was trying to bunt for a hit there, so I think it was a smart play.  Sacrifice was worst case scenario in that situation (hit was the best case) and like you mentioned it is already the 8th inning and getting 2 guys in scoring position it is worth the out sacrifice in my book. 

Sacrificing in the 2nd inning or when you have 4-5 hard hit balls in a row is NOT the right situation to bunt.