Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

26 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The Hernandez trade was perplexing at the time, and still is.  I didn't think he was a drastic improvement over Leury, and it's appearing that may be so.  He needs to bat 9th, then it's fine/whatever.

The day they traded for him I was fine with him as a rental. Then the next day happened where they traded Madrigal basically guaranteeing they pick up that option for next year. I'm pretty meh about him and think maybe someone from our system should play 2B instead (Romy).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

The day they traded for him I was fine with him as a rental. Then the next day happened where they traded Madrigal basically guaranteeing they pick up that option for next year. I'm pretty meh about him and think maybe someone from our system should play 2B instead (Romy).

He’d be fine as a Leury utility guy next year…problem is he’s never played much other than 2B. He’s been pretty bad after the first week. Definitely doesn’t look like any more than a average defender either. I’ll be disappointed if he’s the 2B next year, but I am prepared for that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I would be okay, with calling him up in September and seeing what happens lol.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 7:40 PM, ron883 said:

Konnor Pilkington continues to dominate AA. He's got a .95 whip, 10.8 SO/9. I thought it was an overpay then and I think it is an overpay now. Could have gotten Escobar for scraps. 

Pilkington is going to make Hahn look like a dope. He's having one hell of a season. We have shitty old Cesar Hernandez. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He was never a power hitter who sold out for power that wasn't sustainable?

Guess so. Just weird that he hit all those while playing in a not very homer friendly park and then he comes to Chicago and he's only hit 1...in a very homer friendly park.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

On 7/29/2021 at 11:52 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not exactly how it works. 

I'm arguing his change in approach is not sustainable and when the fly balls stop going over the fence he'll be a replacement level player 

I tried to tell @ron883 right here!

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

On 7/29/2021 at 10:51 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Because on a total package value basis this year they're similar players? One is on a 2.5 per 600 pace the other a 2.2 per 600 pace. In a sample of 70 games, we're talking about replacing just a guy with just another guy. Cesar has a 307 obp with a hr/fb rats 7% higher than his previous career high.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:53 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The pop isn't sustainable either imo. If you wanted pop and a low obp should have gotten escobar. 

Was really hoping to be wrong about this and Kimbrel. Sadly both have been a train wreck.

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Guess so. Just weird that he hit all those while playing in a not very homer friendly park and then he comes to Chicago and he's only hit 1...in a very homer friendly park.

I wasnt a fan of his approach change this year at all. The decent OBP guy before was a more reliable piece. Trading for Cesar Hernandez for "pop" never made any sense.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Was really hoping to be wrong about this and Kimbrel. Sadly both have been a train wreck.

And the one trade deadline guy who has worked out cuts his finger on a door knob or something?  What the actual fuck?

Tony loves him some veterans.

External acquisitions since the jump:

• Adam Eaton (Age: 32-283d)
  • Mike Wright (Age: 31-255d)
  • Liam Hendriks (Age: 32-217d)
  • Billy Hamilton (Age: 31-006d) 
  • Jake Lamb (Age: 30-341d)
  • Brian Goodwin  (Age: 30-317d)
  • Cesar Hernandez (Age: 31-116d) 
  • Ryan Tepera (Age: 33-317d)
  • Craig Kimbrel (Age: 33-111d)
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Pretty soon we may have to do a rebuild for a rebuild. Lol

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The only thing that will right the ship will be if the do well in October. No one will remember August/September if they make some great memories for us in the postseason.

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I wasnt a fan of his approach change this year at all. The decent OBP guy before was a more reliable piece. Trading for Cesar Hernandez for "pop" never made any sense.

Seeing Madrigal play on the northside is going to sting a lot more than what people realize, I think. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Luckily, most of them are scrubs.

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The only thing that will right the ship will be if the do well in October. No one will remember August/September if they make some great memories for us in the postseason.

Why would anyone care about August/September? The regular season is about making it to the playoffs. If the Sox miss the playoffs then those months matter.

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Isn't that the purpose of a rebuild. Build a young, talented core then supplement with veteran FA?

• Thanks 1

Just now, ptatc said:

Why would anyone care about August/September? The regular season is about making it to the playoffs. If the Sox miss the playoffs then those months matter.

I don't think it's unreasonable to care about home field advantage...this team does play better at home.  I know they will not catch Tampa but the #2 seed would be nice.

Just now, wegner said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to care about home field advantage...this team does play better at home.  I know they will not catch Tampa but the #2 seed would be nice.

It's not a secret the Sox play so much better on the south side. Would be nice if Houston started slumping...but unfortunately the teams they're playing right now and to come aren't exactly world beaters.