Are We Done Dealing.....

2Deep

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If healthy, they are fine. They already have seen that keeping them healthy may be a tall task as Eloy already has an issue, and it wasn't because of being stupid. The way these teams are stacking themselves up, I hope the Sox have the thought more  reinforcements still are most likely necessary.

Agreed, players returning from long injury layoffs often pick up niggling little injuries as their body isn't attuned to top level sport.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If healthy, they are fine. They already have seen that keeping them healthy may be a tall task as Eloy already has an issue, and it wasn't because of being stupid. The way these teams are stacking themselves up, I hope the Sox have the thought more  reinforcements still are most likely necessary.

They could be fine and still get beat in the playoffs, especially now that they’ve fallen back to a 3 seed where every series is likely to be on the road. When other teams are losing themselves up thanks to a couple major teams selling off, there are some moves that could be made that might very well have leverage over the entire playoffs, at fairly reasonable prices.

With how this has gone, it would be very disappointing if they already ran out of funds and that was the reason they couldn’t get Kimbrel. Or if they just declared themselves satisfied. Hell, the Cubs already paid Rizzo’s deal.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They could be fine and still get beat in the playoffs, especially now that they’ve fallen back to a 3 seed where every series is likely to be on the road. When other teams are losing themselves up thanks to a couple major teams selling off, there are some moves that could be made that might very well have leverage over the entire playoffs, at fairly reasonable prices.

With how this has gone, it would be very disappointing if they already ran out of funds and that was the reason they couldn’t get Kimbrel. Or if they just declared themselves satisfied. Hell, the Cubs already paid Rizzo’s deal.

They can probably use another starter. Face it, there is a decent chance a pitcher or 2 goes down between now and the playoffs. Considering Jimmy Lambert is who they call up to be a spot starter, they are really short. As much fun as Kris Bryant would be, although I see no way the Cubs give him the opportunity to help the Sox this year, more pitching is probably more necessary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They can probably use another starter. Face it, there is a decent chance a pitcher or 2 goes down between now and the playoffs. Considering Jimmy Lambert is who they call up to be a spot starter, they are really short. As much fun as Kris Bryant would be, although I see no way the Cubs give him the opportunity to help the Sox this year, more pitching is probably more necessary. 

I wonder if Texas settles on Gibson now that gallo is officially gone. Less pretense for immediate competition.

If it were my roster, I would start by grabbing one more 8th inning reliever and immediately begin giving Kopech some spot starts, either to rest Rodon or  to go with a 6 man rotation. That way, when the playoffs come, I have the option of using Kopech for 1 inning or, if someone gets in trouble or a game goes to extra innings,, bringing him in for 3-4 to hold the line together. Also gives me insurance if a starter does go down.

I also can’t for the life of me figure out why the White Sox haven’t turned Adolfo into something. Even if they want to hold onto him next year he will be a square peg in a round hole, forced into a roster spot where he isn’t a good platoon option and he’s on a team that’s already right handed heavy and where he needs to produce immediately. A team selling an OF like Cubs or Washington could find so much more value in him than us. Yeah he’s not a top prospect but he’s got at least as good of a chance of starting as the guys the Rangers or Cubs got back.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Cubs stole two of the Yankees top prospects for a few months of Rizzo at the end of a lost season on the North side.  I would be wary of any trade with the Cubs. They have set their sites high. In fact the Mets, who have expressed trade interest in some of the Cub players,  have called the return ask almost laughable.

1 minute ago, tray said:

Cubs stole two of the Yankees top prospects for a few months of Rizzo at the end of a lost season on the North side.  I would be wary of any trade with the Cubs. They have set their sites high. In fact the Mets, who have expressed trade interest in some of the Cub players,  have called the return ask almost laughable.

The Cubs paid the rest of Rizzos salary, they bought those prospects they didn't steal them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Cubs paid the rest of Rizzos salary, they bought those prospects they didn't steal them

That's why the Sox aren't going to be a good trading partner for the Cubs' big names. Cubs would rather eat the salary and get better prospects back, while the Sox would rather take on the contract and not have to give up the better prospects.

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

That's why the Sox aren't going to be a good trading partner for the Cubs' big names. Cubs would rather eat the salary and get better prospects back, while the Sox would rather take on the contract and not have to give up the better prospects.

What sign have we seen that the white sox are willing to take on salary to lighten the load?

The Cubs picked the Yankees pocket for two of their top prospects in exchange for Rizzo, who was absolutely worthless to them.

Rizzo would have been entitled to the balance of the money on his contract anyway, so the Cubs got prospects for essentially nothing. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tray said:

The Cubs picked the Yankees pocket for two of their top prospects in exchange for Rizzo, who was absolutely worthless to them.

Rizzo would have been entitled to the balance of the money on his contract anyway, so the Cubs got prospects for essentially nothing. 

Man you are twisting yourself into a pretzel with this argument 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I also can’t for the life of me figure out why the White Sox haven’t turned Adolfo into something. Even if they want to hold onto him next year he will be a square peg in a round hole, forced into a roster spot where he isn’t a good platoon option and he’s on a team that’s already right handed heavy and where he needs to produce immediately. A team selling an OF like Cubs or Washington could find so much more value in him than us. Yeah he’s not a top prospect but he’s got at least as good of a chance of starting as the guys the Rangers or Cubs got back.

The Cubs and Rangers got legitimate prospects back.  Seeing as Adolofo turns 25 in a little over a month and was carrying like a 35% K-rate in AA, I can see why teams don't want him.  

13 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

When do we enjoy taking on salary?

34 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Have to be Lopez…don’t think they can trust Lambert.

7 minutes ago, tray said:

They bought the prospects. Another team might have taken Rizzo's contract for nothing. The Cubs would rather pay and get a #7 and #12 prospect. That way it also doesn't look like a salary dump to the fanbase with one of the highest ticket prices in baseball.

9 minutes ago, tray said:

Just gonna keep saying the same wrong thing, huh 

• Like 2

They bought the prospects. Another team might have taken Rizzo's contract for nothing. The Cubs would rather pay and get a #7 and #12 prospect. That way it also doesn't look like a salary dump to the fanbase with one of the highest ticket prices in baseball.

Have to sell Marquee subscriptions for next year somehow…based on Happ, Hoerner, Wisdom and Hendricks?

Need some type of plausible hope for the future. Financial savings for the Ricketts Family doesn’t exactly do the trick.

Edited by caulfield12

tray post in 20 minutes:

"The yankees pocket was picked by the cubs, all for the worthless rizzo. Jokes on the yankees, the cubs already expected to pay rizzos salary, and get two prospects instead? Yes Please!"

• Haha 2

The day isn’t over yet, so who knows what’s yet to happen, but when you see a team as strong as the Dodgers add the likes of both Scherzer AND Turner, while we settled for Hernandez at second and still have a hole in RF, it makes you wonder whether we can play with the big boys or not.  I mean, the Yankees find a way to add not one but two powerful bats in Gallo and Rizzo, and all we add is Hernandez?  Are we really that good when fully healthy that Hernandez and a bullpen arm or two is all we need?  

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

The day isn’t over yet, so who knows what’s yet to happen, but when you see a team as strong as the Dodgers add the likes of both Scherzer AND Turner, while we settled for Hernandez at second and still have a hole in RF, it makes you wonder whether we can play with the big boys or not.  I mean, the Yankees find a way to add not one but two powerful bats in Gallo and Rizzo, and all we add is Hernandez?  Are we really that good when fully healthy that Hernandez and a bullpen arm or two is all we need?  

No one beats the Dodgers on paper. The nice thing is that right now the Dodgers have a good chance to be in a 1 game playoff. They could get beat and not even be a factor in the playoffs. The best team on paper doesn’t always win the whole thing, let alone repeat. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There’s almost 60 games left and they are 2.5 out of the top seed.   They have an easier road than the AL East.  I hope they do more.  They should do more, but worrying about seeding right now is the least of the issues

I was wrong on Engel before.. i thought he was 4OF/AAAA trash. I thought he was a player for a 72 win team. hand up, that was wrong. I now think he is a legit starter in this league and can be our everyday RF for a World Series team. Call me crazy. He just looks good. 

I also don't like getting in a pissing match based on what others are doing. Take care of our own and win our own ball games. Who cares what the Dodgers or Padres are doing. 

That said, if the price for Bryant is reasonable? I'm not going to complain as it definitely adds a lethal bat, a guy who can play a buncha positions, etc. I'd give up Burger and Lambert for that in a heartbeat.