Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is bonkers to me. The Sox don't spend big money on FA's, and you'd want to give 16 million a year to Kimbrel while ALSO giving up a young pitcher with 6 years of control and electric stuff?

That's a huge NO from me, dog.

Unless you mean only if Bryant was included, but for just Kimbrel that would be a flat out raping by the Cubs.

We'd also be dedicating $30 million+ to 2 guys who will maybe throw 150 innings combined. Meanwhile we have a giant hole in RF. It would honestly be an irresponsible use of whatever limited money we have to spend. Maybe we end up trading him in the off-season though, that's always an option. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

He's right dude.  This team cannot afford to pay 2 relievers $30M.  Kimbrel takes the Sox effectively out of free agency this offseason.  No thanks. 

Like I said, if they make the move, it tells me they are serious about payroll expansion.  Heck you don't even ask about the guy otherwise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Getting Kimbrel would make the Sox the favorites to win the AL pennant. I still see them adding a lefty reliever as well though. 

Kimbrel would take the 8th. It’s Liams team until it isn’t. 

I honestly think Liam would have no problem pitching anywhere high leverage.  He got paid already, he's not fighting for a contract. 

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And for a team that cries poor every off-season, what a disaster it would be for the Sox to assume all that contract. Would likely mean we use him as an excuse to not spend next off-season.

So you were on a rant about the Sox "not hanging with the big boy contenders" the other night because teams were getting good players while we were settling on Tepera and Hernandez. Sox are in on a very good player, now it's "well he's paid too much, why are the Sox consuming all of that contract?" 

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1
  • Fire 3

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Like I said, if they make the move, it tells me they are serious about payroll expansion.  Heck you don't even ask about the guy otherwise.

I agree with this, but also if they don't spend in free agency I'm glad its money spent on an elite player already banked in.

It is...bizarre roster allocation, but whatever. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah asking for way, way more than that.  Probably would have to give up Vaughn for those two 

Kimbrel has zero surplus value; let's say because of the deadline and the desperation he's worth more than that by a little. You're talking a 45 FV prospect, not Andrew Vaughn.

Bryant has 1/2 a season left. What is he worth for that? Certainly not Andrew Vaughn. If those were the asking prices they would be absurd for this team to pay unless they want to resign Bryant - then go for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

I honestly think Liam would have no problem pitching anywhere high leverage.  He got paid already, he's not fighting for a contract. 

If you land Kimbrel, I don't think you worry about a lefty reliever. Kimbrel, Hendriks, Kopech, Tepera is a nasty back 4 regardless of handedness.

Plus, you have ultra talented lefties Bummer and Crochet. Just gotta hope they perform at that point.

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

I like Burger but I don’t think he has as much value as some people seem to believe he does.  

I think he will be a starting 3B for a long time.  I don't think he will ever be a star, but he has the tools to do the job effectively.  The kid can freaking hit.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, if it doesn’t cost anyone on the mlb roster it’s a risk I would be willing to take in hopes JR mans up and would still let us sign a SP and RF. But I’m not giving up Crochet in that deal, and until I see it, I won’t believe JR OKs $150M+ payrolls. 

I'd like to send them Yermin just to see how Cubs fans would react. I say this genuinely. I think some would hate Yermin, while others would sing his praises to the high heavens when he goes on a tear. It'd be like if sin city sox fan was making threads about signing him to extensions, but on 670 The Score.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We'd also be dedicating $30 million+ to 2 guys who will maybe throw 150 innings combined. Meanwhile we have a giant hole in RF. It would honestly be an irresponsible use of whatever limited money we have to spend. Maybe we end up trading him in the off-season though, that's always an option. 

Yup, and if the Cubs are going to eat all the salary they'll want good talent coming back (like the Rizzo deal). Kimbrel just isn't a fit given the role he'd have on this team imo. He's an addition a team that has shown a willingness to spend makes as a luxury, not a team that is pinching pennies every off-season.

Would love if we changed how we operate, but I've been fooled way too many times than to trust this organization with spending money and I don't need to hear that we can't fill holes because we gave 16 million to a set up man.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic