Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Yeah, Mendick is a really good defender at second. Defensively they dont improve much, if at all

His DRS is -3, his revised zone rating is .757 and his URZ/150 is -1.2.

How is that good? 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I dont care what we gave up, I care that this is a move that makes the bench depth deeper but does not guarantee an improvement to the starting group. And it's not a "very big upgrade" when from a total package value standpoint they've been similar players this year. 

I am not in love with this move either, but Hernandez is a superior player to Leury.  Hernandez a lifetime 100 wRC+ hitter; Leury 77.  Hernandez an above average defensive 2B.  Leury is not.

I would have preferred Escobar, but Hernandez has basically been the same player this year with better defense.  Is it a sexy move?  Absolutely not.  But Pilkington is not exactly a focal point of our future and the team got better.  

Now go trade some 40 man stuff like Lambert, Lopez and Adolfo for some bullpen help. 

• Like 1

I've always liked this guy, was very underrated with the Phillies. It does seem like he's declined a bit, but he's a good OBP who has found some power, and his numbers this year have been dragged down by a low BABIP, so there's room for the right kind of regression.

This is a good pickup IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, mqr said:

In what way does adding a 100wrc+ Replacing an 85 guy not equal an improvement. 

Because on a total package value basis this year they're similar players? One is on a 2.5 per 600 pace the other a 2.2 per 600 pace. In a sample of 70 games, we're talking about replacing just a guy with just another guy. Cesar has a 307 obp with a hr/fb rats 7% higher than his previous career high.

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

Anyone check on the NotCishek and the Burger Boys to see if they are Hanging out high 5s for nailing this one? 

Portillos was taking heat and he got all butthurt for the reliever trade not happening 

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

You really think Leury and his .474 OPS vs. teams above .500 is the same as having a league average hitter with pop at 2B? BTW, Hernandez's splits vs. good teams looks about the same as his splits vs. bad teams. 

Yep was just gonna post this.  I like the move.

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

On a per PA basis, leury garcia and cesar Hernandez are nearly identical in worth this year. ROS you're talking a projected difference of like .1-.2 fWAR. 

Garcia was your second baseman when Robert came back. This is hardly an upgrade.

Cesar is typically good with the glove. And his 18 homers show that he can run into one at a moment's notice. Leury has more value moving around the diamond for us than as a mainstay at 2nd. 

• Like 1

With what Cleveland does with their pitching, I expect Pilkington to shut us down in the 2nd game of a DH very soon.  I wish him the best,,,maybe not since it is Cleveland but good luck nonetheless young man.

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I've always liked this guy, was very underrated with the Phillies. It does seem like he's declined a bit, but he's a good OBP who has found some power, and his numbers this year have been dragged down by a low BABIP, so there's room for the right kind of regression.

This is a good pickup IMO.

He has a 307 obp.

• Like 1

• bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic