Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

On 7/31/2021 at 1:32 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

He *looks* like he should steal 90 bases. I don’t get it. But so does Moncada *look*. One of life’s mysteries. I will say that as long as he shows smart speed on the basepaths and good small ball game, that is another team need on top of raw hitting and fielding. Going forward the Sox need a speed injection. That’s why I am hopeful on Cespedes because where else it can come from other than Robert I do not know. 

I think Cesar is capable of stealing quite a few bases, but think of his situation in Cleveland. He batted leadoff. Reyes was out for a significant amount of the season. If he steals 2b, Ramirez is just intentionally walked. He had the red light. I watched one game that was tied late with Cesar on first and the announcer said don't expect him to go as he hasn't stolen all year. He went and had it stolen easy but the ball was fouled off. 2 pitches later he swiped the bag easy. I expect he'll run some for us. Of course pito will swing though.

28 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

I think Cesar is capable of stealing quite a few bases, but think of his situation in Cleveland. He batted leadoff. Reyes was out for a significant amount of the season. If he steals 2b, Ramirez is just intentionally walked. He had the red light. I watched one game that was tied late with Cesar on first and the announcer said don't expect him to go as he hasn't stolen all year. He went and had it stolen easy but the ball was fouled off. 2 pitches later he swiped the bag easy. I expect he'll run some for us. Of course pito will swing though.

Please intentionally walk Abreu more once Eloy is in the lineup?

1 hour ago, beautox said:

I wonder if the FO has Cesar Prieto in their mid term plans. He's a second basemen should be available this upcoming international period with Colas and is also left handed.

Some more information here & here. Video here

He’s the Cuban left handed Nick Madrigal. Though, he’s got rounded shoulders so no thank you.

Seriously, sign me up. Massive Prieto bonerville.

• Haha 2

On 8/3/2021 at 10:13 PM, beautox said:

I wonder if the FO has Cesar Prieto in their mid term plans. He's a second basemen should be available this upcoming international period with Colas and is also left handed.

Some more information here & here. Video here

I don't think they have the money to land Prieto because they're committing $2.7 million to Oscar Colas and only have just over $5 million to spend. 

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Pilkington with 9k in 5ip in his debut. I have a feeling he will turn into a decent starter. I hate that we gave him up in the first place. 

It is what it is. The White Sox don't have the 40-man space to protect him this winter any way and he likely gets taken in the Rule 5. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think they have the money to land Prieto because they're committing $2.7 million to Oscar Colas and only have just over $5 million to spend. 

It is what it is. The White Sox don't have the 40-man space to protect him this winter any way and he likely gets taken in the Rule 5. 

Def part of the "being a good team" cycle.  Not having room on the 40 man is something other teams can take advantage of now when dealing with the Sox.  Kinda is what it is.

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Who are some of the names you expect the Sox to protect?  

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Do we know any of the other names the sox are connected to?

7 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Darn - I hope they get both and I know that Colas is already in the bag without being in the bag yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Clearly Pilkington is going to win several Cy Youngs in his future, and most likely, if he stays healthy, be in the HOF. Hernandez is up there in all time terrible, but not as bad as Madrigal who definitely would be the worst player ever to put on a major league uniform if Zack Collins wasn't standing in the way.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The Hernandez trade was perplexing at the time, and still is.  I didn't think he was a drastic improvement over Leury, and it's appearing that may be so.  He needs to bat 9th, then it's fine/whatever.

Preferring Leury as a permanent starter to anyone seems like some serious backup QB syndrome.