If you're disappointed today, take solace in the fact that you don't know sh*t and are always wrong

35thstreetswarm

You might find yourself feeling glum today when the Sox don't make the move you were hoping for. When you get there -- hitting "delete" on the "Bryant in a Sox jersey" image you've been working up, burning with envy as the Yankees sign three more players to supercharge their push for third in the AL East -- please just take comfort in the fact that you really have no clue what you're talking about, and a strong track record of being super wrong. 

Instead of dwelling on the players your team didn't get in the moment, revel in *your* great moments from the season past:  cursing the FO in the offseason for failing to convert on CY-level internet troll and Miller Man of the Year candidate Trevor Bauer.  Shaking your head as the Sox raided the bargain bin for Carlos f'ing Rodon instead of spending merely triple on Corey Kluber, James Paxton, Garrett Richards or the many other clearly better alternatives obvious to anyone who was not a complete idiot. Or lamenting the Sox's inability to land perfect-fit Marcell Ozuna.  Or nodding your head knowingly as you cast your Soxtalk poll vote for the Sox to take third in the AL central in this "development year," when the title clearly goes through the battle-tested Bomba Squad.  Close your eyes, inhale deeply, and let the realization of your own ineptitude wash out all the negativity like a mighty tide. Then open them, look at the standings, and draw yourself a nice hot bath.  It will all be OK!  (Or maybe not, but likely not for the reasons your dumb ass supposes.)  Cheers!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 4
  • Fire 8

6 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

You might find yourself feeling glum today when the Sox don't make the move you were hoping for. When you get there -- hitting "delete" on the "Bryant in a Sox jersey" image you've been working up, burning with envy as the Yankees sign three more players to supercharge their push for third in the AL East -- please just take comfort in the fact that you really have no clue what you're talking about, and a strong track record of being super wrong. 

Instead of dwelling on the players your team didn't get in the moment, revel in *your* great moments from the season past:  cursing the FO in the offseason for failing to convert on CY-level internet troll and Miller Man of the Year candidate Trevor Bauer.  Shaking your head as the Sox raided the bargain bin for Carlos f'ing Rodon instead of spending merely triple on Corey Kluber, James Paxton, Garrett Richards or the many other clearly better alternatives obvious to anyone who was not a complete idiot. Or lamenting the Sox's inability to land perfect-fit Marcell Ozuna.  Or nodding your head knowingly as you cast your Soxtalk poll vote for the Sox to take third in the AL central in this "development year," when the title clearly goes through the battle-tested Bomba Squad.  Close your eyes, inhale deeply, and let the realization of your own ineptitude wash out all the negativity like a mighty tide. Then open them, look at the standings, and draw yourself a nice hot bath.  It will all be OK!  (Or maybe not, but likely not for the reasons your dumb ass supposes.)  Cheers!

This would make sense if our front office wasn't as wrong as fans are as well for the most part. I'm happy with the deals we made but there are one or two more deals that should be made. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cancel SoxTalk.  Nothing to discuss.  They tried hard, that’s realistically all that we can ask for.

Certainly the Giants should have adopted the same stand pat posture this past offseason…or the Brewers/Rays, they never manage to better themselves.  Or maybe the key point is no headline making moves that “win the offseason” or “win the trade deadline.”

We should have really kept Loaiza in 2004 and not taken a risk with that Contreras guy, with AJ’s prickly personality, Scotty Pods off a disappointing sophomore year, not taken a risk with Dye’s leg, El Duque at age 50, with Everett’s or Jenks’ past…just rolled into year with Magglio, C-Lee and Valentin instead.

Because we could have been wrong about them all.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This would make sense if our front office wasn't as wrong as fans are as well for the most part. I'm happy with the deals we made but there are one or two more deals that should be made. 

Correct, if the FO judgement was so superior to the fans we would be running out of fingers to count our championships.  Also, it is a much bigger blunder when the FO has poor judgement vs a fan as they have much more information at their disposal.

37 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I agree with everything you're saying. As far as today goes, I never was holding out hope for some splashy pickup like Bryant. But I do think they need another reliever. If any one of Heuer, Ruiz, Burr or Lopez pitch even one significant inning in the playoffs, then we didn't do enough. Now maybe if any of them do pitch in the playoffs, and they miraculously somehow pitch well, then you can follow your Rodon analogy here. But do you believe that's likely? Isn't it naive to expect it to be so? We can certainly root for it and will. But it is about playing the odds. Getting better players create better odds. And there are better relievers out there than Heuer, Ruiz and Burr. 

27 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Correct, if the FO judgement was so superior to the fans we would be running out of fingers to count our championships.  Also, it is a much bigger blunder when the FO has poor judgement vs a fan as they have much more information at their disposal.

The point is they know better than we do and part of the reason is they have a LOT more information to work with than we do.  In fact, all FOs know much better than their fans do, yet only 8 teams make the playoffs (I don’t consider the play-in games to be playoff games) each year and only 1 team can win it all, despite the fact that all FOs’ collective “judgment [is] so superior to the fans’”.

Edited by asindc
  • Haha 1

I enjoy when people take arguments made across a number of different people, or perhaps the same argument made over and over by the same person, create a single person named "the board" which they can own over and over.

The board always has a dumb argument you can point to if you need. We are all so much smarter than the board.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

I remember a year we all wanted more than Geoff Blum and that turned out ok as well.   I’m happy with the moves made so far and am hoping for more.   However, I don’t want to mortgage the future for a marginal rental.    Let’s only make another move if it makes sense.

Like for another reliever. 

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

This is 98% a great post and spot on. 

The only issue is not with the specific players, but general philosophy about what is actually going on today. 

Rays-Blue Jays-Yankees-Dodgers-Padres are all making big moves to try and bolster their rosters to give them the best chance to win the World Series. 

The Sox acquired a utility man and bullpen arm that might throw 25 innings for them. 

If wanting them to be more aggressive is wrong.... then so are the Ryas-Blue Jays-Yankees-Dodgers-Padres. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Quoted for those with but one emoji.

I often try to remind myself that this is just a game and like none of the players are even from Chicago, most are just grown men a lot from foreign countries just “working”. Not sure why I get so worked up about, BUT I CANT FUCKING HELP IT.  🙂🙃

36 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is 98% a great post and spot on. 

The only issue is not with the specific players, but general philosophy about what is actually going on today. 

Rays-Blue Jays-Yankees-Dodgers-Padres are all making big moves to try and bolster their rosters to give them the best chance to win the World Series. 

The Sox acquired a utility man and bullpen arm that might throw 25 innings for them. 

If wanting them to be more aggressive is wrong.... then so are the Ryas-Blue Jays-Yankees-Dodgers-Padres. 

You fit a lot in the 2% lol...but you make a good point.  So if you are in the FO for a MLB team if you make minor moves or are very aggressive then I guess in both instances you are correct?  However, no matter if a fan has the opinion to make little to no moves or to be super aggressive then I guess they are wrong either way.  I actually like the moves Rick Hahn made yesterday, but I don't consider someone stupid because they think he should have tried to acquire some bigger pieces.

47 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I often try to remind myself that this is just a game and like none of the players are even from Chicago, most are just grown men a lot from foreign countries just “working”. Not sure why I get so worked up about, BUT I CANT FUCKING HELP IT.  🙂🙃

I'm a fair weather fan.  The way they are playing now I often don't watch.  I try to watch the minors or a NL team.  The NL West is fin to watch when the top 3 face each other.  One of them will lose a series against each other.