Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

Just now, Baron said:

When I hear high price that's what I think immediately. I dunno I could be moved to part with him. 

I am sure that is the ask.  It would be a horrible trade.  I get people want to win a WS. I do too!  But I value being good for 5-7 years more than taking 1 or 2 shots at it. Just my opinion.  Has seemingly been Hahn's consistent theme as well.  We'll see if he cracks.

Just now, fathom said:

Seems like R.Iglesias is a way better fit

yeah...I guess the problem right now is there are a lot of relievers available, the angels are naive, and his price might not be up enough for them to do it.

Just now, fathom said:

Seems like R.Iglesias is a way better fit

I agree. Will cost less, probably won't take the closer job from Hendriks. Liam seems like the kind of guy who would feel disrespected if they made a move for a guy to take his job from him. Maybe that'll make him pitch better...or worse. Who knows?

12 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Kimbrel with his contract has no surplus value, I‘d be surprised if the prospect price is huge

And for a team that cries poor every off-season, what a disaster it would be for the Sox to assume all that contract. Would likely mean we use him as an excuse to not spend next off-season.

• Like 1

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Yes. 

I'd like to see the deal expanded to include Bryant as well.

This is bonkers to me. The Sox don't spend big money on FA's, and you'd want to give 16 million a year to Kimbrel while ALSO giving up a young pitcher with 6 years of control and electric stuff?

That's a huge NO from me, dog.

Unless you mean only if Bryant was included, but for just Kimbrel that would be a flat out raping by the Cubs.

• Like 3

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is bonkers to me. The Sox don't spend big money on FA's, and you'd want to give 16 million a year to Kimbrel while ALSO giving up a young pitcher with 6 years of control and electric stuff?

That's a huge NO from me, dog.

Unless you mean only if Bryant was included, but for just Kimbrel that would be a flat out raping by the Cubs.

Mods called me out for saying this guy isn't smart but he's allowed to talk about rape.

Sad!

• Fire 4

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He SHOULD be but I doubt La Russa does that. 

Yes, but it’s better he saves his Australian pal as the closer for low leverage 3/4 run leads, than Kimbrel and Kopech (sadly stuck in Tony’s bullpen spiderweb), who could pitch in far more important situations.

Still think he’s headed to Boston or the two teams that don’t give a rats ass about the bullshit “luxury” tax (NYM / SD), with NYY being a long shot if the Cubs eat the entire salary (they too fret over the luxury tax despite record revenues).

I would be thrilled if we got kimbrel, but I'd be really happy with Fry or Iglesias. Shit, have Hahn do a Jesse Crain deal with the Twins for Rogers.

As long as rays are being weird, would love if we could get McHugh, would make me feel so much better for spot starts.

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Wut

Let me speak in smart man language so you can understand.

Kimbrel is owed 16 million next year. That would be the third largest annual contract the White Sox have ever given out, and we'd be giving it to an eighth inning reliever. That would be like 13% of their total payroll on an 8th inning reliever. If the Sox wanted to spend 16 million a year they should likely spend those resources on someone whose job isn't to pitch the 8th inning of games.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Kimbrel with his contract has no surplus value, I‘d be surprised if the prospect price is huge

Kimbrel has value for a team that would like a 16 million dollar reliever again next season.  On the open market he'd likely get a multi year deal similar to Liam's.  So there is definitely surplus value there.  

I'm not sure the Sox would want to pay that next year.  So if Kaplan is correct, I'd think we'd be trading him in the offseason.  

I asked a few days ago if Burger & Kelley would be too much to give up and the overwhelming response was that it was.  

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic